Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK
View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Go To University (Student Loans)
36.36%
Go To Trade School (No Student Loans)
15.15%
Go to Community College (Smaller Student Loans)
27.27%
Try to get a good job right out of high school
21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

What did you guys do after high school?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did you guys do after high school?

What's up everyone.

This thread is just to kind of see what you guys did after high school.

Here's my situation;

The school is the Auto Diesel Institute. ( www.autodieselinstitute.com )
It is owned and operated by Baker College.

The only reason I ask is because I am a high school senior and kinda stumped about what's next haha.

So I called and got a meeting, personal tour, and talked with an counselor last week. I was originally inquiring about a certificate of Automotive Service Technology which was a 1 year program. But while I was there she showed me the Auto/Diesel Dual Program.

This program is 3 years long and in that time you receive 2 Associates Degrees of Applied Science. One in Automotive Technology and one in Diesel Technology. You also receive 1 year of work experience which means you only need one more year of work experience to be qualified to become ASE Certified.

The Auto Diesel Institute was built last year or the year before. Has more lifts than I can count, a 2,000 Sq. Ft. room of Snap On tools and a **** ton of ****.

What really won me over on this school was that it's only $9,000 a year.
But there were some huge price breaks if you got over a 3.5 or 3.75 in high school and a high enough score on the ACT.

So what it comes down to is, I get to go to school for $500 (not including books) a year for up to 4 years. Which works out good cause I didn't really wanna spend $25K a year at a university. Cause 4 years = $100K in debt.

I know a lot of people choose to go to universities and I am by no means dissing those people. My brother and cousins go to UofM or MSU.
I myself just cant imagine getting out of school after 4 years and already owing $100K. If I wanted to be in debt $100K I would put a roof over my head, for half that price.

Maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know. Who knows what to do at 18 right?

So please, I would really like to hear what you did after high school.
Did you go to a trade school? A community college? A university?
Did you go to school after high school?
Would you go back and change it if you could?
Were student loans worth it?
ANYTHING!!

I just want to know what others have done and see how they're doing.
No need to tell us what you spent or anything like that.

So let's here it guys!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to college got my associates in process technology. Took me almost a year to get a job at a refinery. Although not the one I want to be at. It's an Alumina refinery here in south texas. I want to be in an oil or chemical refinery.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont be like me! i didnt go to school and i only make 50% of what i should. if i were you i would checkout how to become a master mechanic for a dealership or checkout S.A.M. however theres nothing wrong with vo tech to become a diesel mechanic. cheers n goodluck! im in the financial industry & fairly successful, but i could be retired by now if my income had been double. my advice to you is start contributing at least the match to your company 401k plan, when your 50 you'll thank me.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I went to a community college for 2 years right after high school. Graduated with an associates in IT. Luckily landed an awesome job 8 months after graduating. 3 years later I am deciding to go back to school for a Bachelors (I don't want to be a peon IT worker my whole life running cables and what not, don't get me wrong it's not a bad job and I absolutely love it. I just think I can do better) through another local University. Only 14 credit hours transferred I believe, which means I am going to school for atleast another 3 years instead of 2. But work is paying $250 per credit hour out of the $325/credit hour this University is charging. So that kinda sucks that I will be going to school longer, but on the bright side I have no student loans. I worked on my dads farm throughout high school and college, with books and tuition was around $1500/semester at the community college. He paid the bill on that. A community college is great if you want a real job right away, but it may not be what you want to do the rest of your life and you'll end up going back for longer than 4 years total. Although the auto industry I'm sure is different.

To me it sounds like a no brainer, go for 3 years and get two degrees and only be one year away from being ASE certified sounds pretty awesome. Having 2 associates degrees will be a huge win for you against most others in the auto industry. Most of my friends only have a certificate. Which IMO is not good odds at all for them. The most schooling you have the better you look on paper to management, and that's all they really care about. I am currently not qualified to move up into my bosses position until I have a bachelors degree, and that sucks being limited by schooling when I know I am capable of doing his job.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

College on a baseball scholorship. Loved playing baseball, but looking back, wish I would have learned a trade and became an electrician or plumber. I got my BA in Psychology.

Last edited by Rise of the Phoenix; 01-23-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I took 6 months off after hs to work and then went to a community college. I lived with my parents and didn't have to pay rent until after I graduated. I have a decent job but it's not related at all to my degree. By not having to pay rent I managed to pay my own way through college without any student loans. This was 14 years ago and classes were only $95 a credit hour.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

After high school I immediately went to work and, after a year at a dead-end job, was able to secure an entry level position for a large Pharma corporation. This turned into a good career for a period of a decade, including various promotions and increasing responsibilities. Income was excellent and, without any student loans to worry about, I was able to build quite the nest egg in a short period of time very early in my life, further enhanced by responsible investments. This solid financial base has allowed me several freedoms in life that I may not have enjoyed so early on otherwise. Leaving this field was my choice (one of those freedoms), as I did not enjoy the work although I was quite good at it, but my annual salary met or exceeded that of several similar-aged friends that had higher education.

I don't regret the decision at all, and would not choose to immediately go to college if I were able to do it again. I was in no position to consider additional schooling at the time I graduated high school; my situation required full time employment to be manageable and my mindset was not on education so it would have been a waste to force myself into such. Again, I have no regrets personally but, your situation may be different and therefore better suited for a different path.

On average, you will earn greater income over the course of your life should you attain a degree. If you take on large student loans then it may be difficult to reach a comfortable place financially for quite some time, so be sure that your chosen field will offer a starting salary that allows you to survive while paying off your debt.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I went to college for Graphic Design. Worked in that field for 13+ years for a major sports licensed apparel company. Left there on less than good terms. Now six years later I'm a Maintenance Journeyman at a glass container factory. I would have never seen the income I bring in now had I stayed in the art field. However, I still freelance automotive artwork on the side & have done so for 20 years.

The experience with losing my first full-time job turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Results on typical. Your results may vary.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I went straight to a university for Electrical Engineering. You have to do whatever makes you happy. I think that the living away from home is a great part of the experience, and helps you get ready for the real world/taking care of yourself.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not have the finances to go to college. I worked at a parts store until I got a job as a parts delivery driver at a auto dealership. 25 years later I am the Fixed Operations Director (fancy name for Service and Parts Director) of the largest dealership in East/Central Illinois.
I can thank my grandfather for showing me everything I needed to know about cars at a very young age. I took that knowledge and turned it into a career.
Doing that in this day and age is probably going to be a little harder but I can say the only people we hire that have any kind of college or trade school training are technicians. Service advisors are usually employees that worked their way up from the ranks starting out as a porter or in the detail department. Some of my advisors pull down $90K a year.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a mechanical engineering degree and it was completely worth the costs.

If you want something automotive based, look at Ferris State University.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Teching In

I have 2 semesters to go for my B.S. in mechanical engineering. Did 2 years at a community college and finishing up at a small and (relatively) well known school known for engineering.

I'll come out with a reasonable amount of debt, but I think you're wise in doing what you can to avoid it completely. I just finished Dave Ramsey's book on financial stuff and I think he'd agree, haha.

Advice? Take the ACT as many times as you can. Study hard for it.. Every couple of points might bump your scholarship up.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Military. I didn't have the money for college and not a lot of options. Joined the Army Reserve as a helicopter mechanic (actually joined when I was still in High School). After being a mechanic a couple years, I convinced the leadership to send me to pilot training. After becoming a pilot, I used the GI Bill and my Army Reserve income (along with a couple part-time jobs) to go back to school to get my Bachelor of Science. After getting my degree I transferred to the Air Force and became a jet pilot. I retired after 22 years and now fly corporate jets.

My point is the military is one of the few institutions left that if you work hard and show initiative you can pretty much open the door to your own opportunities.

At the very least, you'll walk away with great training (for free) and a very positive point on your resume (with an Honorable Discharge).
Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with JJkJ, join the military then you can go to school for free while you are active duty using your TA or tuition assistance then when you get out you can use your GI Bill and go to college while still getting paid by the military. Aint nobody got time for paying for school.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After High school I work construction for a while. Went to college and dropped out. Knocked around from go no where job to go no where job for several years. Enlisted in the Coast Guard, I figured 4 years service or 4 years college. I didn't have money for college soooo. Ended up spending 24 years in the Coast Guard and retiring. Still kind of wish I had a degree but I just wasn't student material.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After High school I work construction for a while. Went to college and dropped out. Knocked around from go no where job to go no where job for several years. Enlisted in the Coast Guard, I figured 4 years service or 4 years college. I didn't have money for college soooo. Ended up spending 24 years in the Coast Guard and retiring. Still kind of wish I had a degree but I just wasn't student material.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bounced around from crap job to crap job before getting on with a union electrical contractor. I love it. Im only in my first year of my apprenticeship out of 5 but I'm already making pretty decent money.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Going for farm management at Purdue, almost done. After that going home to help run the family farm
Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

I went to 2 different private universities for 3 years total playing on a volleyball scholarship...after transferring twice and changing my major 3 times I went from pre-med to education and now I am graduating this spring from College of Lake County in Illinois(community college) with 2 associates degrees in automotive technology and while taking classes there I work part time at Midas. I also recently took and passed all ASE tests required to be a certified master technician.

I would recommend going to a community college first. It is affordable and you can get at least all your required gen-eds out of the way and take a bunch of different classes to see what you like. I regret not doing it this way. I had fun playing volleyball and stuff but after 6 years in college you start to wonder wtf am I doing haha. Expose yourself to as many different types of classes or fields of employment that you can. See what you really love and the choice will be easy.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go into a program concentrating in Medical CIS. Make 6 figs pretty easily after a few years of experience and there is tons of need.

Quick Reply: What did you guys do after high school?