Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Headers and No cats in Wisconsin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and No cats in Wisconsin?

I'm looking to put headers on my car and not sure if I should go with cats or not. This is a street car and I live in Wisconsin, so what I'm asking is how do the cops treat you guys? And will I run into trouble with no cats? I'm running an SLP loudmouth with them as well.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I have to be careful answering this one lol.
IF you actually run into someone who is willing to peek under the car AND they know what theyre looking for and see they aren't there.. more often than not you'd receive a 5day repair order.
In my career, I have yet to see anyone cited for exhaust other than by State Patrol. I would also add that more often than not, usually driving like a jackwagon when people could get hurt gets police attention in places like where you and I live. If you're driving responsibly and "gurgle" by, no one will probably notice.

All that being said, yes if they do check and see no cats, there is statutory language requiring factory installed emissions components to be in working order that you could be cited for.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have no cats... but stock exhaust manifolds.... havent gotten stopped around milwaukee... been followed plenty of times... even got a thumbs up from a cop down by Bradford Beach
Old 08-07-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for high flow cats, so you can minimize rasp!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:13 AM

Never gotten messed with. 97z28 m6 so it's extra loud winding out the gears lol... Full bolt ons everything but the kitchen sink, AC emissions delete you name it, no cats lt headers 3" ory full SLP LOUDMOUTH exhaust... Well it's a magnamouth, the magnaflow bullet sounds much nicer. My car sounds sick.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:15 AM

Just to be safe I coast into neutral past pigs, but never gotten stopped either way. Just don't go WOT right near them and you'll be totally fine, I think it's pretty much expected for these cars to sound good/loud and any cop who stops you for that truly has no *****.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I rip them off every vehicle I buy. Never had a cop look either. Ive never even heard of a cop in my area questioning them. We have one cop thats a real ******* too... and hes only cited people for aftermarket exhaust because it was loud, never heard of him citing for cats. Cats are like snake oil.....worthless.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
i have no cats... but stock exhaust manifolds.... havent gotten stopped around milwaukee... been followed plenty of times... even got a thumbs up from a cop down by Bradford Beach
Where in Milwaukee are you from? I live down there.

As for the OP I have longtubes and TSP True Duals with the powersticks instead of bullets and no cats. Couple things. First, register your car in a county that doesn't require emissions then you don't have to worry about going to get it checked. I think 98s don't have to anymore since they are 15yrs old. I have had a cop stop me once and just said he could give me a ticket for loud exhaust but he didn't want to because he liked my car. I have never once had anyone look under any of my cars for cats. With my TA they would have to get quite low to look anyways and I doubt they would want to.

As long as you don't drive like a jackass you will be fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

I run high flow cats and have been warned for noise. I told the county cop that pulled me over I had cats and o2's in place and he said in WI any alteration to make your car louder than stock is illegal.

I would get high flow cats. Going w/out cats is obnoxious and the power gain is negligible. Besides, w/out cats, every time you get on it you'll attract every cop within a 2 mile radius. Better yet, get some cutouts. Problem solved.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 AM
On The Tree

^That cop must be on a powertrip just like most cops, he's full of ****. I don't run cats on any of my vehicles. My new 13 6.2 sierra even has ARH longtubes and ORY. One of my SS's i run GMMG with LT's and ORY, just be smart about where you romp on it. Ive never gotten a pulled over for exhaust that was too loud.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to pipe in and say thanks for all the feedback guys, There's only one real dick head cop in the area. He's a state patrol, but if rumors are true he should retire in the next year or too. Everyone that has any mod in the area he has pulled over, got me and my dad for no front license plate. After he saw it on the car for a while I put my plate cover back on anyway, looks bad without it. The worst part is he has three 67-69 challengers, way to be a fellow hot rodder.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Wouldn't worry about it..
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Teching In

MN chiming in here, being we dont have emmissions since 97, I have always ripped em off my vehicles, and point in case as mentioned they either need to take the time to look, or what I like to do when pulled over is trun off the car, bc My 350z smells, but the built TA F'n reaks like a fuelie

Quick Reply: Headers and No cats in Wisconsin?