Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinois emission testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Illinois emission testing

Hello all. I may be relocating from Kentucky to the Chicago area in the coming months. Currently there are no emissions testing requirements in KY. What are the laws like in IL? How likely is my car to pass (mods listed below)? I'm thinking I would have issues.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have to do any emissions testing where I live. I've heard that some of the bigger, more populated, counties in IL do. But, don't know if it's true or not.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

If you are around chicago you will have to test. All they do is plug in, no visual. They check if service engine light actually works and if there are any present codes. Just get your computer/tune set-up and you will be in and out in 5 minutes. Test every two years.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:46 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're coming to Chicgoland you will most definitely have to do emissions testing. The nice thing is it's an OBDII scan. In other words, if your car is a 1996 or newer model year all you do is pull up, and they hook up a scanner to the car. As long as all emissions sensors are reading and responding (including rear O2's) and you don't have any lights on in the dash you pass. Unfortunately that means even if you have an ABS light on, they will fail you. Since you've deleted the cats with the ORY, the best ting I've seen is to have O2 sims in place and leave the rear O2's in the programing for the PCM. If you know how to make it so that a functinality test will show that they are there and functioning properly then you will be fine as well. They don't really do a visual inspection last I was there, but they might. Aside from that the Emissions test is very easy to pass....

Let us know when you're in the neighborhood.....
Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, this is good info. So there is no sniffer test?

I have no oxygen sensors working, I am running open loop, speed density. The fronts are in place but turned off. Sims for the rears would be an easy thing to do. I do my own tuning so as long as I know what they are looking for I think I can work around it. Would not having a MAF be an issue?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

No sniffer test. Dont need sims, just tune out. Unsure on no MAF. Only other thing is readiness status, if battery disconnected or codes recently cleared you have to drive it for awhile before it is testable. You wont fail they just say drive it more and come back, no way of knowing if it is ready to my knowledge.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole sims thing is a crap shoot. Last I knew they checked the status of the rear O2's, so if they're just turned off, then it's no good....they have to be giving feedback. As for no MAF, it won't matter. You can run an SD tune without an issue as the MAF isn't emissions related. I do know that you can pass with a deleted EGR and AIR system as long as you don't have any codes.

FWIW I've tried getting a 2000 through that had the rears deleted through the tune and it failed, so we had to turn them back on and put sims in.....
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No EGR, No AIR, No Cats at the time I had a VRX5 cam TFS heads and long tubes. I passed with no problem in the chicago area.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

There is some bad info in this thread.

None of the emissions sensors have to be giving "feedback" to the E-test computer in order to pass. The test center is not checking your PCM for actual data values, what they are looking for are any stored or active Type A or B DTCs (codes), and ready/not ready status of the vehicle's emissions systems.

All of this can be handled with proper tuning. I've passed the IL state OBD scan test with no cats, and no O2 sims. The process will be the same for any emissions device you remove, and any DTCs associated with that device. You must allow the DTC to run (otherwise the test will show "not ready", and you will be rejected for the e-test), but turn the SES light off. It's been a while since I've tuned anything, but the process I used in LS1 Edit was to set the DTC test to "on" and the MIL to "Type X" for any equpiment I wanted to delete.

Currently, IL has no visual testing, and no sniff testing. If your car is a '95 or older, there is no testing at all in any county. For '96+, it's OBD scan-only, and this testing is done in about a dozen counties (all surronding Chicago and the IL side of St. Louis).

Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Launching!

To put it simply, just make sure check engine light is not on and you will be good to go.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it sounds simple enough.

I have no issues with the SES light, and I have the ability to check for codes myself before taking it for an inspection.

I am not yet certain weather or not I will be moving to the area. I am in discussions with my employer regarding a possible promotion and relocation. I will know in a few weeks, just doing some homework in the meantime.

Thanks for the advice and info.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_LS1
To put it simply, just make sure check engine light is not on and you will be good to go.
This is not entirely true. If you turn off the light (MIL/SES), AND turn off the diagnostic test for that light, then that emissions system will show a "not ready/incomplete" status. This could certainly be a problem, and this would also explain why some people have had issues passing with custom tuning.

If I remember correctly, you are allowed 2 "not readies" for '96-'00, and 1 "not ready" for '01+. But, if you tune the PCM properly, you can have all the supported systems showing "ready/complete" and still keep the MIL shut off.

Quick Reply: Illinois emission testing