Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Different Kind Of Drivetrain Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different Kind Of Drivetrain Clunk

Well ill start by describing my car and then the problem to help get right to the point.

i have an 02 camaro, m6 car is all stock except slp lca's slp panhard and an adj cross brace mounted umi t/a.

car has a gmmg cat back for exhaust and thats it.

okay on to the problem, recently my car has been giving off that notorious trans clunk or so i thought., not when you shift but when braking up to a stop light it will repeatedly clank the floorboard, or when coming to a stop and slowing down and then if you quickly hit the brakes like at 5mph it will clunk, or if you are slightly on the gas in 1st, you push in the clutch and release it without throttle it kind of sounds like a rocking back and forth clunk if that makes any sense, only for a second right after you release the clutch and then the car rides smooth.

so i bought the energy suspension trans mount, ive had good luck with them as long as i dont install the preload plate. anyhow i just got the mount in this time with the plate and my noise has not gone away, it almost sounds like when the t/a hits the floorboard on a hard downshift to second but its deff not that.

it sounds like its coming from right where the mount is but i just replaced it and the problem has not gone away. im completely pissed at this point, im thinking it might be the t/a or the front suspension but i am betting its something with the drivetrain, any body else been down this same road thanks for reading my novel lol, thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

nothing at all huh? talked with some guys at the local shop and they seem to think its the tailshaft bushing? i dont know
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

well i found the problem, a loose jam nut on the t/a and a loose nut on 1 of the lca's