Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Who's had tuning done at FLP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Who's had tuning done at FLP?

How was your overall experience? How did the car perform on the rollers AND down the track? Several people have pointed me in their direction, but they charge the most out of all the tuners around Chicagoland and hear they *only* use a Diablo tuner (but if it works, I could care less). I'm looking for a tuner that can I can be sure puts in the extra effort to get every last bit of performance out of my setup.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say have Mike he does tuning at both Straightline and Outlaw i believe.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pimpium57
hear they *only* use a Diablo tuner (but if it works, I could care less).
i highly doubt that, althought if you really want to know, call and ask them

i haven't heard of a lot of people going there, but ive never heard a complaint from the ones who have
Old 06-24-2006, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

all i know is when i called there for a gear install they wanted $600

will never even consider them again!
Old 06-24-2006, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I'm a big fan of FLP. Dan does the tuning there. Not sure what software he uses, it's been a while since I've visited them.

FLP has been nothing but a 100% positive experiance for me every time I've had contact with them. I would highly recommend them for anything. The FLP/FLT A4 transmissions are top notch as well.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far.....EPP is another idea, any feedback on their tuner?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

FLP does not use a Diablo sport tuner. I know when he tuned my LT1 car he used LT1edit. From what I remember on the LS1 stuff, he used LS1edit. Top notch shop in my book. A little pricey, but in todays performance world, you really do get what you pay for at FLP.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I couldnt get my car to pass emissions (alot of deleted stuff)I took it too the top shops in the midwest. FLP was the only oneable to get the job done (passed with flying colors). Great customer service.

Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 04:20 AM
Sweet Cheeks

I would never even consider FLP again FWIW.

I went to drop my car off to have the trans pulled and it was like it was a huge inconvenience to drop it off. Like they were doing me a favor by overcharging me to pull the trans.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Damage Inc.
I would never even consider FLP again FWIW.

I went to drop my car off to have the trans pulled and it was like it was a huge inconvenience to drop it off. Like they were doing me a favor by overcharging me to pull the trans.
We were extremely busy and squeezed you in. I actually had to shuffle around our schedule to get you in because you begged me to squeeze you in because you needed to get your car back on the street racing. We were originally going to rebuild your transmission for you because you told us the Rossler wouldnt do it under warranty. After we pulled the transmission and brought it to Chuck at Finish Line Trans and he looked at it you then got Rossler to rebuild it under warranty so we sent it to him. So in the mean time we stored your vehicle inside for weeks for a transmission R&R and we didnt even sell you a transmission. Normally a transmission R&R the car comes and goes in the same day. The only hold up was on Rossler and on Yank getting your converter back.

Explain how we overcharged you? You asked how much it was to do the work, agreed to it, and paid us. If you had a problem with the price why did you bring the car to us to begin with?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

For Ford vehicles form 94 to 04 we can either tune a vehicle with a Diablosport chip or a programmer if the customer already has one. Its $550 for a chip tune or $450 for a programmer tune. For 05+ Ford vehicles we can only tune with a programmer because Diablosport doesnt offer chips for the 05+ Ford vehicles.

For LS1, LS2, and LT1 vehicles we use LS1/lS2/LT1 Edit. For LS1/LS2 cars the price is $450 bolt-on cars $550 for Cam, H/C, stroker, FI cars. For LT1s its $350 for bolt-on cars $450 for Cam, H/C, stroker, FI. We do charge more than some of the other tuners in the area because we feel we offer a better tune than our competitors. Your not just paying for a DynoJet and a computer but also for the tuners knowledge and experience. We have had LOTS of customers who were very happy with our tune over what they had received from our competitors.

Last edited by maddboost; 06-28-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

heard nothing but great things about FLP... I guess except Damage Inc.'s post.

I have a built trans from them and had no problems with anything. The guys over there are great too. I recommend.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Just had my car tuned there by Dan. Great experience, no complaints, great results.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For LS1/LS2 cars the price is $450 NA cars $550 for FI cars.
FLP website says $450 for bolt on LS1's and $550 for cam&heads, FI cars....

What if I have cam only + boltons Ls1 ? Would that be $450 or $550 ???
Old 06-28-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

in the world of owning your own business, rule number 1. YOU CANT AND WONT MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY.

there are people that hate speed inc, outlaw, FLP, EPP, etc.
Then again those shops also have many happy customers.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Flp

I had FLP tune my car. After three other tuners couldnt get it right, Dan did. The car runs great. The only thing I did not like was they do not road tune the car (understandable due to insurance and liabilities). So the shift points are not correct, at least in my case. They did say if the shift points were not correct they would make adjustments to fix it but I, and stress I, am not making a bunch of trips to FLP to get it right. But again, this is my choice...
Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AdamSS
FLP website says $450 for bolt on LS1's and $550 for cam&heads, FI cars....

What if I have cam only + boltons Ls1 ? Would that be $450 or $550 ???
Sorry I corrected above.

For your car it would be $550.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Taphee6
I had FLP tune my car. After three other tuners couldnt get it right, Dan did. The car runs great. The only thing I did not like was they do not road tune the car (understandable due to insurance and liabilities). So the shift points are not correct, at least in my case. They did say if the shift points were not correct they would make adjustments to fix it but I, and stress I, am not making a bunch of trips to FLP to get it right. But again, this is my choice...
I understand that you may need to come back for the shift point changes but we do not go racing around in customers cars to check shift points. We do street tuning but only for drivability not WOT. Its just too dangerous.

What is the shift point problem your having? Is it hitting the rev limiter?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Dan is the man. If you want it done right... you'll have to get in line as it is the busy time of the year. Why do people wait until the summer anyway? Why not get it done in the winter? I never will understand that. Anyway.... FLP is little more expensive than some of the other "tuners", but you get what you pay for. When you consider what you have spent on the cost of the car and the cost of the modifications, why skimp on the tuning? It's a no-brainer to go to FLP.

Dan also tunes with F.A.S.T. Big Stuff 3, Accel, etc.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default ?

Originally Posted by maddboost
I understand that you may need to come back for the shift point changes but we do not go racing around in customers cars to check shift points. We do street tuning but only for drivability not WOT. Its just too dangerous.

What is the shift point problem your having? Is it hitting the rev limiter?
Phil,

By no means am I bashing FLP. I stated it has been my choice not to go back and get it adjusted. And that is simply because you are an hour and a half away. And I am going to get a strange s60...

I am hitting the rev limiter on 1-2 shifts at WOT.

Quick Reply: Who's had tuning done at FLP?