Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

replaced slave+master. bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced slave+master. bleeding question

I searched here and found a lot of threads about bleeding the clutch but they all seemed to be with the trans bolted up. I just replaced my slave and master cylinder and now i want to make sure i have the system bled before i bolt the trans back up. I have been bleeding it for a while, I still dont have a lot of clutch on the pedal, but it doesn't stay depressed it kicks back into place when i let off it. Does the clutch have to be stiff? or will it be stiffer when i bolt the trans back up? how do i know when i have it bled correctly?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bleeding steps.

1. Flush dot 3 fluid through your master cylinder while disconnected until it runs clean.

2. Crack bleeder valve on slave (usually a 1/4" drive with exenstions and swivels and 11mm socket can fit the bleeder). This can be done in several ways. If you want to make it a one man job then you'll have to cut a hole inside your car down on the hump to access the bleeder valve.

3. Fill master with dot 3 while leaving slave bleeder cracked.

4. Plug master cylinder into slave and let it bleed out a bit (30 seconds is usually good), while it bleeds keep the master cylinder topped off with dot 3. You DON'T want it to run dry. Air is bad.

5. Close bleeder valve.

6. Push clutch to floor and pump 20-30 times and then hold it down.

7. Open bleeder valve while clutch is still held to floor.

8. Fluid should squirt out (don't get it in your eyes), leave it cracked for about 10 seconds while keeping the master topped off with fluid and clutch held to the floor.

9. Close bleeder valve.

10. Repeat steps 6-9 until you get pressure back in your clutch.

You should know when you get clutch pressure because it will have more resistance in the pedal. If you've ever actually driven your car you will know what the clutch pedal should and shouldn't feel like. It can take upwards of 30 - 60 minutes to bleed the system correctly. It is really a 2 man job if you cut the hole in your hump. You can work the pedal and bleeder from inside the car while your friend keeps the master topped off. It goes much faster. Getting in and out and in and out to check the master gets really redundant. If you don't want to cut the hole in your hump then you will need at least 2-3 people to accomplish the job. Hope that helps you some.