Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Moving to Omaha

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Moving to Omaha

Alrighty, so I verbally accepted a job offer in the Council Bluffs area, but planning to move into the Omaha area since it seems like there is a little more for a 20 something like myself to do. I have a few questions and obviously any advice is welcome.

1. No emissions regulations? Seriously? Like that is real life?
2. I was thinking around $8-900/month for a 1 bedroom in downtownish, is that doable or do I need to up my budget?
3. Is that doable for a place with a garage (parking garage or regular garage is ok)
4. Any areas to avoid?
5. Do people partay in Omaha, if so what are the good bar areas?
6. How is the commute from Omaha into CB?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

And...Signed my official offer. So I'll have no LS1tech neighbors?
Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I found a cool loft in a reclaimed building, Council Bluffs though...Looking like I may live on the Iowa side after all.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in CB, and yes there are no emission tests at all here. I've driven around with open exhaust with slicks and skinny's and haven't had a problem. There is a drag strip about 20 south of town if your into that as well.

Depending on where you work in Omaha living in CB can be cheaper and is only a few minutes from Downtown Omaha. CB is a decent place to live but some areas are a little rough, not really with crime just a little run down. So just check out the place before you commit.

Can't really hep you with the party scene as I'm not out much anymore, but downtown Omaha has many bars where the younger crowds hang.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97pontta
I live in CB, and yes there are no emission tests at all here. I've driven around with open exhaust with slicks and skinny's and haven't had a problem. There is a drag strip about 20 south of town if your into that as well.

Depending on where you work in Omaha living in CB can be cheaper and is only a few minutes from Downtown Omaha. CB is a decent place to live but some areas are a little rough, not really with crime just a little run down. So just check out the place before you commit.

Can't really hep you with the party scene as I'm not out much anymore, but downtown Omaha has many bars where the younger crowds hang.
Fair points, work will be down by lake manawa on the Iowa side actually, from what I've read either way I pay the more expensive taxes so there isn't a strong incentive to live on either side based on that. I have a cousin checking out some lofts that are on top of the chamber of commerce on W. Broadway (if you have any input on that area).

Living in Downtown Omaha seems like the way to go, but getting packing for 2 cars in a garage is proving to be challenging not to mention even getting a hold of these leasing offices. I thought SD was supposed to be challenging to rent a place
Old 08-07-2015, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

I have not been in the lofts above the Chamber but I can say they they are not very old. That whole part of town has been renovated in the last few years and they are currently building more new lofts right next door. That whole area is pretty nice. Also, that area is the best place to be as far as CB goes for the party scene. There are about 5-6 bars within a block of those lofts on the "100 Block" as it's called.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not been in the lofts above the Chamber but I can say they they are not very old. That whole part of town has been renovated in the last few years and they are currently building more new lofts right next door. That whole area is pretty nice. Also, that area is the best place to be as far as CB goes for the party scene. There are about 5-6 bars within a block of those lofts on the "100 Block" as it's called.
That's good to hear, I'm leaning towards that area since it will be close to work and there are at least a few bars within walking distance. Plus I can get 2 parking spots in a heated garage. I sure am going to miss my southern california mexican food...
Old 08-12-2015, 06:20 AM
TECH Regular

Also if you already haven't thought about it you may want to look into a winter car if your Z28 is your only ride. The winters here can be harsh as times and you won't be going anywhere with that car when we have snow on the ground.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also if you already haven't thought about it you may want to look into a winter car if your Z28 is your only ride. The winters here can be harsh as times and you won't be going anywhere with that car when we have snow on the ground.
The z28 probably won't even come out in the rain. I've got a baby Mercedes CLA which is FWD so that'll probably be fine to go to and from work. Although I am seriously considering jumping to either a c-class for AWD or a pickup truck/jeep....
Old 11-21-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I've been here for about 3 months now, and I decided I'm going to start looking for a house around January or February. I honestly didn't realize how cheap they are out here so I've got that going for me. My main criteria: 3 car garage that I can fit a 2 post lift in
Old 07-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but how are folks liking the Omaha area? Wife and I are giving it a hard look. We are needing to get out of West Texas, burned out with the oil field and ugly *** desert here. Started applying to jobs there in the transportation industry, waiting to see what kind of feedback I get before getting more serious...
Old 12-21-2016, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Bump!

Anyone else here? Moved here in October, there's got to be some car folks in Omaha.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

The car scene in Omaha is huge. Thats where 1320 video is from. I've been out to visit a couple times and had a lot of fun. Can't really help you on where they meet up though. Ask around.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Launching!

I live in Council Bluffs myself, i have a 2000 Firehawk Known as "The Blackhawk"
Old 03-11-2017, 01:49 AM
Teching In

I live in Omaha I don't have a cool car yet.... haha the places would be cheaper if you weren't looking in the downtown area I know you said you already got a place or whatever but look around for Facebook groups from the area and there's a lot of car meets and stuff you kind find off of those

Quick Reply: Moving to Omaha