Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Bubbling on the roof.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubbling on the roof.

Well Low and behold I found bubbles on the roof.. the infamous clear coat seperating. Where can I get that repaired in Indiana. I went to the lafayette, IN dealership and I am not having any luck. I have an '01 Camaro SS, 24K miles on it, out of warranty, and It has seen the rain twice. I wash and wax it every week and it is garage kept.. Way to go GM Engineers!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Just had the same thing happen to mine last week. Need to say Im pissed off too.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Download a copy of the TSB & take it to your dealer. If that particular dealer won't help, ..., see another, ...
Most everyone gets it repaired by the dealer. Some have had to pay 1/2, but I wouldn't volunteer that until the absolute last chance.
Use the search function to find the info. Or PM an email address & I'll send ya a copy if necessary.

As they say, ..., "Been There, Done That", ...
Old 10-20-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Download a copy of the TSB & take it to your dealer. If that particular dealer won't help, ..., see another, ...
Most everyone gets it repaired by the dealer. Some have had to pay 1/2, but I wouldn't volunteer that until the absolute last chance.
Use the search function to find the info. Or PM an email address & I'll send ya a copy if necessary.

As they say, ..., "Been There, Done That", ...
Yup I've made copies. I'll find out if the dealer will take care of it today if not I'm driving it to indianapolis.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Well I found out today if your in the lafayette are and your roof bubbles you'll have less red tape to punch through to get your roof fixed if you take it to Mike Raiser Pontiac on Earl Ave. I'm still Dealing with Bill Defouw Chevrolet but I have heard from 2 dependable sources they took their F-bodies to Mike Raisor and had no problems.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

That sounds great. How is the turbo install on the daily driver coming?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
That sounds great. How is the turbo install on the daily driver coming?
Getting there.. I have the exhaust manifold halfway done.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Not trying o be a hijacker,but I would like to see that turbo install when it is done.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CashMoney
Well Low and behold I found bubbles on the roof.. the infamous clear coat seperating. Where can I get that repaired in Indiana. I went to the lafayette, IN dealership and I am not having any luck. I have an '01 Camaro SS, 24K miles on it, out of warranty, and It has seen the rain twice. I wash and wax it every week and it is garage kept.. Way to go GM Engineers!
Hey Nate,
Sorry to hear about the roof. I guess its contaigous. I'm gonna talk to the family and see what I can do. If it works out, I'll let you know. At worst you would have to drive the car up north to have it worked on.
Ed
Old 10-24-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
Not trying o be a hijacker,but I would like to see that turbo install when it is done.

Yeah I'll post pics and stuff as I get it together..

And
Hey Nate,
Sorry to hear about the roof. I guess its contaigous. I'm gonna talk to the family and see what I can do. If it works out, I'll let you know. At worst you would have to drive the car up north to have it worked on.
Ed
Thanks man I'm still fighting with the Chevy Guys.. I'm taking it to pontiac and see what they say after work and the gym today.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

UPDATE! I got a call from the GM lady. She tells me the manager at Bill Defouw Chevrolet in Lafayette does not trust his crew to work on my car. He also stated that they have never done the repair on the sail panel before. So then they tell the lady that I have to take it to Bill Estes Chevrolet in Indianapolis. So I call down there to make an appointment to take my car in to get fixed and I find out they don't have a body shop they contract it out to some place in Noblesville, IN I say **** that and I drive to Mike Raisor Pontiac in Lafayette here becuase 2 people told me to go to them and get it fixed. The guy there tells me 1. They won't fix it becuase it is a Chevy and not a Firebird. and 2. That I need to take it to the chevy place. and 3. They have not repaired one. I feel like doing this to GM
Old 10-24-2005, 06:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by CashMoney
I say **** that and I drive to Mike Raisor Pontiac in Lafayette here becuase 2 people told me to go to them and get it fixed. The guy there tells me 1. They won't fix it becuase it is a Chevy and not a Firebird. and 2. That I need to take it to the chevy place.
Something is very wrong with either that service writer, or the dealer's service policy in general.

I could understand a pontiac dealer not wanting to work on a chevy still under warranty, but if the repair is coming out of your pocket then this is total

I always take my Bonneville to a chevy dealer when it needs something I can't fix, because the particular dealer I go to has consistantly provided me with the best service and quality repairs of any shop I've ever been to, so I take all my GM cars to them. Never once have they mentioned a word about only working on chevys. That's just dumb, GM is GM. Many parts and specs are interchangeable between GM brands. Hell, when my Bonneville was in an accident a few years back I even took it to that same chevy dealer's body shop, and they had no problem doing the repair.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

UPDATE! I called the Indy Dealership to make an appointment to get them to look at it and the guy I'm susposed to talk to is on vacation for the next week and a half.
I also got the quote from Twin City Collision Repair for them to fix it if I have to pay out of pocket and the price tag comes to 1200 bones.. my DD didn't even cost that much
Old 10-26-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

I'm going home this weekend, I'll be sure to ask about all of those policies. I could have sworn as long as the car is under warrant, or even if it isn't, it shouldn't matter which type of GM dealership the car is taken too. I could be mistaken however.
Ed
Old 10-26-2005, 05:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackFormula01
I'm going home this weekend, I'll be sure to ask about all of those policies. I could have sworn as long as the car is under warrant, or even if it isn't, it shouldn't matter which type of GM dealership the car is taken too. I could be mistaken however.
Ed
If it's going to be covered under warranty, then I doubt anyone but a Chevy dealer will do the repair. If it's out-of-pocket, then any dealer will/should do it.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RPM.. as long as there is a dealership with a body shop.

I have not found a dealership in my immediate area with a body shop.... nearest one is 2 hours. That sucks.

I have the infamous bubbles too. 2001 ss, 45k miles... that sucks.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Finally it is getting fixed. After all this fighting and calling around and switching dealerships I found one to fix the roof under warranty.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Glad to hear that you are finally getting this issue resolved,even if you can't divulge the name of the dealer.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

i jsut noticed mine bubbling on the sides not the top of the sail panel, easy enough, even out of pocket, though problem is, i ahve stripe decals on me roof :/ not sure how to go about having this fixed while still retaining my decals :/
Old 11-03-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Your decals will have to come off. You will have to get new ones.

Quick Reply: Bubbling on the roof.