Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Tuner recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner recommendations

Hi, new guy here.

I have a ZL1 that has some mods and was tuned by FLP. After noticing some issues and reading some negative reviews I decided to have the car retuned. After looking through Camaro5 I decided to try Jannetty Racing. He worked with my mechanic to tune the car remotely. Car seems to drive fine, but after reading threads here (recommended by someone from a local forum) I'm now really worried about what is in my car now. I've spent a ton of $$ on 2 tunes now.

Would like to hear some recommendations on options. I live in the northwest 'burbs of Chicago. I'm willing to look into someone in driving distance.

Ugh.....
Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr Phil
Old 09-24-2015, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would've just gone back to FLP and described your concerns, giving them a chance to improve it if there were issues - especially since you had already paid them. I've had very good experiences there myself.

In any event it sounds like the car is driving well now so I'm not sure of the need for a 3rd tuner. If you just want to know what was changed, why not contact the most recent tuner and ask him this question?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:11 PM

After I had the tune by FLP done I noticed a few small things. Having read some complaints on another forum I decided to have Jannetty look at. On Camaro5 he can do no wrong. He looked at the tune and wrote up a list that basically said the tune was a hidden disaster so I went with him. Then I was pointed here by another forum member and saw hundreds of posts on multiple threads about issues with him (some of those posts are hardcore). I had an engine grenade in my last car and was told it looked the tune had it running too lean so I'm a little paranoid. Believe me spending $$ on more than one tune is annoying but it's a lot less annoying than what a bad tune could do. I can accept the costs if a mechanical failure happens, but I'll be more then upset if a bad tune does something in.

Just want someone who is qualified and has more good than bad reviews to at least look and see if the tune I have is decent.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

Do you have a wideband in the car? If AFR is not bad I would not be to super worried about it. What's the problems your having with the car?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Revo1059
Hi, new guy here.

I have a ZL1 that has some mods and was tuned by FLP. After noticing some issues and reading some negative reviews I decided to have the car retuned. After looking through Camaro5 I decided to try Jannetty Racing. He worked with my mechanic to tune the car remotely. Car seems to drive fine, but after reading threads here (recommended by someone from a local forum) I'm now really worried about what is in my car now. I've spent a ton of $$ on 2 tunes now.

Would like to hear some recommendations on options. I live in the northwest 'burbs of Chicago. I'm willing to look into someone in driving distance.

Ugh.....
We have build quite a few ZL1's.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ZL1-Tuner.html
We can offer you a remote tune that is just about dead on as long as it is a clone to one of our packages.
If it is a little different the good news is your not on the other end of the country so you could always bring it in for a custom dyno tune.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Is Speed Inc still in business? They were mentioned in GMHTP once and I think they're from Chicago.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Should of went to Straightline in Joliet, I believe they are the best in Chicagoland.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Is Speed Inc still in business? They were mentioned in GMHTP once and I think they're from Chicago.
Most definitely, and an excellent recommendation.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Ion the Madtuner a call, he's in Elgin.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Speed inc you are very close to them too.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recommend Straightline out of Joliet area. I've had nothing but good luck with those guys. I will say that the best thing you can do yourself is to understand the tuning process to an extent. I've taken on a good deal of tuning and logging myself but when working with a tuner it's best to educate yourself on it as well so you can speak to the issues you may or may not be experiencing.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Most definitely, and an excellent recommendation.
I'm from the North Lake County area. I would definitely recommend Speed Inc. They are the only place I would take my car to.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'm using Tim Williams for my 5th gen. He's local in Bartlett.

Quick Reply: Tuner recommendations