Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Straightline Performance or Fast Motorsports for a tune near Chicago IL

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straightline Performance or Fast Motorsports for a tune near Chicago IL

I have almost a full bolt-on LS1 that I am strongly considering getting tuned. I am deciding between the 2 above mentioned shops. I am wondering who people have gone through and had good experiences with. I know about Speedinc as well but their dynotune is a little bit out of my price range.

Mods if it matters are listed in my signature.

Please give me any advice or recommendations you may have. Thank you in advance!!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Straightline has been around for a while and are good guys with allot of knowledge. Great guys you can talk to about anything and competitive pricing
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of Fast Motorsports. I'm leaning towards Straightline as well for my head/cam install. They've worked on my car before and were very cool and I was very pleased with their prices. I was curious about Speedinc too but their quote was much higher like you stated.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club

Straightline Performance all day.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

+1 Straightline Performance
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everyone I know uses straight line and their cars came out fantastic
Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

What did straight line quote you for a tune? I have had all my tuning done by speed inc. prices seemed fair from speed inc buy 90 percent of my parts from speed too
Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Straighline is the way to go! I just had my car tune by them this past monday and im really happy with there work. They will always have my business
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Straightline seems to be the place to go as far as I'm concerned. I was inquiring yesterday about a tune with them and they were pretty quick to respond. I didn't hear back from Fast Motorsports. as far as speed inc their dynotune in their website states its $500. I also went in there once and wasnt all that impressed with a few things I picked up on put I wont go into detail. if anyone has had a bolt on ls1 tuned at straightline please pm me or. post the numbers you made and what mods. I am just curious. I am hoping to get around 350rwhp with the mods my car has.

thanks guys for helping me pick the right place and giving me a quick response!!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

What kinda ported heads do you have? Normally that makes it not just bolt on anymore. With ported heads depending on what and who ported them you should hit 350 no problem
Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Banned

Straightline performance

I use to be a straightline costumer for a long time before I came on for the fabrication. I can tell you this though. What I always liked about them/us is the costumer service and how the little spender gets treated the same as the big spenders, everyone here is just really down to earth and a pleasure to be around.

When they did my bolt on car 4 years ago I hit 338rwhp and 350 rwtq on the mustang dyno, the car felt badass for what it was and the tune was spot on! Mike really will blow your mind with how deep his knowledge goes with tuning!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Launching!

ds98formula, my heads are 241's. The previous owner claimed they were ported, and I have reason to believe that they were seeing as everything else the person told me about the vehicle was true. Seeing as the intake was replaced with a LS6 intake, it makes sense that the Heads may have been pulled off as well. I am hoping it gets me above 350hp along with all the other mods done but if not i'll just be happy with a reasonable number. The car needs the tune!!

Joe, yeah I went to Straightline a few years back before I had a LS1 F body, I had a 79 Camaro at the time but I took a ride up with my friend who has a 98 Z28. I was impressed with the facility. Also yeah, i'm not going to lie, i'm not Mr. big spender right now seeing as i'm 23, in college, and making barely anything at my current job. But for me respect goes a long way. Maybe my current situation is not as "respectable" as some customers, but the thing is, if I get treated right, I will not stop going to a certain place until I have very good reason to.

I was 17 when I bought my 79 Camaro, and I sold it a year ago when I was 22. I bought all my parts (Internal engine parts, ignition parts, exhaust parts, you name it) from one speedshop because the man there treated me with respect, took his time with me and taught me a lot in the process. That was at Dixon Automotive in Gurnee/Waukegan, IL. Unfortunately Ray Dixon passed away early this year and 6 months beforehand I had entered the world of the LS1. Ray was about 70 or 80 years old and his strengths lied in the older vehicles.

Anyways I am pretty excited to get my car tuned, see how it does, and experience my first time seeing my own vehicle on a dyno!!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
Straightline seems to be the place to go as far as I'm concerned. I was inquiring yesterday about a tune with them and they were pretty quick to respond. I didn't hear back from Fast Motorsports. as far as speed inc their dynotune in their website states its $500. I also went in there once and wasnt all that impressed with a few things I picked up on put I wont go into detail. if anyone has had a bolt on ls1 tuned at straightline please pm me or. post the numbers you made and what mods. I am just curious. I am hoping to get around 350rwhp with the mods my car has.

thanks guys for helping me pick the right place and giving me a quick response!!
Numbers and mods in my sig. Tune for just bolt-ons was ~$300 I believe. Great shop, great guys, and great results. Highly recommend them.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Let us know when you get your tune and what you put down
Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Straightline looks like a stand up shop. I need to see what they charge for a dyno tune..
Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

First off, I'd like to thank everybody for the kind words, I probably haven't made a post on this site in over 2 years, but I figured this would be a good way to answer the tuning pricing questions.

We have different pricing based on what is done with the cars.

For all LSx, Ford SBF/Modular, and Modern Hemi motors tuning is $450 for a NA car and $500 for a power added car with a factory computer.

Now for 97-2004 LS1/LS6 cars bolt on only tunes are $300. These "bolt on" only tunes are not applicable to post 2004 LSx computer cars (sorry guys).

Pre LSx, and import OEM tuning is by the hour.

Stand alone tuning can be done through us at an hourly rate, or through Don Bailey Enterprises, in which he charges his tuning fee, and the dyno is then technically rented to the customer by the hour.

Prices are subject to change and software licenses as needed.

Now for the OP's question, I would still try and tune the car for $300 as a "bolt on" because although the heads weren't original to that year car, they were on different year cars.

What I used to determine a "bolt on" tune from a full tune is whether or not I have to adjust any idle tables, and then it's a judgement call on my end (see they let me make some decisions around here) to charge more than the $300 for a bolt on.

Now as far as horsepower number go.... I do not "chase" numbers. When I tune, I look at the AFR and the timing advanced. If those are "right", then the car is going to make what it makes. Bolt on cars are typically 330 -350rwhp on our dyno (what dyno you are on makes a difference, my N/A LS6 based car makes 485rwhp on our dyno and 521rwhp on a DynoJet, as does if the car is an automatic or manual).

Hope that answers all of your questions.

Mike Hornback
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
First off, I'd like to thank everybody for the kind words, I probably haven't made a post on this site in over 2 years, but I figured this would be a good way to answer the tuning pricing questions.

For all LSx, Ford SBF/Modular, and Modern Hemi motors tuning is $450 for a NA car and $500 for a power added car with a factory computer.

Now for 97-2004 LS1/LS6 cars bolt on only tunes are $300. These "bolt on" only tunes are not applicable to post 2004 LSx computer cars (sorry guys).

Stand alone tuning can be done through us at an hourly rate, or through Don Bailey Enterprises, in which he charges his tuning fee, and the dyno is then technically rented to the customer by the hour.

Now for the OP's question, I would still try and tune the car for $300 as a "bolt on" because although the heads weren't original to that year car, they were on different year cars.

What I used to determine a "bolt on" tune from a full tune is whether or not I have to adjust any idle tables, and then it's a judgement call on my end (see they let me make some decisions around here) to charge more than the $300 for a bolt on.

Now as far as horsepower number go.... I do not "chase" numbers. When I tune, I look at the AFR and the timing advanced. If those are "right", then the car is going to make what it makes. Bolt on cars are typically 330 -350rwhp on our dyno (what dyno you are on makes a difference, my N/A LS6 based car makes 485rwhp on our dyno and 521rwhp on a DynoJet, as does if the car is an automatic or manual).

Mike Hornback
Are you familiar with HSW Interface Nitrous Controller? I don't know diddly squat about tuning and thought this controller pulls timing from the box. It does, but only 3 - to pull more they said some "tables" need to changed. Is this something you can do?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Are you familiar with HSW Interface Nitrous Controller? I don't know diddly squat about tuning and thought this controller pulls timing from the box. It does, but only 3 - to pull more they said some "tables" need to changed. Is this something you can do?

Thanks
Not a problem, give us a call and I can go over it with you.

Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Straightline here! Since 2006/7 I forget, never an issue and always there for me. What else can you wish for! Never heard of Fast Motorsports, don't think their even a sponsor here lol.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline

Mike Hornback
Thanks Mike for chiming in. I'll be seeing you in 2-4 weeks to get my Trans Am tuned!! I definitely didn't want you to chase any numbers I was just hoping for a certain number, but like I said i'll just be happy to have my car tuned. I have no doubts about bringing my car to Straightline at all. I got the reassurance that I wanted.

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!!

Quick Reply: Straightline Performance or Fast Motorsports for a tune near Chicago IL