Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Replacing imput shaft seal by removing front cover?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacing imput shaft seal by removing front cover?

I know this can get tricky Ive read that you need to set the trans upward. my t56 has been rebuilt and the seal has been leaking since day one, when It never leaked before the rebuild, I assume its installer error on the seal or the wrong one. Id rather not pay 300 for the trans to be torn completely down for one seal and I heard I can slip the front case off carefully and accomplish this?

Can anyone give me some pointers? Im pretty mechanically competant. I read that it needs to be set on the tail shaft, Would this be refering to actually making the shaft touch the ground I would assume pushing the end play Upward in an attempt to reinstall it easier?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It can be done with the trans tilted way up in the front. The real catch is to not let the input and cluster bearing races and the shim packs fall out of their pockets and into the trans. It is easy to drag the seal over the inout spline when re-installing the front adapter( as in a rebuild). Be sure to clean both sealing surfaces ( case & adapter) before new RTV is applied.You don't want a new leak path after you go through this repair. Be most carefull NOT to allow debris to fall in the trans.When re-assembling use a grease to hold the races and shim packs in place when you invert & install the front adapter plate. As above, be careful not to drag the input seal on the spline. You can align the top and 5/6/Rev rails with a screw driver( push). Not too difficult to do on a T56.

Search this Thread