Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

review of Boyce body werks IL (long rant)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down review of Boyce body werks IL (long rant)

so awhile ago a car backed into me and pushed the rear tail light assembly in and bent the whole panel in. i took my car to boyce body werks after it was recommended by my insurance agent and a friend of ours. however i called and they said my car was done and would be at the naperville location, after waiting for over an hour and a half my car showed up, i was surprised to see a porter driving it. he had apparently ran out of gas and that is why it took so long, i also was not pleased about the porter driving it because he obviously worked in the shop due to the bondo dust or dirt on his shirt in pants which had gotten on my seat and floor mat. upon inspecting it there were several chips, scratches, and tool marks in the bumper. i also asked the manager before dropping the car off if the ceta would be done, and he told me it would leave the shop looking like it did before the accident. the ceta was not done, instead there was a black "pin stripe" in the groove of the bumper. the manager said to leave the car and it would be fixed tomorrow.

Last edited by NeedaV8foundation; 07-05-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: i am editing to stop causing drama and give a simple review
Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

wow! that is terrible, i would have reamed them for driving it, i dont know what the distance is but your insurance isnt paying them to drive around like yahoos. (obviously i understand your outrage)

i hoe everything comes out good with it.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Launching!

heres the weird thing man my last name is Boyce hahaha but rip them a new ***!!!! im all the way in indiana just didnt want someone talking **** bout my name but good thing i live so far from them. Dude get them to fix your car right

-Traz
Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

You were probably better off having them drive it. Could have fucked something up putting on a trailer or flatbed.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
You were probably better off having them drive it. Could have fucked something up putting on a trailer or flatbed.
yea but you would think a bodyshop owner would notice that the car was on "e" before they took it for a cruise. when the fuel light comes on you still have atleast a gallon left, which should be like 20 miles atleast.
and if the car wasn't on empty when the car was dropped off there then why did they have to run out the gas to fix a body panel and tail light? i would be furious also.i would file reports with like the BBB.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Default *update*

so i get a call today around 1:30 from my insurance company saying they got a call from the body shop saying that we rejected the car. when i explained that there were still chips in the bumper and the ceta wasnt done, the agent understood why we rejected the car and said he was confused prior because the guy from the body shop had said we rejected the car because "we got in an oral dispute about the car" i have yet to get a call from them saying when its going to be done. hopefully i will get the car back later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

dude tht guy at that shop seems like a total p.o.s
Old 06-15-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

so i got the car back finally, took forever. i got it back wensday (6-11) it was at boyce body werks for almost 3 weeks. they did the ceta mod and fixed the stuff i asked them to, overall i am impressed with the work, however due to the issues that occurred before i wont be using them again. here are some pictures... enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails review of Boyce body werks IL (long rant)-iphone-new-001.jpg   review of Boyce body werks IL (long rant)-iphone-new-002.jpg   review of Boyce body werks IL (long rant)-iphone-new-003.jpg  
Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow that sucks. Body shops seem to suck now.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

I would have been hard pressed to let them keep the car. I mean, if they were tearing *** in it prior to you refusing the car, I wonder how bad they were to it after. Kinda like sending back a meal at certian resturaunts. Body work good or not, thats just not the way to do business. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey us body men arent that dirty, on a side note i had to redo a car from that shop it wasnt pretty, lets just say a bumper was being held up with vise grips
anyone needs work done i work at fullers auto body in lyons, we use ppg , and we take our time and give the quality
Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

yea, if i saw some body shop worker or mechanic come ripping around a corner or spinning my tires at all i'd ask for my keys and leave . that type of place is not about to hold onto my car. glad everything worked out in the end.
i had a problem with the dealership working on my car and refuse to ever go back. the guys didn't roll up my driverside window all the way before washing it. then they drove the car out to the lot and parked it and didn't notice my door panel soaking wet i told one of the managers on duty and asked for a towel to dry it. then the manager and one of the car wash guys proceeded to watch me dry my car. after that me and the manager almost got into it. he somehow tried to say that it was my fault it happened. sorry bout' the rant
Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

i work at a body shop and we have never driven a customers car without their permission... that car should have been flatbeded to the other shop no doubt about it.. and i have seen acouple cars from that shop also and they arent pretty.. and at this time of the year where most body shops are dead they should have taken the time and care to have it done right the first time..
Old 06-21-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it's just the pics but the masking line in the top left hand corner of the CETA mod looks a little funny, kinda looks like it doesn't "curve" with the bodyline. I nit pick pretty bad whenever I get any bodywork done, if it really is like that I'd make them fix it.

I feel your pain though man, my 3 month old daily that I bought new got rear ended and needed a new bumper about a year ago. The Lexus dealer I took it to that had an in house bodyshop(this place was recomended to me) couldn't match the paint color(dark blue pearl) and kept getting **** in the paint, after two tries they couldn't get it right so I ended up taking it to another shop that does custom/restoration work. They ended up getting a perfect match and the quality of the work was some of the best I've seen, my insurance company(other driver had no insurance) delt with all the BS of having another shop fix it. No damn way was I going to have a three month old car with a bumper that looked like it was painted in Tijuana for $50, that was total BS.

Last edited by 4150; 06-22-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 PM

Mr. NeedaV8Foundation(RM)

There are two sides to every story and as one of the owners of Boyce Body Werks; I find it imperative to respond to your issues.

First, we are an honest, ethical, quality collision repair shop. We have been in business 23 years and to the best of my knowledge this is the first negative comment posted on the internet. For the past 15 years we have used an independent 3rd party to survey our customers and our CSI rating has been consistently one of the highest in the country, over 99% for last year. Boyce Body Werks is independently owned by my husband and myself and we take all comments very seriously and personally.

Upon reading your post I immediately talked to both of my managers you were dealing with as well as the technicians who worked on your car and the porter who was driving it.

To address your issues and concerns:
1.Time of Repairs
We have your signed authorization dated 5/27.(time of drop off) At that time we estimated a 2 week repair process. Your insurance company wrote for us to use a remanufactured bumper cover. (This is an OEM bumper cover from a 98 Firebird that has been repaired by a third party) Upon receiving that part and not being satisfied with the quality, we rejected it. We made a request to your insurance company to order a new OEM bumper cover, but they told us to order another remanufactured. We received that on 6/4. That too was junk. We took pictures and relayed this information to Farmers again. At this point they did ok a new OEM bumper cover. (Something they don’t often do for a 10year old car) The new bumper cover came in on 6/6. I have all receipts documenting these facts. On 6/3 at 12:40 we have recorded we told you your car would be completed 6/13, a few days after original promised time, due to the bumper cover situation. Taking “forever” for repairs is relative. Some repairs take 2 days; others take 4-6 weeks or longer. You did ultimately receive your car for the final time on 6/11, which by our records is 2 weeks and 1 day, 2 days earlier than promised.

2.Transportation
(and to others who expressed concerns about not flatbedding) We transport cars everyday, often very expensive cars. If we do transport between shops or dealers the customers are always informed. No insurance company is going to pay to have a drivable car flat bedded 8 miles. We informed you and your parents the car was going to be repaired at our Batavia shop up front.

We value our employees and I was upset with your comment of our porter being a “dirty *** body guy” He is a college student and good employee, who has a perfect driving record (our insurance company thoroughly checks all our porters records) He might not look up to your standards, but he’s a good kid. Being there was certainly communication between him and our managers about the gas situation, he was well informed you and your dad were at the Naperville shop waiting. He said he pulled in with the car in Neutral. I trust our employees and we constantly stress the importance of respecting our customer’s cars. We have never had a problem, and like I said they often transport customer’s cars worth 80-100K. Since he knew you and you dad were there I truly believe him when he said he was driving appropriately.
The reason he ran out of gas, is that there were many dash lights on (from the time the car came in). There was no specific ‘gas light” The check gauge light was on, but it was on when the car came in.

3.Quality of Repairs
The few minor “scratches” on your new bumper were buffing swirls fixed in seconds. Regarding the ceta mod, that wasn’t originally done. We were NOT being paid by the insurance company to do that, and in a phone conversation with our manager and your mother, during the course of repairs, she told us NOT do the aftermarket stuff. Since your parents where paying the deductible, and they were the insured we followed her original instructions.

Your car is 10 years old, and we did do a number of things for no charge, including buffing the rear (which insurance won’t pay for) and making your old tail light match your new one.

In summary, I honestly believe we repaired your vehicle to better than pre accident condition, in a timely manor. My husband, myself and our employees have worked very hard to build a good reputation for our business.

Marcia Boyce
Owner, Boyce Body Werks, Inc

Ps-bdyman. I sincerely doubt the shop you work at in Lyons ever did a re-repair for any vehicle we repaired. Our customers are generally out in the far western burbs, no where near that vicinity. There is another shop with a similar name that does not have a reputation for quality. If you post the make, model and when it was re-paired I would be happy to verify it was not our job. We actually are often called by insurance companies to re-repair other shops work.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mboyce

2.Transportation
(and to others who expressed concerns about not flatbedding) We transport cars everyday, often very expensive cars. If we do transport between shops or dealers the customers are always informed. No insurance company is going to pay to have a drivable car flat bedded 8 miles. We informed you and your parents the car was going to be repaired at our Batavia shop up front.

We value our employees and I was upset with your comment of our porter being a “dirty *** body guy” He is a college student and good employee, who has a perfect driving record (our insurance company thoroughly checks all our porters records) He might not look up to your standards, but he’s a good kid. Being there was certainly communication between him and our managers about the gas situation, he was well informed you and your dad were at the Naperville shop waiting. He said he pulled in with the car in Neutral. I trust our employees and we constantly stress the importance of respecting our customer’s cars. We have never had a problem, and like I said they often transport customer’s cars worth 80-100K. Since he knew you and you dad were there I truly believe him when he said he was driving appropriately.
The reason he ran out of gas, is that there were many dash lights on (from the time the car came in). There was no specific ‘gas light” The check gauge light was on, but it was on when the car came in.
so does this mean that if the car was overheating the driver of the car wouldn't of noticed it because there is no light that says "engine is getting hot" my car is a daily driver and still every time i get into it i check how much gas i have. i don't wait for a light to come on.if you ask me, because the light waqs on to begin with, that would make me check the gauges every time just to make sure everything was normal.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AMitc31100
so does this mean that if the car was overheating the driver of the car wouldn't of noticed it because there is no light that says "engine is getting hot" my car is a daily driver and still every time i get into it i check how much gas i have. i don't wait for a light to come on.if you ask me, because the light waqs on to begin with, that would make me check the gauges every time just to make sure everything was normal.
Agreed, he can't read a gas gauge and is working on your car. Ouch.

As for the employee comment, he might be a wonderful worker but we love our cars and take great care of them and the last thing we want is someone that has dirty clothes with paint on them to get in our cars and ruin the interiors.

When I worked in customer service and was a manager we had a simple rule. Never argue with a customer, no matter who's right you will lose. You always end up looking bad and that person will then go to that much more extreme to tell people how unhappy he was with your place of buisness.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by AMitc31100
fact is we transported the car less than 25 miles both ways. Please give us a little credit, as professionals we would not drive a car overheating. My porter thought it was enough above empty to not be a problem. I've had cars where I can run 100 miles under 1/4 and others where I can go 10. He guessed wrong. Ironically, I would have to guess we transport 20-30 cars every week for the last 20++ years. This is THE first time anyone has ever run out of gas.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Maybe his foot was a little heavy... All I can say, being a porter at one time, is that his foot was probably heavier than it should have been... Stop, put a gallon or two in it, and that problem would have been solved.

But I guess we aren't paying porters to think.

Reputation or not, nobody is perfect. I believe the owner of the car should be taken a little more seriously than your employee. Both of whom probably have a little different idea of how to drive someone elses car....

The Ceta mod, if it WAS on the car when it was hit, should be back on the car when he got it back. If I got my WS6 back with a stock TA hood, I would be pissed off, and make the insurance company, and body shop fix it. Period. If I had aftermarket rims that were destroyed, I would make the insurance company replace them, and not settle for stock....

Just because you have been doing this for 20+ years doesnt mean something couldnt have happened, and there isnt room for improvement.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

I once had an exhaust shop weld up my collectors that attach to the headers. I came to get the car and the porter pulls it out of the bay and cranks the wheel and freakin floors it right up to where I'm standing. I almost punched him. The manager berated him for it in front of me but I don't think he gave a ****.
Boyce, I feel for ya. I owned a shop and the crap never stopped rollin. If it's not an idiot employee it's an out of control customer you can't make happy. Good luck

Quick Reply: review of Boyce body werks IL (long rant)