Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinois Emissions/Waiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Illinois Emissions/Waiver

Any of you guys out there running boosted (or unboosted for that mater) cars with speed density tunes have any better ways of passing the emissions test?

Right now I have to install a maf, put in a NA tune, run over to the emissions place, pass their test, pull the maf and put the SD tune back in.

Reason is the computer reports MAF not ready to put the car in speed density mode, although the code doesn't light the dash light its still active in the computer.

Anyone use the racecar/show car waiver option? Not 100% clear on the rules with that.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

My car had a check engine light that wouldn't go away. I went to the currency exchange and got my plates. Walked in, said I'd like to get renew my plates, she said no problem. My plates have been bad since May of 09. Didn't ask for any kinda paper work just gave me my new plate. Try that first before you go and do all that ****.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
wrencher

If you have a race car/show car/collectors insurance your pretty much there.
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/exempt.html
Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

We used to use the race car exemption status all the time for the '95 and older cars until they stopped testing them. It's pretty easy to get, we'd send pics with an N2O bottle in the car, and some drag tires mounted. No big deal at all.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the waiver this year.

Sign up for show car insurance then send some pictures and a filled out form to the EPA.

You're good to go from there.

~Jim~
Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonochromeSS
Any of you guys out there running boosted (or unboosted for that mater) cars with speed density tunes have any better ways of passing the emissions test?

Right now I have to install a maf, put in a NA tune, run over to the emissions place, pass their test, pull the maf and put the SD tune back in.

Reason is the computer reports MAF not ready to put the car in speed density mode, although the code doesn't light the dash light its still active in the computer.

Anyone use the racecar/show car waiver option? Not 100% clear on the rules with that.
Why can't you simply get the MAF code taken care of so it will pass? Just like any other code you can set it to not report the code.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

So are there any restrictions with the show car thing? I know it says some BS in the waiver like can only be driven to and from events and whatever. Do you guys just basically ignore that or does anyone even care? Is there a mileage limit?

The reason I can't get the code removed is that's how it internally tricks the computer into speed density. Or at least that's how i understand it.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

There is a limit to how much you can drive and you are suppose to only drive it to and from shows. It also says occasional 'pleasure' drives are fine and on any givin friday or saturday there's some car show going on somewhere. The best part is the price, I just lowered my annual mileage to 1,000 a year and only pay $263 a year with an agreed value worth $22,000 and I also have the 9 to 5 program which means I can drive my car to work up to 2 days a week. The only reason I took that is because I do bring my car to work 1 or 2 times a year and I drive threw Robbins.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM
FormerVendor

I have SD tune from Jim Moran at Speed inc. no prob with emissions, and he got 408ci I have to idle like a civic.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Spizmo
There is a limit to how much you can drive and you are suppose to only drive it to and from shows. It also says occasional 'pleasure' drives are fine and on any givin friday or saturday there's some car show going on somewhere. The best part is the price, I just lowered my annual mileage to 1,000 a year and only pay $263 a year with an agreed value worth $22,000 and I also have the 9 to 5 program which means I can drive my car to work up to 2 days a week. The only reason I took that is because I do bring my car to work 1 or 2 times a year and I drive threw Robbins.
The limits and restrictions are not the same for every insurance company when it comes to a "show car" policy.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

I've been told they don't like you driving more then 3000 miles. However, they never came and verified my odometer readings or anything like that.

The problem that I had with show car insurance is the written value of my car. They only gave me $15,000. I have that in the driveline.

I don't have an option though. I could never pass emissions with my engine.

~Jim~
Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The limits and restrictions are not the same for every insurance company when it comes to a "show car" policy.
True, forgot to mention I go threw Rally Insurance group but I hear most go with Hagerty.

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
I've been told they don't like you driving more then 3000 miles. However, they never came and verified my odometer readings or anything like that.

The problem that I had with show car insurance is the written value of my car. They only gave me $15,000. I have that in the driveline.

I don't have an option though. I could never pass emissions with my engine.

~Jim~
I believe there was 1 more option at my insurance for 5000 or 7000. I never had to verify my miles either, maybe you should try to get your car appraised then show the papers to the insurance. I was told I only have an agreed value do to the fact that my car hasn't been appraised yet.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 AM
wrencher

You can get these cars to pass yes easily with a tune.
But what you dont know is the IEPA & EPA are well aware of it.
They dont just download the codes & readiness test for emissions.
They pull that, the VIN, the calibration ID(CAL ID) & Calibration verification number (CVN).
This will thell them if it's tuned. Same thing any tech who knows what the hell their doing can determine.
BTW the lane guy testing the car dont know it, it's the IEPA people who look at this stuff & compile it.
When they see it as a problem they will start doing something about it.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wrencher
You can get these cars to pass yes easily with a tune.
But what you dont know is the IEPA & EPA are well aware of it.
They dont just download the codes & readiness test for emissions.
They pull that, the VIN, the calibration ID(CAL ID) & Calibration verification number (CVN).
This will thell them if it's tuned. Same thing any tech who knows what the hell their doing can determine.
BTW the lane guy testing the car dont know it, it's the IEPA people who look at this stuff & compile it.
When they see it as a problem they will start doing something about it.
Not sure if the IL EPA is actually studying this data, but I'm sure it'd have to become more wide spread before they'd consider spending money to try and stop it.

When the '95 and eariler cars reached less then 30% of registered vehicles in IL, they stopped testing them altogether based on the expense of maintaining the equpitment vs the benefit of doing so. My guess is, probably less than 1% of cars pulling through the IL OBDII scan test have custom tuning. That percentage would probably have to increase exponentially before they'd address it.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not sure if the IL EPA is actually studying this data, but I'm sure it'd have to become more wide spread before they'd consider spending money to try and stop it.

When the '95 and eariler cars reached less then 30% of registered vehicles in IL, they stopped testing them altogether based on the expense of maintaining the equpitment vs the benefit of doing so. My guess is, probably less than 1% of cars pulling through the IL OBDII scan test have custom tuning. That percentage would probably have to increase exponentially before they'd address it.
I think their could be some truth to what wrencher said after my last emissions test. They seemed to be very focused on my VIN, mileage, and other aspects; more then prior years. However by the time anything would catch on 4th Gens will surely be exempt.

It could have also been related to the Roush Mustang in front of me since he was surprised we had the same mileage at 29,000.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
I think their could be some truth to what wrencher said after my last emissions test. They seemed to be very focused on my VIN, mileage, and other aspects; more then prior years. However by the time anything would catch on 4th Gens will surely be exempt.

It could have also been related to the Roush Mustang in front of me since he was surprised we had the same mileage at 29,000.
I've been going to the same test station since the mid-'90s. I just took the scan test with both my LS1 cars last month. My '98 has some minor tuning changes, the '02 has a 100% stock PCM. They didn't seem to act any different with either car, nor did they treat them any different than my '04 Cavalier that was also tested last month. Overall, the experiance was the same as it has been since 2004 when I took my first OBD scan test, and I've taken several custom tuned cars through the scan.

If they are in fact gathering data on non-stock tunes (and they very well might be, I don't have proof either way), it hasn't been noticeable to me during the test.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
However by the time anything would catch on 4th Gens will surely be exempt.
PS. I'm not sure if '96+ cars will ever be totally exempt like the '95 and older cars are. The old cars required a totally different type of test, and keeping that equpitment around for such a small number of cars still left wasn't worth it. However, my guess is whenever we get "OBDIII", the new testing equpitment will be backwards compatible with the older OBDII cars. And even if that's not the case, we're still on OBDII and probably will be for a while, so it'll be a long time before that would become obsolete.

On the bright side, once the car is 25 years old you can just get AV plates and not ever have to take the test again. No need to even deal with show car/race car exemption. Plus AV plates are only $30 every 5 years.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Can any tuners out there confirm the SD tune can pass emissions? Is that a newer version of the HP Tuners OS that allows it?

They might be collecting data as far as we know but we're still such a tiny segment of all the cars on the road.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 PM
wrencher

Like I said the people at the test station dont really know dick.
They only have to download the info & confirm the vehicle to registration. Thats it.

The IEPA compiles all the testing info. Then I know it all ends up @ the EPA.
From all tested area's.
Fed's pay additional highway funds to all states for emission testing programs. Yep it's $$$
I know people in IEPA office, they're pretty clear about it.
Fed EPA will go after something once they see it's a problem.
Remember the O2 simm company they went after local?

I wont rule out them failing cars for improper Cal ID's or CVN's.
All that info is becoming much easier for them to access from the OEM for the #'s
Just another requirement they can easily add.
Also , ever wonder how the dealers can void a warranty for modified programming? Thats how they know as well.

I dont see any testing for On Board Diagnotic-II equipt cars going away anytime soon.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wrencher
I wont rule out them failing cars for improper Cal ID's or CVN's.
All that info is becoming much easier for them to access from the OEM for the #'s
Not sure how far back they want to store/cross-referance numbers though. This may be something they look into for newer cars after a certain point. Gathering all the "passable" numbers from the OEMs going back to 1996 seems like a project.

I have 6 more tests for my '98 car, then it gets AV plates and I'm done with testing. If they cause me a hassle in the mean time, I'll just go with showcar exemption since I already have a collector/show car insurance policy on the car.

Quick Reply: Illinois Emissions/Waiver