Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

OBDII Emissions in IL/readiness tests

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII Emissions in IL/readiness tests

This topic has probably come up before and just in case anyone gives a sh*!-lol I just took my 01 SS for emissions testing and passed. I had the battery disconnected for a few days prior to going and was curious if I would pass since everyone says to drive the car around for a few days prior to testing.
I don't know if all cars are different but I had only driven the car 15-20 miles at most since reconnecting the battery and I had no problems passing.
I don't know if this is helpful to anyone or not but you may not need to put very many miles on the car to get all the readiness tests to reset.

now to get started on those headers...
Old 04-17-2005, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Interesting......

I know of other's that have tried what you did (heading to test right after re-connecting the battery) and were rejected for the test due to incomplete readiness. Very strange. Usually systems like the EVAP test and O2 related tests take longer than just one driving cycle.

Good info for referance......
Old 04-18-2005, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

You need to do more than just disconect the battery to reset the computer. You need to pull the ECM fuse and turn the key on for two minutes or something. Just disconnecting the battery is not enough to do anything. Great to see you passed. Why did you just get tested now? Is this your cars first test or second?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
You need to do more than just disconect the battery to reset the computer. You need to pull the ECM fuse and turn the key on for two minutes or something.
interesting, did not know that.
I just bought the car last year so first time I had to take it. it's every 2 yrs here.
I assume it was probably the first time ever for the car, I remember when we got my wife's 98 Blazer it didn't go in until 2002.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 AM
TECH Resident

I'm guessing your emissions requirements are for the county? I know for certain Jersey Co. (and probably lots of others down here) has zero emissions testing. I live in Madison now, but still have my car/truck registered to my mom and dad's address there in Jersey so I don't have to worry about emissions
Old 05-05-2005, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
I'm guessing your emissions requirements are for the county?
Covers the entire Chicago metro area which would include a few counties. I know a few years back the next county over from us, which is only a few miles away from my house, had no emissions testing but I think that may have changed.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:48 PM
wrencher

Your stock LS1 shouldn't have no problem resetting the readiness tests after a power down. It is running properly. + 96-00 they give you 2 not ready & 01 & up 1 not ready. I tell you right now it went thru w/o the evap monitor run. It takes a while to run that one somtimes. So yes it is very possible. These temps < yes temperture do help the drive cycle also.

Quick Reply: OBDII Emissions in IL/readiness tests