Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

A buddy's '97 Supra single turbo (all stock engine): unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default A buddy's '97 Supra single turbo (all stock engine): unbelievable

Since the site appears not to have an "other cars" section, I guess I'll post this in here and hope I don't dent any feelings. As we're from north central IL.
I plan on running my friend's Supra (listed below) at its low boost setting of 14psi and hope I have a decent chance to keep up in my heads/cam/intake/headers 2000 Vette. But I still see getting my *** kicked even with the Supra at 14psi because it probably makes 450whp or more.

So a close friend of mine got his '97 Supra w/ 61mm single turbo back from Sound Performance and thought to share it. The car has a completely 100% stock motor and top-end, from the throttle body to the oil pan. Upgrades are a single Precision 61mm turbo upgrade, exhaust system, Sound Performance E85 fuel system & ProEFI stand-alone computer, tuned by Sound Performance. Running E85 @31psi the car put down 667whp on the rollers. I'm amazed myself at the numbers its making with a completely stock engine, head and cams.
And not to mention the car currently has a handicap. The header is not big enough to run it to max rpm's due to a thing called "boost creep", which I can not explain exactly.

Video (on facebook)
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....06816&comments

Last edited by R6cowboy; 05-13-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing sounds amazing.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of track times is he running?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I've heard of plenty stock bottom end 2JZ's making 750-800+ to the wheels. They're pretty killer motors.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

No doubt, 700-900hp stock bottom end Supra's aren't uncommon. His car is also doing it with no head work, stock cams, stock intake and stock throttle body. These motors are badass.

He hasn't been to the track with it yet. He's not going to until he gets solid rear mounts, drag radials and a bigger turbo manifold to rid of the "boost creep", so he can run high boost and rev the motor to redline.
The car pulls like crazy, its almost mind-blowing if you're not use to it. He has good street tires on it now, but just the other day the car was breaking loose in 4th gear at almost 100mph. And completely destroys my R6 in a race, obviously.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...Mendota's not that big...figured I'd have seen one of you guys running around by now. Especially a 700hp Supra. I love those cars.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
The header is not big enough to run it to max rpm's due to a thing called "boost creep", which I can not explain exactly.
Basically the wastegate can't bleed off enough exhaust to keep additional boost from building. Kind of surprising to hear that with the amount of boost he's running but I'm not sure what manifold he's running and 31psi is probably near the max on that turbo.

Stock block 2JZ's are pretty amazing. There's a few 700+ whp cars in the Chicagoland area and they've held together for years at those power levels.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr CHI
Hmmm...Mendota's not that big...figured I'd have seen one of you guys running around by now. Especially a 700hp Supra. I love those cars.
Where are you located? Do you hang around the Mendota or LaSalle-Peru area at all? Neal's the only one with a red MKIV Supra within a 30 mile radius from Mendota I'm pretty sure. There use to be one in Rochelle, not sure anymore, haven't seen it in a long time.

My car isn't done yet. Once it is, we'll be out on the weekends occasionally.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 05-22-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Mendota everyday, but never make it to L-P. They like to fight too much over there.

Only sports cars I've seen around are GT's. There's a Red H/C T/A that would give that Supra a decent run though...

Regardless, that car sounds incredible and I'm sure it's a blast.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get a Supra with an auto, right? How come all the badass turbo Supras I see have sticks? Turbos and autos are like peas and carrots.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr CHI
I'm in Mendota everyday, but never make it to L-P. They like to fight too much over there.

Only sports cars I've seen around are GT's. There's a Red H/C T/A that would give that Supra a decent run though...

Regardless, that car sounds incredible and I'm sure it's a blast.
He doesn't drive the Supra too often as he DD's his pick-up and Grand Am. He takes the Supra out for a quick spin around town once in a while. Do you DD the T/A or ever bring it to Mendota? I don't recall seeing a red T/A around, or at least one that sounds like it would be any more then stock anyway.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
You could get a Supra with an auto, right? How come all the badass turbo Supras I see have sticks? Turbos and autos are like peas and carrots.
Yes. All of the fastest drag Supra's are automatic.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
Most are street cars and the 6 speeds rule the highways. The stock 6 speed can also handle a ton of power while the stock auto can't (all the automatic high hp Supras have powerglides or TH400s in them).
Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Launching!

id like to see it actually run on the street!

Quick Reply: A buddy's '97 Supra single turbo (all stock engine): unbelievable