Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Northern Illinois engine builder

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys at Legend Racing in Schaumburg always have time to talk to new customers, and make sure that your car will work the best with it's new horsepower.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wjfan1
Signature
01 Ws6,m6, ASC#618 of 1583,AES built forged 416,ArP'd,Morels,LPE Ls3 heads 12-1 comp,FAST 102 by chris1313,N/W 102 Tb,Racetronix F/P,65lb inj,C5r T/C, LsR 243/259 .624 114+3,P/B 10% Ud,Kooks 2" headers,Kooks yp,Dmh dual c/o's,COMPLETE UMI suspension,SLP Torque arm,viperized T56 by wrencher,Textrellia,Moser 9" spooled w/4.11's & 35 spline axles, Koni 4th Gen's,BMR springs,Sjm abs delete,magna flow CB, 542hp/525tq StraightLine Tuned!

That pretty much sums you up...AES motor you have.
Haven't been on here much, do to working my azz off so I can get outta debt and having PER build it right, oh and I don't burn oil anymore and my crank is not gonna be tempted to walk anymore. I have fixed my sig. Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AES has been busy! Give them a call 847-956-1244 to schedule your needs and wants for your next motor!
Your bumping an old thread with a post count of "1". Do you work for AES?

If so can you identify yourself?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've know a few people there for quite awhile. There are just some great people over at AES and that do great work and it seems like your bashing all of them. When Frasier was there I've read good things. Well the weeds might have cleared again. Maybe you should give them a call and see how responsive they are. And yes there are other engine builders in the area and they do great work too. Everyone has choices. But slamming someone/business on public forums make you feel better? I treat people the way I would like to be treated. Just my 2 cents. Can't everyone just get along? Have a great day!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Everyone has choices. But slamming someone/business on public forums make you feel better? I treat people the way I would like to be treated.
Then why doesn't AES do the same? Respect is earned, not given.

Again, are you employed by AES?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...your-help.html
Old 08-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Teching In

I didn't see AES bashing anyone's business on here. Tony is a stand up guy who is knowledgable and has years of experience. He doesn't have time to play keyboard racing. If you got a beef with the "other" two, take it up with them. And to answer your other question "no".
Old 08-21-2015, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I didn't see AES bashing anyone's business on here. Tony is a stand up guy who is knowledgable and has years of experience. He doesn't have time to play keyboard racing. If you got a beef with the "other" two, take it up with them. And to answer your other question "no".
They may not bash other businesses....but they sure beat the **** out of their customers and tell them blatant lies.

You may well be right that Tony is very knowledgeable with years of experience, and he may not have time to play with his keyboard.
But if he cared about his business and customers, he should find the time to at least try and keep them satisfied.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Teching In

I'm really sorry that the customers got treated that way by them, but if you talk to Tony I know you'll get the job done and you'll be satisfied. Unfortunately every business doesn't run 100% because their employees lack customer service training or respect for others. Again, really sorry to hear some of these stories but AES (Tony) really does build a great engine.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Teching In

I didn't see AES bashing anyone's business on here.
Considering AES is basically non existent on here, last post was 6/2014, I don't think they had the opportunity.

If you got a beef with the "other" two, take it up with them. And to answer your other question "no".
Who is the president/owner of AES, Tony?

If so, that's his problem, the president is responsible for how the business is run.

Maybe its time for that person to take ownership, and do their job?

Unfortunately every business doesn't run 100% because their employees lack customer service training or respect for others.
Again, this is a business culture issue. Culture is run by head of the company on down, business 101. If their employees lack training, whos fault is that? Nobody's accepting fault, all you're doing is blaming people who don't work for AES anymore.

Now read this and tell me what you think, Tony can be the greatest machinest in the world but is this good business?

Link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...ience-aes.html

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I first got in touch with AES on February 20th about putting one of their 390ci LS engines in my 2004 Silverado. I took a job cross country, so I wanted a strong replacement for my trusty LQ4 (which never broke at over 1100whp, btw). I had almost 6 weeks before I had to leave, and engines from the companies I had been calling were about 2 weeks out for build time, which is very respectable. After trying to reach AES all week, I finally talked to them on a Thursday. Turns out they already had a 390 built and ready to go, so I bought it along with a few other parts. I needed an oil pump, lifters, trays, a timing set, and a cam extension harness for the engine since it was a gen 4 block. About an hour later I was going over the list of things I needed in my head, and figured I'd call them back to make sure they knew it needed a 24x reluctor wheel. I told them it was for a 2004 Silverado, and it even needed the cam extension harness because the truck is a gen 3...should be pretty obvious, right? But hey, sometimes people make mistakes...I'd better double check. Turns out the guy I talked to tells me its a 58x reluctor engine. I figured no big deal, swapping a reluctor wheel shouldn't take very long for this company. Couple days max, and it should be on the road, right? Wrong...that's when things begin to go downhill.

So about 2 weeks later all I am doing is struggling to get them on the phone. I'm a little worried at this point because 2 weeks seems extreme. Not only that, but I haven't heard a word from them in as long as I've been waiting. I left a brief review on their Facebook page to try to coax a response out of them, but the response I got made it seem like they thought I was joking. I started calling 2-3 times a day and finally got ahold of someone on the phone. I'm told that they have had trouble finding a reluctor wheel and that they should have one in a day or two. I'm just relieved to hear back from someone, so I take the guy's word on it and keep waiting. Another week goes by. I call back and miraculously get someone on the phone on my first try, and he tells me they finally have the 24x reluctor wheel. The engine is torn apart awaiting the wheel install. The engine should ship on Friday, March 14th and that I will have tracking information immediately so I'll know when to expect it. I'm a bit relieved at this point, as I'll have enough time to R&R the engines and tune the new setup with about a week to spare just in case the engine has issues.

The engine doesn't ship on Friday, but instead on Monday, but I figure that's normal since these guys keep stumbling over their promises anyway. Finally...the engine is on its way on March 17th. Fedex drops off the engine on Thursday the 20th, and kudos to them for getting it from Illinois to Arizona in just 4 days...a shipping delay would have had me pulling my hair out. I've got 8 days until I have to move cross country at this point.

I'm unwrapping the engine, and I notice I didn't get any extra boxes. Where is my oil pump, lifters, etc? I'm not terribly worried, as I can call them and have them overnighted and still be able to install the engine without delay. Looking over the engine, I notice immediately the tiny teeth on the reluctor wheel. It's a 58x. WHAT THE ****. All this time waiting and calling to fix the reluctor wheel, and these clowns ship it with the wrong one? At a point where I don't think things could get any worse, I decide to measure the bore on the cylinders. Turns out the engine isn't even a 390. My parts list billed me for 4.030" pistons, and the engine has 4.005" pistons making it a 385. To be truthful, that doesn't really matter to me. In fact, its probably better to have the thicker cylinder walls. But what engine builder ***** up displacement, honestly?! I call them and leave a scathing voicemail at 7pm my time, and about half an hour later, 9:30 their time I get a call back. Guy says he can have the missing parts overnighted tomorrow. He tells me the engine originally had a 24x reluctor wheel and they ended up swapping it to 58x. How in the **** do you make that mistake? Its a vehicle with a gen 3 engine/computer, needs the cam extension harness since its the older cam sensor location on gen 3 engines, and I called back to ensure the reluctor wheel was correct. The only thing he suggests is sending it back to get the wheel swapped for the correct one. At this point I'm laughing on the phone. That's not going to happen. If it took you 3 weeks just for a simple reluctor wheel swap, I won't be seeing this engine for a couple more months. So, with the promise of my missing parts being overnighted tomorrow, the conversation ends.

So I've only got one option...tear this engine apart myself and bring the crank down to the local machine shop and have it swapped to a 24x. By 10pm I've got the crank loaded up in the back seat of my car ready to jet down to the machine shop in the morning. I'm at their door at 8am and they say they can have it swapped today. So I drive 45 minutes home, and the second I walk in the door they call me saying its finished. By 5pm, I've got the entire engine back together. It took myself and Larrys Engine and Marine in Tucson, AZ (badass work quality and customer service btw, for anyone in Arizona) 22 hours to do what it took AES ******* 3 weeks to do. I'm just appalled it took them 3 weeks to do what myself and a local shop did in less than a day.

I sit around all weekend doing jack **** because I still don't have my other parts. Monday, March 24th rolls around and the lifters, trays, and oil pump arrive. Yet again I'm in a panic because the timing set didn't show up. I called back again and they tell me it had to drop ship from their supplier and they don't know when it would arrive. So I decide, **** that...and went and purchased a timing set from OReilly's on Monday night. Got the heads bolted on, engine fully assembled, installed....and it finally runs around midnight on Tuesday. Friday morning, I'm beginning my 1700 mile journey. That evening I get a call from back home telling me a box arrived for me. Oh hey, the timing set is here. Thanks a lot.

I had them just return to sender. The timing set is useless to me now. I've called AES a few times since that package was returned 2.5 months ago, and as of last week, they have no idea where it is. They did tell me that if they do find the timing set, I'd be responsible for a 40% restocking fee and shipping both ways. Are you ******* kidding me?

As of today, the engine has yet to give me any issues. It seems to be a quality piece. I've hit it with about 20psi so far and it will be receiving more once I get the new turbo from Jose. About the only thing AES has been able to provide was an engine that wasn't mechanically broken from the get-go. Yay.

tl;dr ... If you want a quality engine, AES seems to be the place to go. But...that's about as far as that claim goes. The engine may not work with your vehicle due to reluctor wheel issues, or it may not even be the right size. But at least it'll run. That is...if you can even get ahold of them to place an order. If you do order from them, be sure to have several months to spare. And don't send anything back. If you do return parts, plan on not getting much money back. One last thing...don't plan on being on the receiving end of any correspondence with AES. In all this time, after giving them my phone number a dozen times both in conversation and via voicemail...they have NEVER called me back. Overall...I can't say that I recommend AES. I'll be taking my business elsewhere from here on out.

Last edited by kbfan1; 08-23-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Really, you say you are not associated with AES, but with some 5th grade knowledge of how the internet works these days if you simply google "wjfan1" it pops up search results for a "Susan Nichols" and her picture resembles a women that AES posted as an employee on their Facebook page not to long ago.

Like most of the other people have said "Respect is earned, not given". Having employees make fake accounts trying to pass the blame onto some former "piece of ****" employees shows just how much this company really cares. It all starts from the top and you cannot tell me that these kinds of things go on unnoticed by the owner. If not is truly the case then they have some serious issues regardless. I have sent a few people over to AES and in the end without fail they all get screwed over. Even when they were unsatisfied with Mike or Brian, they would specifically ask for Tony. NEVER, not one time were they allowed to talk with this guy. How could this be? I think its because the other two guys were expert bullshitters and knew how to get customers to just give up. How can you say "can't we all just get along" like AES has done nothing to deserve these negative reviews? People who have been scammed by AES are simply trying to stop others from making a huge mistake. We are talking about BIG money here, tens of thousands of dollars in a lot of cases. If Tony is such a stand up guy why have the massive amounts of complaints we have seen on these forums gone unanswered for so long? I am sure you will pass the message along to the owner at AES since you obviously work for the company
Old 08-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Teching In

WOW...your a rocket scientist. Yes I am working at AES. I don't make up fake accounts either. "No" refers to the "other two". Anyone that knows me knows I don't take **** and I will give it if you asked for it. I am a long time friend of Tony's. I am trying to help their customer service get to where it should be unlike "other two" have not previously done. I've seen guys bash one shop only to take their stuff to another and bash them. I've told them to leave their crying towels at home when they came to the track. Tired of BS....gave up the racing group after 20 years. As I mentioned before, really sorry to hear of these stories but trying to put the effort into making AES what it really is...A great engine building shop. The house has been cleaned and rest assure you can get a phone called answered and know that things are being handled properly. Haven't been here that long but hoping for the best. Have to move forward and learn from the past.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

wjfan1 = Sue Nichols (Works at AES)

More information here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...ver-again.html

Tell me more about how LS7 and BTR Slow Leakdown Rate lifters are "the same"

Last edited by Rare96LT1Formula; 08-26-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

WOW...your a rocket scientist. Yes I am working at AES. I don't make up fake accounts either. "No" refers to the "other two". Anyone that knows me knows I don't take **** and I will give it if you asked for it. I am a long time friend of Tony's. I am trying to help their customer service get to where it should be unlike "other two" have not previously done. I've seen guys bash one shop only to take their stuff to another and bash them. I've told them to leave their crying towels at home when they came to the track. Tired of BS....gave up the racing group after 20 years. As I mentioned before, really sorry to hear of these stories but trying to put the effort into making AES what it really is...A great engine building shop. The house has been cleaned and rest assure you can get a phone called answered and know that things are being handled properly. Haven't been here that long but hoping for the best. Have to move forward and learn from the past.

Well all I can say, if AES stop lying to their customers, that will be a huge step forward, and the best bit is, it doesnt cost anyone a cent to tell the truth.

Another step forward would be coming forward and making an apology for practises in the past, whether from current or previous staff.

I would rarely wish any business to fail, and at times AES have been helpful to me, so even despite the very bad service I did receive I do try to remain open minded.

But just tell the damn truth.

If something will take longer, just admit it, if you can't supply parts, just say so, if there are problems/delays, just be up front about it.
If refunds are due, just pay the damn money back.

I'm sure the biggest simgle thing most customers hate, is being told a pack of bloody lies. That's easy to fix and costs nothing....just tell the truth.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:49 AM

Default You're just not getting it..

I think you are still failing to miss the point Sue. Its not just a matter of some wrong doing by AES. There is thousands, I bet more like hundreds of thousands of dollars that has been scammed by AES. Trust me, I have first hand experience from a friend who recently had some work done. Paying well over 10k out the door. I am willing to say AES spent a solid 2k just to give the illusion that he got what he was actually paying for. I cannot imagine how many other customers have had this same problem, not to mention the amount of people who probably haven't tore their engine apart yet to find out they got used parts, or just some cheap junk AES had laying around.

I understand that you have been friends with the family for a long time, and yes maybe they are very nice people over there. That is great, but you know I bet Bernie Madoff's family will tell you the same thing about him. Business ethics do not change overnight, especially when you have only know one thing for so long. Mike worked at AES for what ten years? You are telling me Tony is innocent and he cleaned house of Mike and Brian. When infact Mike and Brian both quit, they chose to leave, AES did not clean house.

I think the most admirable thing that AES could do is take a stack of the cash they scammed from customers out of the owners bank account; maybe about 10k to be fair, and light it on fire so they can feel what their customers have gone through. I think that would show they feel some remorse and have really turned the corner on their shady business practices and ethics. Don't just hijack and 3 year old thread on some popular racing engine forum and expect that everything is just going to be ok. You don't falsely make posts saying "AES is the place, they get it done right!" You go out and you make it right. Why not make a post on their facebook page apologizing to their customers or make some phone calls to customers who have been wronged in the past before they get a chance to complain. Earn the respect back of the racing community and all of the customers who spent their hard earned money on bogus engines and false claims. I am not doubting the knowledge and abilities that Tony possesses as a machinist and engine builder, but someone needs to step up and admit some accountability. Like the previous post said, that would at least be a step in right direction
Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Teching In

WOW...your a rocket scientist.
Insults, that's what you come here with

Yes I am working at AES. I don't make up fake accounts either. "No" refers to the "other two".
Calling you out on this BS, don't convolute it.

You were specifically asked if you work for AES and you specifically said NO.

I am trying to help their customer service get to where it should be unlike "other two" have not previously done. I've seen guys bash one shop only to take their stuff to another and bash them. I've told them to leave their crying towels at home when they came to the track.
People have had their hard earned money and time wasted by Mike and Brian and this is the best you have?

I'd have to agree with the previous post a public apology on your facebook page is warranted, at the very least.

What do you think Sue?

V

Last edited by kbfan1; 08-27-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Northern Illinois engine builder