Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Good Transmission Shop near Columbus, OH??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good Transmission Shop near Columbus, OH??

Hey Everybody!

I'm new to the forum, and actually new to owning an f-body (or, at least one I can drive--had a third gen for a few years as a project). I bought a 98 Z28 A4 that had a new crate engine put in it a few thousand ago. The owner told me they also rebuilt the transmission when they were replacing the engine. Well, either they did a shoddy job rebuilding it or he lied to me because now the 2-3 shift is slipping under anything beyond part throttle (it hits the rev limiter and keeps bouncing off of it until you let back on the throttle for it to shift) and I am suspecting a burnt 3-4 clutch pack. I pulled the dipstick and smelled a burnt clutch smell on the fluid as well. Anyways, I will be pulling the transmission soon but I need some leads on a good place to take it to get it rebuilt. I want someone that has some experience with the 4L60E's. Anyone have a place near Columbus, OH they know of? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Hey Everybody!

I'm new to the forum, and actually new to owning an f-body (or, at least one I can drive--had a third gen for a few years as a project). I bought a 98 Z28 A4 that had a new crate engine put in it a few thousand ago. The owner told me they also rebuilt the transmission when they were replacing the engine. Well, either they did a shoddy job rebuilding it or he lied to me because now the 2-3 shift is slipping under anything beyond part throttle (it hits the rev limiter and keeps bouncing off of it until you let back on the throttle for it to shift) and I am suspecting a burnt 3-4 clutch pack. I pulled the dipstick and smelled a burnt clutch smell on the fluid as well. Anyways, I will be pulling the transmission soon but I need some leads on a good place to take it to get it rebuilt. I want someone that has some experience with the 4L60E's. Anyone have a place near Columbus, OH they know of? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
Hi Scott,

Our expertise is 4L60e transmissions. We are only a few hours from Columbus. We are in Daleville Indiana. We can ship a transmission to you as well. Whichever works best for you. Just let me know if you have any questions. If you would like to do some research on us just google RPM Transmissions and you should find a lot of good info about us.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just checked out your site and looks like you guys know what you are doing! Say I wanted to bring mine in and have you rebuild the original, what would be the down time? Or, if I chose to ship mine to you and you ship me a built one, what additional costs (shipping, core, etc.) would I be looking at on top of the $1995 Level IV transmission?

Anyone else have any other shops close to Columbus they know of? Would prefer somewhere closer than RPM, just for convenience's sake, but I'm open to driving if I have to...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
FormerVendor

Shipping to you would only be $119. We would ship you a build transmission from one of our cores and you would just put your worn out trans on the shipping unit and call us. We then send for a pickup and you don't have to mess with shipping your core back. So your total would be $2114 shipped to you for a Level 4 trans.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Welcome to the forum I'm also from Columbus Ohio. I have a Performabuilt level 3 in my car and it has been awesome, I also have some friends locally who have used RPM with good success. There really isn't a quality place locally for anything other then a stock rebuild. Let me know if I can help with any unbiased info.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for your help guys. Guess I will be looking at sending it away. I was trying not to do that...would like to have the original rebuilt. I'm sentimental like that, there's really no good reason to keep the original. Jeremy, what about doing a stall or something if I went with RPM? I saw it was $735 for a torque converter--is that any stall speed?

ND2RACE, thanks for the local heads up too. Are you in Columbus, or one of the surrounding areas? My wife and I are about a mile away from OSU campus.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

You should get on ColumbusRacing.com and ask the local guys before you ship it off. Also I'm sure IPS MotorSports in Columbus can recommend someone.

... and personally I user Rossler in Youngstown.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for your help guys. Guess I will be looking at sending it away. I was trying not to do that...would like to have the original rebuilt. I'm sentimental like that, there's really no good reason to keep the original. Jeremy, what about doing a stall or something if I went with RPM? I saw it was $735 for a torque converter--is that any stall speed?

ND2RACE, thanks for the local heads up too. Are you in Columbus, or one of the surrounding areas? My wife and I are about a mile away from OSU campus.
Yes, that is any stall speed you want. We use Precision Industries Vig converters. We have had fantastic luck with them over the years. I can work up a package deal for you with a trans and converter. PM me if you'd like.

Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO
You should get on ColumbusRacing.com and ask the local guys before you ship it off. Also I'm sure IPS MotorSports in Columbus can recommend someone.

... and personally I user Rossler in Youngstown.
IPS is a bunch of great guys. We build all of their transmissions. We built the entire drivetrain in Mark Carlyle's world record holding C6 Z06.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

I cannot say enough about the guys at RPM Transmissions. If you want a quality transmission that you do not have to worry about.... Hands Down, RPM FTW.

Good Luck with your decision!

-James
Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM

You could always ship your original to RPM and have them build it for you. They do good work over there and I'm sure you will be happy with their work. Plus I really like some of the custom parts they use! Keep up the great work guys. Vince
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Teching In

How about Rossler in Girard, OH.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Over here in Reynoldsburg, and I'm a technician at a local GM dealer. Big Chevy fanatic, lots of local car stuff you can get involved in when the weather gets nice, so hopefully I'll see you out.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

ND2RACE--Good to know! Yeah, I got the car in November so I've been itching to have some good weather to drive it in. Maybe I will see you around town this summer.

And, thanks for the help guys. I've been looking at RPM transmissions, and thanks Jeremy for all your help, but I've also taken a look at Performabuilt. I am, unfortunately, on a bit of a budget when it comes to this because it was an unexpected expense. I am just trying to get it done right for a good price, and Performabuilt seems to be a bit cheaper than some of the others. If anyone has any more thoughts/advice about RPM/Performabuilt/other shops, it is appreciated!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

pm me...

Quick Reply: Good Transmission Shop near Columbus, OH??