Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Where to find specific LS T56 tranny info?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find specific LS T56 tranny info?

Heres the deal. Im tired of messing with my carbed gen 1 350 in my dime. Runs pretty decent, even though my little trucks still pretty heavy. I bought a tremec T56 6 speed for it probably 7 or so years ago. Bought it new, all the used ones I could find were $2k +, paid that much for this one.

Anyhow, I wanna jump to gen III motor. Gonna find a 6.0L for it, swap to EFI(much needed for cornering, and hard braking as my carb can't hanlde it now. truck is being set up to handle). Cam it, decent heads, prolly shell the money for fast, etc. Im certainly gonna keep it 6 speed.

Picking up a LS style 6 speed is cost I could spend on heads, and thats if it doesnt need rebuilt. I've wondered how much different my current 6 speed is. Its a little bit of a combo. It has a 03/04 cobra tailshaft housing on it(Im using an 03/04 cobra MGW shifter on it), manual speedo, the 26 spline chevy input shaft on it, and this adapter plate allowing me to use a 3rd gen camaro T5 bellhousing, or any regular straight up chevy bellhousing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...4506.m20.l1116

I ran across this, and it got my hopes up that I could keep my tranny, simply remove the adapter plate, and put LS1 style bellhousing on it and be gtg.

Old pic, when it was going in my blazer. T5 bellhousing, and you can see the plate between the tranny case and the bellhousing.

Just looking for help to figure if Im actually running a LS style input shaft int he tranny already. Or my options $$ wise or swapping it or just picking up a LS style tranny. Sorry for the book.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's possible. Measure the input shaft length from the adaptor plate to the end.

Did you order the trans as a retrofit-T56 from Tremec? They would have about a 1/2" longer input shaft, and the gearset would be from a '93 M29 T56. If you have the same MM6 gear ratios (and have to use an extended pilot bushing), its a good chance you have an LS1.

The Mustang tail housing would probably have to stay, or you may have to tear it apart and replace the shift linkage to adapt a LS1 tailhousing.

(on second look/thought, the "mustang" tailhousing and mechanical speedo is probably just the retrofit-T56 tailhousing. So I'm 95% sure you wont' be able to directly fit that to a GenIII)
mike

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 09-24-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Yes, its a "retro fit" tremec. Found it online, and ordered from Sallee chevy.

It does have the gear set of the 93, all having deeper gear ratios. If I do get to keep it with minimal mods, I'll probably step down in rear gear some. Im running a set of 3.90's, and only a 25.5" tall tire. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty short. With the extra power(little more cubes, more compression,a nd better fuel management) I dont think I had have any problems street driving it even with a little larger cam than I have now in my 350. Some 3.73's or even 3.55's might be better for my application.

I dont forsee the tailshaft being any problem. It still uses the small chevy output shaft.(like the t5's,TH350's, 4L60e's, etc) Just have to have any tranny signal tuned out of the ecm since the tranny's all mechanical.

edit:its the 1993 Camaro Z28/Firebird with G92 axle gear ratios inthe tranny(according to wiki)

Last edited by ZZ4Blazer; 09-23-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

IMHO, I'd try to sell that retro to another classic/muscle car enthusiast, that wants to keep their bellhousing/clutch-linkage/mech-speedo, and use the funds to get a regular LS1 T56.. (There's still a thriving market for the retros in older cars, especially now with gas prices the way they are..)

The retro is rated at 400lb-ft (the LS1s are 450+) and has the steep gears as you know. I'd just get an engine/trans pull that you know will work..

my $0.02

mike
Old 09-24-2008, 04:40 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The retro- T56 has the same length input as the LS-used T56. It's a different input shaft because of the 4th gear teeth, but the length, spline, pilot and other characteristics of it are the same.

Pull your current bellhousing and adapter plate off, and bolt it up to an LS bellhousing. Done.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Where to find specific LS T56 tranny info?-dcp_-20017.jpg

From left to Right: LT1, LS1, Retro, CTS-V

(The CTS-V appears shorter, but it's double-cone synchro base just lowers it's profile)

mike
Old 09-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
The retro- T56 has the same length input as the LS-used T56. It's a different input shaft because of the 4th gear teeth, but the length, spline, pilot and other characteristics of it are the same.

Pull your current bellhousing and adapter plate off, and bolt it up to an LS bellhousing. Done.
If it was that simple, I could probably do up a gen III swap this spring!!! I'll keep my hopes up. I decided this winter to get my 68 c10 running, so most of my money's going towards that till its driveable. I wont know for sure till I park my truck for the winter and pull the motor/tranny.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Where to find specific LS T56 tranny info?-dcp_-20020.jpg

The retro front plate also is not machined for the hydraulic lines, and the slave bolt holes are clocked differently (8 and 2 o'clock) instead of the normal LS1 (11 and 5 o'clock)

It's definitely not a plug and play..

mike

Quick Reply: Where to find specific LS T56 tranny info?