Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop

Hey guys,

Just putting a feeler out there to see if anyone knows of a good exhaust shop in the Columbus, OH area. I am from Marysville OH (about 1/2 hr NW of C-bus) but would be willing to drive a little to get to a good one. I am looking to get a set of stainless true duals with bullet cats done and would like a shop that will do a good job. I just took my Camaro into the local exhaust shop today for an estimate and the guy acted like I didn't know what I was doing by wanting to do true duals. "There's not enough clearance," "You don't want to do that," "Why don't you just get a cat-back system?" blah, blah, blah. I just don't think he wanted to mess with it, so I am shopping around for someone who is willing to work with me. Thanks in advance for the help!

Scott
Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Mad Hatter Mufflers
3390 Sullivant Ave.
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 279-1111
Old 08-20-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, Humbler. Funny thing is I've actually take our other car to them for a new muffler and I know they are a good shop for stock exhaust replacements. Have you had any experience with them doing any custom work?

Anybody else? Good exhaust shops you know of in the C-bus area for a TD setup?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Madhatter all the way, I'm sure they can fix you right up!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome. Thanks for the second, ClarksLS1SS. I'll give them a call on Monday.

Another question--A little nervous about running open headers 30 miles or so down to Columbus with the car (I will be doing the header install myself). Think my o2s will last that long?
Old 08-27-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just wanted to update this thread for posterity. Called Mad Hatter, and the guy I talked to claims they do not do anything other than OEM routing because they could get in trouble. Who knows if the next guy you talk to there will say the same thing, but that's what I was told. They recommended a really friendly shop right down the street that seems reasonably priced, though. I showed up an hour after they were closed (not knowing their hours, just having driven over from Mad Hatter) and they were still there and spent 15 minutes or so looking at the car and talking about my options. Good place, and they WILL do true duals, just not over the axle like I am wanting.

Solo Mufflers
2265 Eakin Road
Columbus, OH 43223-3201
(614) 276-4664

Just thought I would throw that out there if anyone needs info in the future.

Scott
Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Default True Duals in CMH

I would not drive my car that distance with open headers.In Columbus the only one I use on all my cars is Exhaust Systems Plus,they can do it.They do custom bending every day on cars that never had duals from the factory.Have a design plan in mind that you can explain like TSP style, over or under the axel and so on.

Exhaust Systems Plus
1187 Williams Rd
Columbus Ohio 43207
614 492 0995

P.S. Ask for Joe when you call and tell them you heard on LS1 tech
Old 08-28-2011, 06:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, omc8! I will keep them in mind as well. I am also looking into other options now as money is tighter than I thought for this project.

Why would you not drive that distance open headers? Afraid of burning up the 02s or damaging the engine running that lean? Or, you just don't think you could stand the noise?

Scott
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 AM
11 Second Club

columbusracing.com will hook you hp with info
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Thanks, omc8! I will keep them in mind as well. I am also looking into other options now as money is tighter than I thought for this project.

Why would you not drive that distance open headers? Afraid of burning up the 02s or damaging the engine running that lean? Or, you just don't think you could stand the noise?

Scott
Hey , Mac
Did you get in touch with Exhaust System Plus , if you want them to haul your car they may for a fee.If you do decide to drive it to columbus dont get off at 270 exit 49 and go thur Obetz.Because you will diffantly get busted! Call Joe for directions to avoid this ,and get a ticket. Im going to have my car in there shop in for my TDs , hopefuly next week so I may have my car done before you.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you're the guy Joe was talking about with the Trans Am? I talked to him earlier this week and he said a friend of his was gonna be coming in for a similar setup soon and he would let me know what we could do after he looked at your car. Did he already look at it? I was going to call him tomorrow morning and see if he did.

I'm still trying to make up my mind about the exhaust. I really would like to do TDs, but I think cost may be a limiting factor because whatever I do to the exhaust, I am wanting stainless which I know for TDs will get expensive. Let me know how yours turns out! I would like to hear some videos and see some pics when it's done! What year is your car?

By the way, thanks for the advice about avoiding Obetz. I would rather not pay to trailer it down, but I definitely don't want a ticket...
Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Mac,
Yes Joe looked at my Trans Am ,but its my Z28 that's getting the TDs ,I was hoping that we have a start up on it yesterday but that didn't happen.Its probably going to be next week now,just had the engine built.Will keep you posted on the progress on it.Once we get it started, a basic tune and its off to Exhaust System Plus for my TDs.Then back to Mike Ward Racing for a Dyno tune.I didn't know you were going stainless steel, thats big bucks. These TDs are not cheap,I'm just going with 3" aluminized pipe to keep the cost down.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, my car is a DD and gets driven in the winter, so anything I'm doing I want it to last. I talked to Joe this afternoon about a stainless system and it may end up being out of my price range. We'll see. I told him for the money I would shell out even for aluminized pipe, I wouldn't want to have to do it again in a few years. I am also thinking of doing a Y setup with a good merge on it, for price reasons. I really like the sound of TDs, though.

What size engine are you building for your Z? He said you've been working on it for a while--what year is it?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Finally its ALIVE

Well yesterday we finally got it started and this build has been a long stretch but its finally rounding the corner and headed home. This is what we built started with a low mileage LQ9 long block, took it .30 over forged Mahle pistons,Scat H-beam rods, stock crank polished and balanced,melling high volume oil pump, SLP under-drive harmonic damper, GMPP L92 cnc heads with LS6 springs and LS3 valves. LS6 valley cover, LS2 timing chain, LS9 timing chain tensioner and LS7 lifters.Lunati cam , LS3 intake. Nick Williams 92m TB and American racing 1 7/8 headers. Coil relocation kit - truck coils and all accessories replaced with new expect a/c compressor and the starter. With the exception of the rods , pistons, bearings, ARP bolts and some gaskets every thing is is GM So tomorrow I'm picking the car up at Mike Ward Racing, they are going to do the dyno tune. But next its off to Exhaust Systems Plus for my TD system. I will keep you posted on the progress.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Awesome!

Awesome to hear, man! Lookin forward to hearing/seeing some exhaust pics and clips as well as hear how the dyno session goes. You think you could post some pics and possibly some vids? I know you must be excited as Joe told me this build has been a long work in progress.

I think I am backing away from TDs. I would love to do it, but the cost is not worth it to me as I will probably do just as well with a 3in y setup with a good merge. I don't have any plans to do anything crazy other than a cam and possibly lightly worked 243 heads in the future, so the TDs would be purely for the sound. I found a really good deal on a magnaflow catback on ebay and am going to pick it up Monday. I am thinking of doing this with a cutout, and having Joe fab up a custom stainless y with a flowmaster merge.

What part of Columbus do run around in? My wife and I were down in the Clintonville area until we moved out to Marysville.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well they started on the exhaust Monday and they bent the pipes from the collectors made the the X pipe and installed BMR upper panhard bar.And today got all the way over the axel with both pipes.So it coming right along , also today they started making me custom mufflers. This is a proto type experimental muffler I don't know how good its going to be or sound we will see. I have taken some pics but having problems with jpg size. Need to find a way to down size to post directly . I started a vehicle profile and the the pics can be seen here for now www.fquick.com/omc8
Hope to have the pic resizing worked out soon and post directly to the forum. I will try to post pics of the mufflers tomorrow. Oh and yes the under side of the car is dirty and rusty axel housing I know. I'm pleased with the progress and all the bends so far, they are taking there time to get it right.Its difficult to bend 3" with out crushing it in the radius.Considering they made the X pipe and all the pipe, its progressing quite well .
Old 09-14-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yea you have type in the URL to get their , the link from the forum does not take you their but it is correct www.fquick.com/omc8
Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looking good! Glad to hear you can do the 3" over the axle--I didn't know if Joe was going to be able to do that, but I guess with the BMR panhard rod it gives you more room. Let me know what it ends up costing you, if you don't mind. I'd be curious to know if it ends up being less because I may get interested in doing a stainless system if it would be less than what Joe and I originally talked about. Are you running a cam in the 6.0? If so, what are the specs and what converter you running for the trans?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Mac, Dont know how much, he has not told me yet ,but I am sure he will when its done. The cam is mild, I selected it for torque not peak hp. Lunati 209/217 .537-.531 lsa 114 , The trans is a stock 4L65e, next spring I will have the trans built with a stall and probaly a 9" rear with 3.73 gears. Thats the plan any way!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

I'm curious as to what the charge is for true duals.. I'd love to do it at some point down the road when I get my car back.

Quick Reply: Good Columbus OH area Exhaust Shop