Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

LT1 rebuild shop in Chicagoland area?

Old 04-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 rebuild shop in Chicagoland area?

Noticed some metal shavings in the oil during the last oil change. 130k miles on the engine, but the car is otherwise in good shape. I'm thinking it's time for an engine rebuild, but I'm not sure what all needs to be replaced at this point. I'd rather just take it to a good shop and pay them to fix her up.

Are there any shops in the area that someone could recommend? I've heard Straightline Performance and Speec Inc. are sponsors, but does anyone know if they do that kind of work? I'm in the Chicago suburbs so anywhere in a 100 mi. radius around Chicago would work!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Last time I emailed Speed Inc about doing LT1 motor work they said they no longer do it. Sounds like they are an all LS shop. You can give it a try though they might think you are talking about the new vette

Originally Posted by PsychoticX
Noticed some metal shavings in the oil during the last oil change. 130k miles on the engine, but the car is otherwise in good shape. I'm thinking it's time for an engine rebuild, but I'm not sure what all needs to be replaced at this point. I'd rather just take it to a good shop and pay them to fix her up.

Are there any shops in the area that someone could recommend? I've heard Straightline Performance and Speec Inc. are sponsors, but does anyone know if they do that kind of work? I'm in the Chicago suburbs so anywhere in a 100 mi. radius around Chicago would work!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 AM
Teching In

No dice, they are LS1-only now. Tried straight line performance same deal. Looks like there's no love for the LT1 around here.

Speed inc. mentioned they could do an LS1 swap, if I provide the engine along with $4000 for labor. For that cost I might as well start looking for a newer car...
Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are definitely a dying breed.

For a machine shop, I would try AES in Elk Grove Village. Otherwise, for a crate short or long block, Ellwein Engines, Victory Racing Engines, or even Golen come to mind.

Sounds like you need someone to wrench on the car as well, which could be difficult to find. I would try Deans Performance in St. Charles as well. Deans is primarily a Mustang shop, but worth contacting them to see if they would be interested.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed Inc had to stop building LT1s, they lost their picture book that showed were all the parts went.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Is an engine rebuild something the DIY at home mechanic could tackle? even if it takes me a few months, I'd see this car live. 130k miles seems like too short of a life for Camaro. I know my way around the engine bay, but I've never done internal engine work before though, only bolt-ons, etc. I saw a few threads about removing the engine from the bottom to do an overhaul and it seems like something I could do. if I got the engine out and some replacement parts do you think its even possible to get it machined and rebuilt or should I just give up? the car is in great shape otherwise I just finished rebuilding the suspension with Koni STR Ts, has GMMG chambered exhaust. Love this ride.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joeZ96
We are definitely a dying breed.

For a machine shop, I would try AES in Elk Grove Village. Otherwise, for a crate short or long block, Ellwein Engines, Victory Racing Engines, or even Golen come to mind.
Far too many horror stories about AES to ever recommend them.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Apex Auto Machine
224 Evergreen Ave
Bensenville, IL 60106
(630) 766-7168 Bill

good guy he might be able to help you out
Old 04-20-2015, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

For the cost I think you'd be better off getting a junkyard 5.3, pcm and harness honestly. At least that way you'd have support for the platform. Just food for thought.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xtrkestrel
Far too many horror stories about AES to ever recommend them.
No personal experience. I've gotten a few nitrous refills from them and it looked like they still do quite a bit with the LT1. So do you have any recommendations then?

Originally Posted by willizm
For the cost I think you'd be better off getting a junkyard 5.3, pcm and harness honestly. At least that way you'd have support for the platform. Just food for thought.
Alas, in the end, I would have to agree.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Teching In

I got OP's e-mail, thought I'd pop in and respond to everyone.

We're at the point in the season when we're having to cut off domestic V8 work. We're tripping over the 4 and 6 cylinder import stuff, I'd have to use a SBC as a table to move around. We've got several big blocks we're working on that just take up way to much space.

I mentioned these places to OP in my e-mailed response, but I thought I'd recommend them to everyone: Both Opel Engineering and PER Race Engines have pretty good reputations. There's another place that I don't know much about, I know they took delivery of a big Rottler F69 recently. Located in St. Charles, called Auto Machine.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Teching In

I think Straightline Performance uses per race engines
Old 05-08-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trc power
I think Straightline Performance uses per race engines
That is correct, give Randy a call over at PER I'm sure he'll get it done.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default $175

$175 ...I have and LS k member for the 5.3 swap....super nice has steering rack all the way to spindles and caliper...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 rebuild shop in Chicagoland area?