Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Indiana Folks got a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indiana Folks got a question

Going to grad school in Muncie at Ball State. Im not used to snow by any means.
Are you guys able to drive you cars around all year? I am putting 450 to the wheels. Im not exactly sure how the weather is up there cause im from Texas.
thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Auto or 6 speed? That'll make a difference.

But that being said, get a set of snow tires (Blizzaks are good) and toss some sand bags in the back.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Tenured Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be able to drive it just try not to when the snow is on the ground. I drove my 636 ninja all through the winter. Just stop easy and never hit the brakes hard if you get caught driving in snow or youll spin/ slide/ crash
Old 10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

6 speed

So get some snow tires and add weight in the trunk??
what is the time frame of bad weather?
like nov-mar??
Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

nov-feb more than likely. i dont envy you driving an ls1 in the winter. why not spend 500 on a beater and park the car for the winter?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002z28
nov-feb more than likely. i dont envy you driving an ls1 in the winter. why not spend 500 on a beater and park the car for the winter?

Thats also an option as well.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

I've got a friend at Purdue who has driven a cammed car around for several winters. He just puts Blizzaks on it and doesn't do anything stupid. It can be done, but if you've got the money for the beater that's a better option.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

With out snow tires it will be very hard and if you see a hill youll never make it up it without them. As long as you have a decent snow tire youll be ok. The only time i drove my camaro in the winter is for transporting it for mods other than that i drive my othere dd.And the one time i did drive my car in the snow i got stuck in my own driveway which had almost zero incline but i couldnt make it up it.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I daily drove mine for 5 years and never got stuck in the snow, and my daily commute is 38 miles one way. I never missed a day of work either, when others that lived much closer to me couldn't seem to make it in. I have an A4 with TC, and I never used weight in the back or snow tires. The GSC's did me just fine. In fact, I thought it was easier to drive the 'bird in the snow than it was to drive my fwd '82 Citation.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

jsut live close enough to campus that you can walk or take the bus cause driving can suck my friend drives his formula on snow tires here at purdue, they help but its still hard as hell for him to maintain control
Old 10-25-2006, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

I would suggest going with a winter beater if you can afford it. At the very least if you are going to drive your car during the winter get a good set of winter tires like the Blizzaks.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

+1 with the winter I have a 4wd Tracker that makes it through anything picked it up for 700 bones and I get 30+ MPG cheaper to run it than the SS I look forward to winter when I'm broke. Plus if you have two cars you get a nice multi-car discount and your ls1 can be put on Comp if stored in a garage or storage unit for 10 bucks a month.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

If you are just moving up here, a few suggestions for that car:
-snow tires on plain rims
-bags of sand in back
-keep a broom and shovel handy but don't scratch up your interior
-emergency jumper pack... I like these things because when it gets to 0F, and the car is sitting outside, it might need a little help... Or get a tricklecharger if the car is indoor.

I drove my old 98SS M6 for a year in the winter, and it did okay.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've got a stock '96, plain tires, and have a 35 mile commute through very rural areas, only had 2 problems in 6 years (knock on wood), one of which was when we got 20+ inches. On the other hand, my husband tried to drive my car one winter, got a block from home and had to push it back to the driveway. No matter how good your tires are and how much weight you put back there, take it slow, drive like you have some sense, and have full coverage insurance, just in case
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird96
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've got a stock '96, plain tires, and have a 35 mile commute through very rural areas, only had 2 problems in 6 years (knock on wood), one of which was when we got 20+ inches. On the other hand, my husband tried to drive my car one winter, got a block from home and had to push it back to the driveway. No matter how good your tires are and how much weight you put back there, take it slow, drive like you have some sense, and have full coverage insurance, just in case
Hey I knew there was at least one other person out there like me
Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

I would not even think about it. To much invested to risk on snow covered roads. Buy a cheap beater for the season.

BTW I sell cheap beaters. LOL. PM me if you ever need one.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
If you are just moving up here, a few suggestions for that car:
-snow tires on plain rims
-bags of sand in back
-keep a broom and shovel handy but don't scratch up your interior
-emergency jumper pack... I like these things because when it gets to 0F, and the car is sitting outside, it might need a little help... Or get a tricklecharger if the car is indoor.

I drove my old 98SS M6 for a year in the winter, and it did okay.

What he said, I drove my old 86 v6 camaro in the winter with a crapy stock suspension and it sucked. Shovel and snow tires for sure.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Dude, beaters are so much fun. I recommend them to anyone. I had an 85 Celica, in the summer I got to hot in it so I cut a huge hole in the roof....it was totally awesome.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:43 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Azar
Dude, beaters are so much fun. I recommend them to anyone. I had an 85 Celica, in the summer I got to hot in it so I cut a huge hole in the roof....it was totally awesome.

My beater/daily driver is called 3 tone.... nuff said lol.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Ball State? I haven't seen you around. I live in town and go there too. What is your field of study?

I haven't driven mine in winter yet since I just got it in April, but I have a set of 215/60/16 Blizzaks on stock Firebird rims in the mail as we speak and I doubt I'll have any problems. I still live at home, and my mom and stepdad both drive RWD cars all winter. One is a Boxster and the other a Jaguar S-Type R (heavier than my car and makes more power @ the wheels) so I doubt I will have problems. They both run Blizzaks as well. So I would suggest get some winter only tires and you'll be just fine. Don't drive like an ***, give yourself plenty of distance between cars, and brake VERY early. Heck, I drove a '66 Impala with generic tires my first two winters of driving so I guess that's why I'm not concerned with driving my TA on dedicated winter tires this year.

Quick Reply: Indiana Folks got a question