Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Any Ohio guys have COLLECTOR plates on an fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Ohio guys have COLLECTOR plates on an fbody?

UPDATE 3/10/11

So I finally got my plates in today. It takes a while communicating through mail.

So to make a long story short, I filled out all the required paperwork and sent it in. My car was not on the list of collectible vehicles so they denied me. The paper they sent me said I must provide picture documentation on the car and at least $5k in receipts. So I mailed them a packet of: 1.) 8 Total pictures of the car. One under hood shot/One flywheel shot from when I did the clutch cause it looked cool/Various outside shots of the car in my driveway. 2.) A letter stating how I got the car and what I have done to it 3.) Copies of ALL my receipts. I even sent them my paypal history and highlighted and explained everything I could remember. That's it. They sent me a paper about a week later for payment. I sent them a check and they sent me the plates. I'm glad next year I can just get my tags locally and not deal with Columbus again.

Just wondering if I'm going to waste my time when applying for mine next year. I know I need like $5k in reciepts and proof it's not a DD. Just curious if I even have a shot with a 95 camaro. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by SSmoked1; 03-10-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSmoked1
Just wondering if I'm going to waste my time when applying for mine next year. I know I need like $5k in reciepts and proof it's not a DD. Just curious if I even have a shot with a 95 camaro. Thanks for any insight.
One guy around here did it to his 2000 Maple Red T/A. The other Maple Red T/A in the Sylvania area.

So yes, it's possible.

Note they were collector and not 'classic car' plates. I couldn't register mine because mine is a DD. Sucked.. one of 504 and so what if I drive it? It's a car, not a statue.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on a 2004 GTO ... so you should be fine.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

i got them on my 2001 Camaro SS and 2002 Corvette Z06
Old 08-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Great to hear! Appreciate the info guys!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

BRAKE (on here) has them on his TA.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default collector plates

so what do you have to prove to the BMV? I don't have a dd, i have a company truck and my car sits in the garage.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Teching In

You have to have a second car registered in your name only to qualify for the collector plates.

A company vehicle only counts if you can get a letter from your employer stating that you have use of the vehicle for personal and business purposes.

as for the 5k in receipts, someone fed you a line of baloney on that.

collector plates state that you only use the car for events, so be carefull if you think you may get a speeding ticket.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated above, no need for receipts. Just need to prove that you have a main vehicle. And that the sate recognizes your car type as a collector car.

When I was getting my collector plates, I called the Ohio DMV and asked if my car qualified, They asked me the year, then If I had t-tops, and a leather interior (last 2 seemed odd to ask) They looked my car up on their computer.

If my car was not on the list, and I still wanted collector plates, you would then have to research and send in proof that there is a certain amount of people that collect you vehicle (newspaper, websites, etc.) And that they would then review it and consider you for collector plates. This info if found I think on one of the submission forms.

Luckily there is a car show every day of the week around cleveland, so you have an excuse when you get pulled over.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your car is not in any of there books you can show them 5,000.00 in receipts for work done on your car and you can get them that way.
Still need another car in your name.
Just Call Columbus and they'll walk you right through it.
You can pick up the paperwork at your local dmv it will have the number and everything you need. http://bmv.ohio.gov/sp_collector.stm
Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

They wouldn't let me get them for my '98 Z28 w/o $5k in receipts. I have another car titled / registered in my name...still no luck.

Used to be much easier to get them. Those that got them on vehicles non listed in the NADA Collectible Vehicle guide may have gotten them earlier, before they tightened up the rules?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zzzzz
They wouldn't let me get them for my '98 Z28 w/o $5k in receipts. I have another car titled / registered in my name...still no luck.

Used to be much easier to get them. Those that got them on vehicles non listed in the NADA Collectible Vehicle guide may have gotten them earlier, before they tightened up the rules?
It must have changed since I got my plates. I got them 4-5 years ago and I never read anything about showing reciepts. Neither on the documents that you send in, or their website. Well, I learned something new today

I wonder if they still offer the ability to get them if you can show proof that there is collectibility w/ a certain car that they don't have listed. That was offered 4-5 years ago because I thought that I was going to have to go that route.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Teching In

hmmm i have a 2000 maple red metalllic trans am..
collector plates ftw
Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Teching In

they said i cannot get collector plated for my vehicle?
its not a limited production vehicle wtf??
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Did you actually call down to the Columbus BMV? I had a problem when I tried to get them for my 98 T/A. This was back I'd say around 2001 or 02. They said it wasn't in their "book". Tried a year later after Pontiac stopped making FBodys. It was in the book and I had no problem. No receipts or anything. I think you still have to apply for them through Columbus, but now Ohio lets you renew only at your local license bureau with proof of a valid daily driver.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TAvsGN
Did you actually call down to the Columbus BMV? I had a problem when I tried to get them for my 98 T/A. This was back I'd say around 2001 or 02. They said it wasn't in their "book". Tried a year later after Pontiac stopped making FBodys. It was in the book and I had no problem. No receipts or anything. I think you still have to apply for them through Columbus, but now Ohio lets you renew only at your local license bureau with proof of a valid daily driver.
yes we called columbus..
how did you go about telling them?
and i keep hearing that my trans am is rare?
im not understanding that fully with it having all ws6 options exept the hood.
and being maple red, leather and t-tops 6speed?
any help would greatly be appreciated here, thanks guys
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

I have one. Got a letter from Pontiac stating my Formula was 1 of 124 in BGC, and the BMV made a copy for their records and issued me plates.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

So I guess I'm missing the point, are the collector plates cheaper or something?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
So I guess I'm missing the point, are the collector plates cheaper or something?

No ... but up north we still have e-check and a collector plate makes you exempt.

There are three ways to get it:

1) Show that the car is limited edition
or
2) Show that the car is collectible
or
3) Show that you have a sizable investment in the car... and back it up with a lot of pictures and receipts.

I showed all 3.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have collector plates on my car. You simply call in and see if it's listed in their book of car NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION. This would work with Birds but obviously not Camaros as they are in production now. You HAVE to have another vehicle title in YOUR name also to get them. Pretty much everything has been covered in the thread. As for being "used for events only", it's pretty much I got them in case we ever go E-check, which I doubt we will.

Quick Reply: Any Ohio guys have COLLECTOR plates on an fbody?