Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

drain trans fluid good idea?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Banging some gears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drain trans fluid good idea?

putting a new clutch in soon and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to drain the fluid that is in the trans now.... the car has 85k+ miles on it and has never been into as far as i know. was thinking i should drain it and refill it with the GM syncro-mesh fluid. anyone have any input.. if i do decide to do so, how many quarts does the stock T56 hold?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think according to the service manual, the T-56 fluid is a lifetime fluid. I don't buy that though...so draining the old and refilling it with new is a good idea IMO. Capacity is 4 quarts, and as long as the fluid is Dex III compatible, it should be fine. There is a lot of debate on synthetics vs. non, and there was a HUGE thread in this section about that very topic. If you do a quick search, I'm sure you'll come across it...you can't miss it.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since you have a 2001+ car, syncromesh is safe in that tranny. 4 quarts will do it. do yourself a favor and buy the penzoil brand from your parts store instead of from the stealership. it is approved for the GM spec number.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are doing the clutch soon, I would just drain the fluid then. You've gotta drain it to pull the trans anyway (it'll drip out of the tailshaft if you don't.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

taking out the transmission is a bit of a pain due to its awkward shape. Every bit of weight helps when removing that thing and lining it up to reinstall.

Wow lifetime huh? I've changed my fluid at least 4 times in the past 2 years. Just part of my maintenance schedule...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Banging some gears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wed is the day... i got a deal on some GM syncromesh (got a buddy that works in parts dept. at the dealership) so i went that route... thanks for the input guys can't wait to spray this hoss with a clutch that will hold!!

Search this Thread