Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Question For IL Cops!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question For IL Cops!!!

What is the fine for having tinted windows on the front windows? is it the same in the entire state or does it vary from town to town??

The reason why i asked is because i had a cop come to my door tonight and tell me that effective as of tonight if im caught driving my cars that have tint on the side windows and there not registered to my father (he has skin cancer and needs tinted windows) it will be a $200 dollar fine, WTF is that about rarely when i recieved tickets it was $75 and i would go to court and walk now $200 has something changed over night? Thanks for the help i just need to know if im getting shafted by my town or is this all over the state.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Import Patrol

damn, that would suck!!! I have not heard of that. Would def. like to know
Old 09-06-2005, 09:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
What is the fine for having tinted windows on the front windows? is it the same in the entire state or does it vary from town to town??

The reason why i asked is because i had a cop come to my door tonight and tell me that effective as of tonight if im caught driving my cars that have tint on the side windows and there not registered to my father (he has skin cancer and needs tinted windows) it will be a $200 dollar fine, WTF is that about rarely when i recieved tickets it was $75 and i would go to court and walk now $200 has something changed over night? Thanks for the help i just need to know if im getting shafted by my town or is this all over the state.
A cop randomly came to your door and told you this? That seems very odd. I've never heard of cops going door to door to announce new (or old) laws or changes in fines. Seems pretty shady. Maybe someone is messing with you....
Old 09-06-2005, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

yes, he came to my door and told me this, i think it's total BS... theres 4 cars with 2% tint all the way around, not for reason of selling drugs, or doing illegal activity but for the reasons that my father cannot be in direct sunlight for longer than 5mins without a problem so if we need to transport him somewhere our cars will have the tint. This has been this way since 00' we have all the paper work from doctors, senators, lawyers. First they tell us that it cannot be on the period no excuses! then they say the car can't be newer than a 98 so fine the newest car is a 98 and now this, it seems to be that the town that i live in seems to have this huge *** problem with the tint on these cars and they a fully aware of the situation. The people that reside in the household have no criminal records or problems with the police so theres no reason for this. So i need to figure something out, i have one car registered out of state so they can't do a damn thing about it but the other car (my other camaro) is still registered in IL. im going to take this up with my lawyer tomorrow but before i do i just wanted to know was there something i missed in the last couple of days/weeks.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned

now i didnt work last night, so maybe in some law making miracal the law makers actually made a law in a day.....right...... but the fine is still $75.00 as far as i know. the only way it could be more is if the specific town has a local ordinance and maybe the town's fine is $200.00, but if thats the case, then the LO ticket wouldnt go on your record..... but statewise, its only $75.00.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gotzaGTO
now i didnt work last night, so maybe in some law making miracal the law makers actually made a law in a day.....right...... but the fine is still $75.00 as far as i know. the only way it could be more is if the specific town has a local ordinance and maybe the town's fine is $200.00, but if thats the case, then the LO ticket wouldnt go on your record..... but statewise, its only $75.00.
Thank you for that info, now your telling me that the town can just up the fine because they feel like it?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

If that is the case with your dad, then you should be able to get a note or something.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Banned

Thank you for that info, now your telling me that the town can just up the fine because they feel like it?
pretty much, as long as its approved by the village board/city counsel, yeah they can charge what ever they want. we're just starting to charge $500 for a tow fee on an arrest from $0 and there is a $100 fee from the tow company, so now its $600 to get your car out instead of $100.... it sux, but thats the kind of power towns/villages/citys have these days I dont know what to suggest other then to drive w/your windows down as much as possible and to drive normally by a cop, dont drive the exact limit or have your turn signal on for 500 feet, they tend to pick up on "text book" driving out of sports cars and peaks their interest...
Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its pretty obvious they have it out for you if they came knocking on your door, you have approval to have tint for medical reasons ? well last time I checked in Illinois it is LEGAL to have tint for medical reasons. So get a lawyer and if they try pulling any more **** go after them for harassment, cuz last time I checked a local government cannot override a state government and a state government cannot override a federal government. What a bunch of douche bags... what town is this btw ?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

I have a letter in my truck. I've been pulled over for tint maybe once or twice in the last 5 years.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Teching In

If you send the Doctors letter to the SOS with your registration card, they will add a note to your plate info that comes up when the popo run it that advises that the registered owner has medical reason for tint. Little known, seldom done, but true.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
Its pretty obvious they have it out for you if they came knocking on your door, you have approval to have tint for medical reasons ? well last time I checked in Illinois it is LEGAL to have tint for medical reasons. So get a lawyer and if they try pulling any more **** go after them for harassment, cuz last time I checked a local government cannot override a state government and a state government cannot override a federal government. What a bunch of douche bags... what town is this btw ?
The town is Carpentersville, Never move there if you live there already get out why you can!!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by randyvettes
If you send the Doctors letter to the SOS with your registration card, they will add a note to your plate info that comes up when the popo run it that advises that the registered owner has medical reason for tint. Little known, seldom done, but true.
yeah im aware of that, one car has it on the plates already but it's taking too long to get the others done.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Launching!

The reason why i asked is because i had a cop come to my door tonight
Do you have this officers name or badge number? Did you recognize him? Is there something your not saying in this post? I would definetly get in contact with your lawyer about this.

Police officers don't go door to door informing people of new laws.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Camaro_SLP

Exactly. Or at least they shouldn't be.....
Old 09-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_SLP
I found the same exact thing very odd when it happened to my cousin a few weeks back. He took out his mustang for a bit and left it parked in front on the house (On the street). A few hours later a cop comes to the door and states everything that is illigal with the car and says if he see's it again he will give him tickets (Tint, exhaust, no front plate).

After that happened I was just like, damn... cops keep getting too much power...
Old 09-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

Some people get a power complex when they put on that badge or take office. Its jerks like that, that make everyday life a living h*ll for us average citizens that never really get in anymore trouble then a traffic or parking ticket every now and then. My sister has been dealing with that kind of cr*p about her house with some stupid a$$ inspector that is just trying to nail her for every little damn thing he can. Even hassled her because she had too many cigarette buts by her front door! Yea you read that right. She said you would be insulting Steve Erkle by comparing this guy to him. So probable because he was the little dork a$$ geek that got his but kicked all the time he's taking out on everyone else now. Bottom line, like I said. Give some people power it will just go to their heads.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:22 AM
TECH Resident

The town is Carpentersville, Never move there if you live there already get out why you can!!
ive never had a problem, chances are you cut the cop off or otherwise pissed him off, hes a racist slob, or hes just jelous of your wheels.

though, your tint is much darker than mine, from personal experience msot cville cops arent bad, but there are a few complete dicks in the bunch, but that is true for any town.

edit: on second thought it depends on what part of c'ville your in, as to how freindly the cops are, no probs over here in old c'ville but back by the high school they tend to be dicks, i dont know where exqactly your from those are really the only 2 area's of the town im aware of cop wise

Last edited by Cephiros; 09-08-2005 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
I found the same exact thing very odd when it happened to my cousin a few weeks back. He took out his mustang for a bit and left it parked in front on the house (On the street). A few hours later a cop comes to the door and states everything that is illigal with the car and says if he see's it again he will give him tickets (Tint, exhaust, no front plate).

After that happened I was just like, damn... cops keep getting too much power...
This leads me to beleive that the cop must have seen him driving and tracked him down later at his house. How could the cop know if the exhaust was illegal on a parked car unless he heard it running earlier (unless the car had 4" chrome sidepipes like an old Vette ). Or maybe the neighbors complained about loud exhaust and the cop just took their word for it? Is the car even that loud though?

Just curious because it seems pretty odd for cops to randomly show up at people's homes like that unless they are out to get you or the neighbors have filed some kind of complaint.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Law has been in effect since July or August 1st. It has been raised from 75 to $200 + court costs and court orders. This is where everyone is getting SCREWED.good luck my friend.

Off. Robert Rosales
ISP PSU

Quick Reply: Question For IL Cops!!!