Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Ohio (Akron) emission testing questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohio (Akron) emission testing questions

I will be moving to Akron in a month and I recently that I will hav eto undergo an emission inspection there. Is anyone in that area can tell me what they would do and where would be a good place to take a car that has no cats and long tube headers?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Teching In

As for diganostics I believe they just (after 1996) plug into your OBDII port and no codes = no problem.

If they decide to do visual inspection though and see no cats....well, all bets are off.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

You have to have sonverter on the car - there is a visual inspections , the test itself is OBD2 plug in test.

Register the car in Canton (Stark County)
Old 05-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Launching!

I was thinking of registering it in Wayne county if possible, or trying to keep my Tennessee registration. That way I don't need to have the front license plate either...
Old 05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

They do the OBDII check and look for cats, that's about it. Mine passed it with a TR230 cam, MAC headers with catted Y pipe and all AIR/rear o2 sensors removed. You just need to tune it right.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you have to do is apply for collector tags. The Firehawk will qualify (they check a list). Then the car is exempt from emission testing. You do have to send imformation verifying that you have another car that you use as a daily driver. That's what I did.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Divergent Lightning
I was thinking of registering it in Wayne county if possible, or trying to keep my Tennessee registration. That way I don't need to have the front license plate either...
As far as I know, you have to register the vehicle in the place of residence. If you have a way to prove residence in another county, such as Stark for instance, you do not undergo the inspections. I work with someone who owns land in a non emission testing county. He has his vehicles registered there. As stated above, OBDII cars are computer tested but I know they test the gas cap and "think" I saw them with the long handled mirror looking under the car.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
All you have to do is apply for collector tags. The Firehawk will qualify (they check a list). Then the car is exempt from emission testing. You do have to send imformation verifying that you have another car that you use as a daily driver. That's what I did.
I defeintely have my Fiances Grand Am to use as the Daily Driver, May have to check on that. Thanks!