Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch and hydraulics replaced, still won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and hydraulics replaced, still won't disengage

Decided to go ahead and start a new thread. Just to sum things up:
bought a 99' trans am with a rebuilt tranny, new slave cylinder, new clutch/pp/flywheel that were instaled in July of 07'. Roughly 5k miles on the setup.

Bought the car and the car won't go in gear when it's running, if you start it with it in gear and the clutch pushed down, it takes off and starts driving like you started it and let out on the clutch but the clutch is on the floor.

Replaced the master cylinder with a master cylinder that works fine from my 2001 trans am, bled the clutch from the slave bleeder. Same problem.

Replaced the slave cylinder, bled it from the slave and then used a mityvac to bleed out what was left from the reservoir. Same problem.

Replaced the master cylinder with a NEW master, bench bled it with the fitting from the old slave cylinder and a mity vac using Buschman's tutorial. Installed it, then bled from the slave cylinder just in case. Same problem.

Took it to a shop and they said the clutch pressure plate wasn't working properly and I gave them the ls7 clutch, pressure plate, and ls2 flywheel that I pulled out of my car 3 months ago to put a RAM powergrip HD clutch in, clutch worked GREAT when I pulled it out. They called me today and they said it was doing the exact same thing.

So to recap, new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, and master cylinder. Car won't go in gear when car is running. Start the car in gear and clutch depressed and it takes off down the road. HELP! I am confused, the shop seems to think it's the tranny but I just don't see how the problem I am having has anything to do with the transmission. How would the tranny being bad make the clutch be constantly engaged?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My SPEC stage 2 did the same thing. It came with a spacer that goes behind the slave cylinder. I had to take the tranny back out and install it and fixed the problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Ok, I got a slave shim from a friend and had it installed. The car still takes off driving if you start it in gear, you can step on the brakes and it will still stay running WITH IT IN GEAR AND THE CLUTCH PEDAL PRESSED IN, if you pull your foot off the brakes and leave the clutch pedal pushed in, it takes off driving.

The shop thinks it's something wrong with the transmission and I just don't see how that could be it.

Another thing, the ls7 clutch I put in it, was covered up and in my garage for about 9-10 months, the pedal is WAY stiffer than a stock clutch, hell it's even stiffer then my RAM Powergrip HD. I don't know what to think of this... did the pressure plate somehow go bad??? Or do I need an adjustable master cylinder, I am so confused...

Am I not thinking about how the tranny works correctly? Is there a possibility it could be the transmission? HELP ME PLEASE!!! I am forking over $300 everytime the shop is pulling down the transmission, which so far is twice.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only way it could be your transmission would be if the input shaft had seized to your pilot bearing (happened to a buddy one time), but even in that case the car wouldn't keep going with the clutch and breaks pressed.

In your situation its that the clutch simply is not releasing. From the way it moves on its own with the clutch in it sounds like its pretty far from a full release.

I've been fighting to get my clutch to release all the way but its just barely dragging. I have to rev it to 6K to get the car to inch forward.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ceck the spring that pulls the pedal back (under the dash board) i had the same problem be4.........

a little WD40 will do great............
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hydraulics are NOT disengaging the clutch. Just because you put a spacer doesn't necessarily mean that it is the correct distance to disengage the clutch.

Also I would suspect air in the system. The hydraulics on these cars are very finicky things. After 1 almost 2 years my clutch feel is starting to feel light as a feather with the LS7, while my friend has had his feeling like a feather since day 1.

Quick Reply: Clutch and hydraulics replaced, still won't disengage