Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Teenager in IL Needs a JOB

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teenager in IL Needs a JOB

It's almost that time-I'm going to needa get working soon I will be 16 in July, and need the money badly for the insurance, gas, and mods along with cell phone bill and Lifetime Gym membership. What do you think guys recommend for 16 year olds. I will not work with any type of food serving places-so resturaunts and fast food are out of the question.
I was offered a Job at Pep-boys, offered on the spot but then the question about AGE came up-he was dissapppointed because he told me i seem to know more then several guys he has working there so he told me to come back when i am 17...thats my only experience so far

I've been looking all over the place-at the Mall at Finish Line, The Athlete's Foot, Footlocker, Champs Sports, mainly. I'm also looking at Best buy, Menards, Jewel, a few Car Washes etc

I need more ideas, and some opinions...so what do you guys think would be good out here!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:09 PM
NKAWTG...N

I've been working for Jewel-Osco since I was 15. Pretty decent job if you cut out all the crap, and there will be plenty of crap, because customers everywhere suck. hey treat you pretty well and you get amazing benefits, try two weeks paid vacation and birthday.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

hey man try and get a job in construction, even if its part time you will still make mad cash, thats what im doing now and depending on if im laboring or running a machine i make between 15-20 and hour. so as long as you can hold up laboring for awhile its still prolly a lot better then working minimum wage.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Hey Neal, whats up? My g/f works at Jewel she jsut got hired-and she absolutely loves it-I'm consideing the same as i stated above-What position do you have and how muhc you making? How long did it take to get that position?

Originally Posted by blindskater02
hey man try and get a job in construction, even if its part time you will still make mad cash, thats what im doing now and depending on if im laboring or running a machine i make between 15-20 and hour. so as long as you can hold up laboring for awhile its still prolly a lot better then working minimum wage.
I am looking at my cousins carpentry company i would make approx $30 per hour. Problem is he takes long drives-and gas money is a tad bit of an issue-and i wouldnt want to take my car to get to the job site-It is in consideration however

Thanks

Keep those ideas coming
Old 05-17-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Hey Neal, whats up? My g/f works at Jewel she jsut got hired-and she absolutely loves it-I'm consideing the same as i stated above-What position do you have and how muhc you making? How long did it take to get that position?

I am looking at my cousins carpentry company i would make approx $30 per hour. Problem is he takes long drives-and gas money is a tad bit of an issue-and i wouldnt want to take my car to get to the job site-It is in consideration however

Thanks

Keep those ideas coming

$30 BUCKS AN HOUR!! I dont know wat u are thinking not jumping all over that! IF not let me know I'll do it!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
$30 BUCKS AN HOUR!! I dont know wat u are thinking not jumping all over that! IF not let me know I'll do it!
-it's the labor involved-aslo the area and jobs he takes and the hours becem very inconvenient and its not consistent-i could work 4 hours a week not work for 4 weeks and then work another 2 days 3 hours of work each day-It's 30 depending on the job however when i helped him work on the deck we built at my house i got payed 15 per hour and my parents gave me 50 for the design of the deck-so yeha go figure-but see they came on days and at times that were inconvenient-Thats how i finished off paying for my car tho.

Keep the ideas rollin'
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

I work at Jewel when i was 15-18 got payed damn well (best friends with the store managers kid) i started at $7.40 and ended up with $10.10 a hour. plus if u work there for 6 mouths sunday=1.5 pay!!!

Scott
Old 05-17-2005, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

So far jewel sounds like a winner, anyone know about any of these other places? another to add to the list "Murrays Discount Auto Parts Store"
Old 05-18-2005, 01:15 AM
NKAWTG...N

I hate you all. I started at 15 so major minor and as a bag boy, made 6.35 and hour. Now I make 10 an hour, and 15 on Sundays (well not anymore since I went away to college). I make a 1+ an hour on Sundays though. Start of working there now, pay ur dues, and you will loooveee that 2 weeks PAID vacation. Its so damn sweet. And you get a paid b-day, but they dont advertise it, I went two years without taking it because I didn't know about it.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

Neal-Thanks for the info

Anybody Else What you all think? Keep the suggestions coming
Old 05-18-2005, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

what about an oil change place....you'll like the benefits
Old 05-18-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

I just got my old job back wiring emergency vehicles. I basically get to play with lights and sirens all day

Thats a pretty sweet job. I know a lot of police officers through it. Then I did the same thing here down at my college. I built all of the countys car and do work on the city cars. I know almost every officer in this town
Old 05-18-2005, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

You could try getting a job washing cars at a dealership. There are lots of good dealerships who pay well, and the hours aren't bad and you will always have Sundays off. Plus you have the benefit of using their lifts for your own car. I use the lifts for oil changes and all the mods I want to do, and they dont care if I use the lifts as long as I ask first.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlkZ28LS6
You could try getting a job washing cars at a dealership. There are lots of good dealerships who pay well, and the hours aren't bad and you will always have Sundays off. Plus you have the benefit of using their lifts for your own car. I use the lifts for oil changes and all the mods I want to do, and they dont care if I use the lifts as long as I ask first.
Porters routinely make $8.00 an hour. Whaddya know, I used to be one, now I'm selling Vettes by the dozen!

Kidding....
Old 05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baddogz28
Porters routinely make $8.00 an hour. Whaddya know, I used to be one, now I'm selling Vettes by the dozen!

Kidding....

I too used to be a porter making $8.50 an hour. Now I sell cars for the largest luxury dealer in the world and #1 Bentley dealer in the world.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by gettinthere
I too used to be a porter making $8.50 an hour. Now I sell cars for the largest luxury dealer in the world and #1 Bentley dealer in the world.
Oh yeah, i was meaning to ask if you would hook me up on my next bentley...

Oh wait...
Old 05-18-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
Oh yeah, i was meaning to ask if you would hook me up on my next bentley...

Oh wait...
How about this one? Continental GT

Let me know.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gettinthere
How about this one? Continental GT

Let me know.
I'll take 4!!!!

Ill give u $1 a day, and thats my final offer!!!!!

Scott
Old 05-18-2005, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

A salesman at my work just bought a brand new Bentley Continental GT. For $175,000 I think I'd rather buy a house.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Motorboater

i worked for jewel from 17-22. started in bakery at 5.50 an hour in 1997, did two internshps in college adn then spent a year in store management training after college before changing careers. i think i was at 18 bucks/hour when i left, but i was just a trainee still even when i left, wasn't making much at all yet obviously.

jewel is a good h.s job...its not a super stressful gig until you become managment, then it sucks. unions are gay, but what can you do. benefits as neal said are very good, even for part timers. the 1.5X pay on sundays after 6 months is nice..+1 dollar per hour on sundays right from the start. holidays are 1.5X pay,too.

at your age you won't get anything but a bagger position. maybe checker right away if they are dying for people, but typically you'd be a bagger then could go for checker and then look to get out of the front end and go for a better department once you are 18(grocery might be younger now, not sure) i was not supposed to be hired into bakery at 17 but i was cuz they were hurting, so i got lucky and avoided front end.

give it a try, just have to learn to ignore the ####### customers, cuz holy crap there will be SO many.

Quick Reply: Teenager in IL Needs a JOB