Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

What are we feeding our basketball players?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 08:21 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default What are we feeding our basketball players?

Did anyone catch the Pacers/Pistons game or read what happened? Does money make people act stupid or what? I think Ron Artest really should be given the time off he wants to work on his upcoming rap album.....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._pistons_brawl
Old 11-20-2004, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate pro sports. 95% of those "exceeds PG-13" couldn't work at McDonalds, due to lack of intelligence. I hate all of them.

Last edited by Windy City; 11-23-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:23 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by black_z
I hate pro sports. 95% of those ******* couldn't work at McDonalds, due to lack of intelligence. I hate all of them.
Well pro sports helps to pay the bills since I work in the licensed sports apparel industry. I can't really say that I hate it. I do disagree with most of the antics that have to do with the players. The incident at the Pacers/Pistions game was kind of fan-flamed. I don't think it would have been nearly as violent had the fans not gotten involved.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:22 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I blame the fans for most of that. What happens between players is one thing, but throwing drinks at players? Then every "exceeds PG-13" in the place getting involved. I was watching, and there was ushers throwing drinks at the players when they were wlking out. Living in Chicago, we have had our share of sport fan mishaps, but to people from other places it gives the impression that the whole city is like that. Although, it was Detroit......Hmmm......

Last edited by Windy City; 11-23-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, and Detroit is a total Hellhole.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:39 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by Velocity
Yeah, and Detroit is a total Hellhole.
I wasn't going to go there........ I was trying to skirt the issue so to speak.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I wasn't going to go there........ I was trying to skirt the issue so to speak.
Well, it isn't a Hellhole any more than any other major city in this country.

And nevermind the fact that the Pistons play in Auburn Hills, about 40 minutes north of the city in north Oakland County - which depending on which study you look at, is either the 2nd or 4th wealthiest county in the nation.

It's all a hellhole, there are no nice areas, and everyone who lives in Detroit and its surrounding areas is a broke-*** ghetto thug criminal...

Last edited by Velocity; 11-21-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fo shizzle it definetely a hell hole up here, what with it being the muscle car capital of the universe, i hate it every summer with all the loud cars, and that damn Woodward dream cruise, who wants thousands of cars and a million plus people hanging around all day. I'd much rather be in LA/Chicago/Atlanta/St. Louis/Norfolk. Those large urban cities are much nicer than Detroit..................

Sarcasm?

But seriously it's funny how it's always. whoa....DETROIT? DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Old 11-22-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me also add that this brawl erupted in the first few rows of seats. This means the people involved in it were likely the more "sophisticated" and "wealthy" people in the stands. I don't know of too many broke-*** thugs who can afford courtside tickets to watch the NBA Champions play... do you?

These were normal people, in the expensive seats, in a wealthy suburb of a major metropolitan city. This could have happened anywhere. I guarantee that if Ron Artest would have attacked fans in Atlanta, Philly, Chicago, or NY... the fans response there would have been the same.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:08 PM
'Bird Director

Let me also add that this brawl erupted in the first few rows of seats. This means the people involved in it were likely the more "sophisticated" and "wealthy" people in the stands. I don't know of too many broke-*** thugs who can afford courtside tickets to watch the NBA Champions play... do you?

These were normal people, in the expensive seats, in a wealthy suburb of a major metropolitan city. This could have happened anywhere. I guarantee that if Ron Artest would have attacked fans in Atlanta, Philly, Chicago, or NY... the fans response there would have been the same.
But would the fans of other cities stoop to the level of throwing cups of beer? That's what set him off.....
Old 11-22-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

that was pretty ghetto of the players if you ask me
Old 11-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Teching In

I hate pro sports. 95% of those "Exceeds PG-13" couldn't work at McDonalds, due to lack of intelligence. I hate all of them.
Do you really hate them or are you just sick with jealousy?

Last edited by Windy City; 11-23-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

I really dont like them. Most of the guys take the card they were dealt in life for granted, look at all the trouble that pro athletes get in THAT WE HEAR ABOUT. I know If I was a public figure making 7-8 figures per year I would sure as hell keep my nose clean. I also hate how players like Latrell Spreewell hold out on their contract where they are already making plenty of money. Dont get me started on touchdown celebrations, guys retiring so they can smoke weed, and guys wanting time off so they can promote their pile of **** rap record.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:08 PM
'Bird Director

I really dont like them. Most of the guys take the card they were dealt in life for granted, look at all the trouble that pro athletes get in THAT WE HEAR ABOUT. I know If I was a public figure making 7-8 figures per year I would sure as hell keep my nose clean. I also hate how players like Latrell Spreewell hold out on their contract where they are already making plenty of money. Dont get me started on touchdown celebrations, guys retiring so they can smoke weed, and guys wanting time off so they can promote their pile of **** rap record.
Don't forget writing a book and/or acting.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

But would the fans of other cities stoop to the level of throwing cups of beer? That's what set him off.....
Are you f-ing kidding me?????

it was ONE cup of beer that set him off. One. If you are honestly going to tell me that you have never seen another sporting event where another fan in a different city threw a beer onto the playing field, then you have been living under a rock. Fans do stupid **** everywhere. Not just suburban Detroit.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whatever

I'm done fighting over this. You people who have not grown up here, never lived here, never spent time here will continue to believe whatever convenient misconception you want and continue to keep Detroit as your scapegoat whipping boy no matter what the reality of the situation is.

I run into it everywhere -- and as near as Grand Rapids/West Michigan where I went to college. I never would have thought that my close friends from college would actually start to blow me off when I moved back home because they are either too good or too afraid to come visit me. I get the same thing every time I tell them to stop by... "you mean come to Detroit????" No, I mean come to visit your "friend" in Oakland County where there are lakes and hills everywhere, lots of stuff to do at night, Royal Oak, Woodward, Birmingham, etc...

...but they don't get it. Neither do you. Everyone is going to continue to believe their convenient misconceptions no matter what we do right.

Boston had ugly crowds at the Ryder Cup. They had a girl die in a riot after the Red Sox won the World Series. Detroit has won 4 major sports championships in the last 7 years ALL without incident. We hosted the Ryder Cup this past summer to rave reviews. In the next two years, we will host the Super Bowl and the MLB All-Star game to rave reviews as well. Now, because of ONE IDIOT FAN (and I remind you that there are stupid fans everywhere) our city wears a black eye again, and we're immediately back to the thug-infested trash hole we were in the 70s and 80s.

Last edited by Velocity; 11-23-2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:08 PM
'Bird Director

Whatever

I'm done fighting over this. You people who have not grown up here, never lived here, never spent time here will continue to believe whatever convenient misconception you want and continue to keep Detroit as your scapegoat whipping boy no matter what the reality of the situation is.

I run into it everywhere -- and as near as Grand Rapids/West Michigan where I went to college. I never would have thought that my close friends from college would actually start to blow me off when I moved back home because they are either too good or too afraid to come visit me. I get the same thing every time I tell them to stop by... "you mean come to Detroit????" No, I mean come to visit your "friend" in Oakland County where there are lakes and hills everywhere, lots of stuff to do at night, Royal Oak, Woodward, Birmingham, etc...

...but they don't get it. Neither do you. Everyone is going to continue to believe their convenient misconceptions no matter what we do right.

Boston had ugly crowds at the Ryder Cup. They had a girl die in a riot after the Red Sox won the World Series. Detroit has won 4 major sports championships in the last 7 years ALL without incident. We hosted the Ryder Cup this past summer to rave reviews. In the next two years, we will host the Super Bowl and the MLB All-Star game to rave reviews as well. Now, because of ONE IDIOT FAN (and I remind you that there are stupid fans everywhere) our city wears a black eye again, and we're immediately back to the thug-infested trash hole we were in the 70s and 80s.

No one is fighting over this here. You're taking it all too personal. Are you bitching at me now? You're barking up the wrong tree if you are... If you read MY original post, I was commenting on the players themselves and not the city of Detroit. I even said that Ron Artest needs to take some time off. Just because that one dumb *** fan lives in Detroit doesn't mean I think the city sucks. If you think I said that, then you're putting words in my mouth. I actually have family that lives in Michigan, and my uncle retired from an automobile plant there.

And yes I can honestly say that I've never seen another sporting event where a fan has thrown a beer onto the playing field. I don't watch too many sports, so I guess I'm living under a rock.

I'm sorry this post was even started as it seems that we can't discuss this matter like adults. Administrators please lock my post or delete it.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Chicago is famous for throwing crap onto the field at Wrigley. So it's not just Detroit. I remember one summer I went to a game and sat in the bleachers. Sammy won it with a walk-off homer and then the outfield was covered in debris & trash.

Seemed like about everytime Chicago won an NBA championship people would riot.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hopefully everyone can keep this about the players and fans involved and not judge a city by a single athlete or fan. I don't want this to continue to be a "Detroit Sucks" thread.

Also, watch your language. Keep it PG-13.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No one is fighting over this here. You're taking it all too personal. Are you bitching at me now? You're barking up the wrong tree if you are... If you read MY original post, I was commenting on the players themselves and not the city of Detroit. I even said that Ron Artest needs to take some time off. Just because that one dumb *** fan lives in Detroit doesn't mean I think the city sucks. If you think I said that, then you're putting words in my mouth. I actually have family that lives in Michigan, and my uncle retired from an automobile plant there.

And yes I can honestly say that I've never seen another sporting event where a fan has thrown a beer onto the playing field. I don't watch too many sports, so I guess I'm living under a rock.

I'm sorry this post was even started as it seems that we can't discuss this matter like adults. Administrators please lock my post or delete it.
Sorry, I'm just a little touchy about this right now. Everyone seems to be pinning this on Detroit as if it's the city's fault.

Quick Reply: What are we feeding our basketball players?