Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd Gear Popping Out

Old 09-16-2008, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gear Popping Out

A couple days ago my tranny started acting a little funny. Whenever I am driving and go from a stop, I can shift through all the gears without problems, however, when I am in say 4th gear, come to a turn and put it into 2nd, when I let the clutch pedal out, it will pop 2nd out. If I try again, it will almost always go in and stay in. If it happens where it pops out, but I try to hold it, there isn't any grinding or anything, it just pops out like it wasn't fully in gear.

I have a Pro 5.0 short shifter if that matters. I've been told the springs are weak in them, but I'm not sure that would even matter at all in this situation. I think I explained it right, but if something sounds weird just let me know, it's getting late
Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

you need a tranny rebuild, it isn't your shifer. mine did the same thing, but it was 3rd gear. it probably has a worn out pad or synchro.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Not the answer I was hoping for
Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by razorguy
Not the answer I was hoping for

it never is, sorry dude. i could be wrong...but most likely not. good news: it's like a $4 part, bad news: it's inside your transmission

several sponsors on here have excellent abilities with T56's, mine was built by Tick Performance. i'm sure you don't want to drop ~$1500-$2K on a big tranny build, so you'll wanna check out your local shops. you shouldn't be out too much money for the fix.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I was looking at Tick. I am like a 3 hour drive from them so I was considering making the drive instead of messing with shipping. Who knows. I have noticed my tranny hasn't been doing it at all today which is strange. Tomorrow is another day though
Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by razorguy
I was looking at Tick. I am like a 3 hour drive from them so I was considering making the drive instead of messing with shipping. Who knows. I have noticed my tranny hasn't been doing it at all today which is strange. Tomorrow is another day though
mine would do it completely at random as well. whatever you call the part that is responsible (can't remember), it's made of plastic. when you get your tranny built, it's replaced with an identical piece made of bronze i think.

FWIW, i live in southwest missouri, shipping was only like $100 each way IIRC. 2 trips, 3 hours both ways, = 12 hours driving time. i'll assumed you average 65mph, = ~780 miles total....figure the average car has a range of 340 miles on a tank of gas, that's 2 1/2 fill-ups. at $3.80/gallon, that's, well....you get the idea

get ahold of Joey or Jonathan at Tick, they were very helpful when i sent them my T56. i've delt with almost half the sponsors on this site, and their customer service was second to none.

Search this Thread