Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

How many people in IL arent running a front plate?

Old 10-27-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How many people in IL arent running a front plate?

Just as the title implies how many people in Illinois (Chicago area preferably) don't run a front plate on their cars? Do you get crap from the cops ? Is it just a fix it ticket? I just got a deal on a plate filler for my bird on ebay and will be putting it on regardless, just wondering what I should expect.

I think if I get pulled over I'll say, "I didnt know you could put a front plate on this car!!"
Old 10-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never had any problems on any car that i owned
Old 10-27-2005, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

when i got the car, had a plate
shortly after i bought a new grill so i didnt have a plate
a year later i was followed for 2 miles before getting pulled over, ticket for no front plate only - EDIT: this was in North Aurora Airport Rd. and Lake St.
pull old grill back on with plate untill court date, showed pictures of having a plate on the car, ticket got thrown out, the next day the new grill was back in minus the plate

id say as long as you dont drive in a manner that brings attention to yourself, they are pretty cool about it

however my dad was in Dekalb and got pulled over by a state cop and was givin a fix-it ticket, he didnt even put the plate back on, just went to the station and told the police that hes got a plate on the car now, and they said ok

Last edited by LiquidFire350; 10-27-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not runs plates in the front nor rear.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

i have no front plate, my toher car (that didnt even have a holder) got pulled over adn ticketed for it, i put on the plate adn took it to court, and got a reduced fine, so ti all depends on what kinda dicks they feel liek being, but its not a moving violation so tis all good, personally i keep the plate inth e car, adn if i get pulled over i simply tell me its a show car and i had forgotten to put the plate back on, its right here *gets it from under seat*
(never happened, but prepared..if it works, i duno)
Old 10-27-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

What was the reduced fine ?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I didn't run a front plate on my WS6 for the first 4 years that I had it. Only got hassled one time for it, at one of those check points they setup looking for drunk drivers. Just got a warning. That was in either Hanover Park or Schaumburg, it was in '01. Then again, that car was not on the road very often.....
Old 10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

I've never had a front plate on any car I've ever owned. I've been pulled over dozens of times and only once the police officer asked me where my front plate was and I just told him that I just got my car back from the body shop after having a front end collision. It was the truth what I told him but I left out the part that I didn't have a front plate on the car prior to the accident. Then approx. a month ago I was stopped by a road side safety check on I90 @ Arlington Heights Rd. W/B by the Illinois State Police. The State Trooper made a comment about me not having a front license plate. Then he asked if I have the plate and I just don't have it on the car or if someone stole it. I was honest with him and I just told him I don't have it on the car and he was real nice and said that he had to write me a written warning. After writing me the written warning he said that a written warning doesn't cost any money but it goes in the Illinois State Police computer system for the next year and if I get stopped by the Illinois State Police again in the next 12 months they'll write me a citation.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

i've never been hassled for it either, i live in lincoln square. i would think if you have other 'noticeable' issues such as open exhaust or tinted windows they might be more inclined to give ya crap.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

You guys are lucky. In the first year that I had my Formula WS6, I received 2 tickets and was pulled over 4 times for no front plate. I just keep it in the window though, and if I get pulled over again, Ill tell them that it is a show car and that I drive it around 600 miles a year.

Had to go to court though, forgot what the fee was. Pulled over twice in Oak Brook and twice in Willowbrook.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Import Patrol

Originally Posted by mdblackz28
I do not runs plates in the front nor rear.

Ya, I noticed that saturday. But then again most race cars don't have plates.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Import Patrol

As you can see, I don't run one either. I got pulled over from time to time and got a $20.00 ticket (Brookfield area). Then after I put the front decal on (reflective) it draws to much attention and I get pulled over more often. I had my front plate on maybe 2 times for a month at a time. But it just does not look right.

Beware of stone park though. One of my buddies got busted there for no front plate on his ta, and he got a $75.00 ticket. So just avoid stone park.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race Car...Race Car???...Yeah, I guess so
Old 10-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Import Patrol

Well, I haven't seen your car on the street in awhile.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like its kind of all in the luck, I am worried about Tinley Park though, anyone have experience w/ TP and no front plates?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
You guys are lucky. In the first year that I had my Formula WS6, I received 2 tickets and was pulled over 4 times for no front plate. I just keep it in the window though, and if I get pulled over again, Ill tell them that it is a show car and that I drive it around 600 miles a year.

Had to go to court though, forgot what the fee was. Pulled over twice in Oak Brook and twice in Willowbrook.
dont put it in the window, i had a cop tell me this, the only legal place is displayed on the outside of the car on the front
putting it in the window brings attention to the fact that its improperly displayed, and now the cop is thinking about, if you dont put it in the window, 90% of the time they just wont even think about it
Old 10-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Import Patrol

Originally Posted by Luna
Sounds like its kind of all in the luck, I am worried about Tinley Park though, anyone have experience w/ TP and no front plates?

I have never had a problem in Tinley Park. Probably because of all the damn traffic that goes thru, it's not worth their time.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

When I was 17 I drove a civic loud enough to hear from a mile away and drove without a front or rear plate for 3 months. To add to this I delivered pizzas around 3 towns 4 nights a week and was even followed by cops from time to time and still never got pulled over, lol, I don't even understand how a cop didn't stop me for that but they didnt.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

i dont remeber waht it cost, it was a couple years ago, sorry.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on the area, some cops care, some don't.
I haven't had a front plate on a car I've owned in 10 years.
I've gotten stopped three times for it... once about 3 miles from my house back in 1999 in my 1999 Camaro (verbal warning), once this summer downstate in my Z28(written warning), and once this spring in my town in my Grand Am (written warning - also for window tints).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many people in IL arent running a front plate?