Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Moving to Minneapolis in January

Old 12-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Minneapolis in January

I am moving to the Minneapolis area this January, Im coming from Georgia and I have no idea of what to expect outside of cold weather. Could any of you midwestern guys offer any insight on how to prepare for the cold or the city in general and what methods worth best to keep rust off your vehicles?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

(SN: Has anyone heard of the area in minneapolis called Stevens Square. Is that a fairly good area to live? Im a young single male with no kids.)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I've lived in Minnesota my whole life, very cold winters very nice spring, summer and falls, no such thing as keeping salt off your vehicle up here, they absolutely murder the roads with salt in the winter. Anything you don't want rusted put it in storage and wait patiently, ha
Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Buy a winter beater and store the good car.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was stationed in Augusta, GA for a few years and moved back to MN after my service and when I moved home in January it was a bit of a shock even though I knew what to expect. You will like the comfortable summers vs the hot humid ones you have now. The cold winter is way better than the humid 100 degree summers. The one thing I miss about the south is a 12 month motorcycle season. Keep in mind that you acclimate. You are used to hotter climate so it will be cold at first but after a year or two it won't be so bad.

To be honest with you, my sister in law lived in Stevens Square. Parking sucks and crime is heavy. Her car was damaged and broken into on multiple occasions. I wouldn't let my wife walk outside alone at night there. I work walking distance from there in down town Minneapolis so I can say if you work down town the commute is easy.

As for protecting your car. Other than storing it the best thing you can do is wash the salt off regularly but you have to do it when the weather lets you otherwise you will end up with frozen door locks.

You will like it up here. We will be glad to have you.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of people like to poo-poo the Midwest, but after you spend some time here you'll wonder what the hell is wrong with a lot of other places.

In the Midwest if you want to keep a car rust free, you have a daily driver and then leave the enthusiast vehicle in the garage. It kind of sucks, but here's a list of pro's about it:

1). Fewer miles
2). More appreciation for the vehicle
3). More off-season time to work on the vehicle (assuming you've got a garage/tools)
4). Less wear, chances of damage
5). Potentially lower insurance costs (depending on what you do)

Also, since you're in Minneapolis you'll get to enjoy these fine places/events:
http://www.tpis.com/ (located just south of the twin cities)
http://www.carcraft.com/summer_nationals/ (Car craft summer nationals held at St. Paul state fair grounds)
Also, the power tour usually comes through the Midwest. It will hit up Bettendorf, IA and Wisconsin Dells this year. Definitely within driving distance.

Livernois and Speed inc will also be nearby you (Michigan and Illinois) and the WS6store is in Iowa as well.

Plus, Mall of America and events at the Target Center (T-Wolves games especially if you're an NBA guy)...and hey, no tax on clothing either. Lol
Old 12-30-2013, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 make sure you have a strong enough mix of antifreeze in the car for the cold.
Getting a winter beater is always preferred.
Snow/Ice tires. (If you have never had a set in the snow, please try some)
If your working in the garage be careful not to heat and cool the shop too much. Heard of plenty of new engines with rings rusting to fresh cross hatches due to this.
welcome to the North
Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Stephens Square is a shithole. My ex-gf used to live in that apartment area. The area isn't that great as well. Any place south of downtown is a somalian infested dump. Those apartments have a lot of college kids though but that's cause they're low income. Parking is a bitch too. Don't recommend having a truck in that area. Hard to find parking spots you fit in. One of the reasons I don't go to Uptown. Hard to find parking.

Find a winter beater. You won't get away from the salt. You can undercoat the vehicle but it only does so much. Eventually the rust will get to it.

It's cold. Really cold and it's a loooooooooong winter. I moved from Arkansas and wasn't expecting this kind of cold weather. You walk outside and it hurts. Tonight it's supposed to be -15 with wind chill near -40. The high was -1. It's not often this happens but it does happen and not uncommon. Lots of snow too. Best thing is to just layer up. Honestly, I don't do much but work from November till April cause you can't be outside and don't feel like going out when it's that cold.

Spring summer and fall are great. If you take December till April out of the calendar, it's got great weather.

So, why you moving up here?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome to the arctic circle! i dont know much about that area. i would say avoid north mpls , brooklyn park , brooklyn ctr. from about hwy 94 & broadway north to 694. (gangs). if you do move to mpls be very careful of snow emergency routes. they tow your car! what kindof car do you have? checkout the local camaro club website northstar camaro club of mn. cheers its expensive but i bought a columbia omniheat winter coat for this weather along w some thinsulate gloves!

Last edited by DANOZ28; 01-06-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Buy a winter beater in Georgia before coming up here. I picked up a rust free 82 Bronco in Texas before moving here in September. Anything you buy here on a winter beater budget will have everything under the car rusted in place.

Besides that, stay busy in winter! This place *will* suck if all you do during winter is wait for spring.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:45 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, it's a looooooooooong winter.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Good info guys. You may have saved me from getting an apartment in slum central. Ive read a news article about somalians in Minneapolis and I had a hard time believing it but I am now looking at Burnsville, which Ive heard was a good area.

And the military brings me to Minneapolis.

I own a 88 Mustang GT (currently under the knife. Be looking out for a build thread soon) and a 04 SRT-10 Ram.

How is the car culture in the midwest? Drag strip or do guys in the area prefer the unsationed route?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

not sure if the 1/8 mile grove creek dragstrip in litchfield mn is still going. over in wisconsin near eau claire is rock falls raceway 1/4 mile. then the best is BIR brainerd international raceway. top fuel event aprox 3rd week of august. as the other poster mentioned best car show hands down is car craft natls aprox 3rd week july. (muscle cars) also i think iowa has cedar falls dragstrip. (i've never been there)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you like to do more than go in a straight line there are quite a few auto cross events. The last one I went to was on an air strip so when you finished the course you hit the run way for a long top speed run.

And Back to the 50's is the best car show around here. The cars just have to be older than 1964.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

They are plenty of nightly activities on the streets too if you are into that kind of thing as well.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Can't go wrong with any TPIS advice GREAT shop & guy's plus Knowledge Can build or fix the best engine you mite want to do. Stop buy there shop for a tour talk to Myron, Clay, or Jim & Jackson if Jackson has his 1,000+ LS1 there check it out its a beast. It's also on there facebook page at Craft Car dyno.

Last edited by websdown; 02-01-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:49 AM
Staging Lane

If your looking to go drag racing this year hit me up in a PM. Have a pretty good group of regulars I go with to different tracks. We probably go at least 5-10 times in the summer. Great car culture out here too, weekly car meets, road course racing, drag racing etc.

Adam
Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Check out the Open Track Days up at BIR Brainnard Raceway a great time!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Cedar Falls Raceway is in Cedar Falls, IA. It'd be about a 3 hour commute one way from the twin cities but it's a really simple commute. There's often times guys from the tri-state area at CFR. Plenty of hotels, entertainment, ect if you'd decide to stay for a weekend or something for a CFR event.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Cedar Falls Raceway is in Cedar Falls, IA. It'd be about a 3 hour commute one way from the twin cities but it's a really simple commute. There's often times guys from the tri-state area at CFR. Plenty of hotels, entertainment, ect if you'd decide to stay for a weekend or something for a CFR event.
CFR is for sale. Hopefully it stays open, I had plans to go there for the first time this summer.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Just got this from their website. Hopefully it doesn't close.

CEDAR FALLS RACEWAY OFFERED "FOR SALE"

Cedar Falls Raceway is now being offered "For Sale" effective immediately. With Scott Gardner now serving as the President of IHRA and Dan Driscoll taking on additional responsibilities at Cordova Dragway Park, a new owner/operator is being sought. "It's our primary goal that CFR remains a dragstrip as it has a rich heritage or racing and will celebrating 50 years in 2014" said Scott Gardner. "The intent is to seek individuals interested in continuing the momentum that has been established over the last several seasons" he continued.

Interested and qualified individuals may contact Scott Gardner (309-738-5472) or Dan Driscoll (309-738-7446) for more information. A complete prospective including P&L information can be provided for qualified interested parties.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving to Minneapolis in January