Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

FS: 1986 Yamaha FJ1200

Old 04-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FS: 1986 Yamaha FJ1200

Here is a link to the eBay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330112126401

I am selling my 1986 Yamaha FJ1200 that I have owned for 8 months and have put a little over 1,000 miles on it. I am the third owner of this very fast and awesome all around sport cruiser. I bought it off of a close buddy who owned and rode it for roughly 12 years and kept up regular maintenance as he is a mechanic himself. It only has 13,593 miles on it!!! It runs great, stays cool, does not burn or leak any fluid, has all of the lights functional, shifts through all of the gears smoothly without any popping, and it is VERY reliable. I am located in New Lenox, IL, which is 40 miles southwest of Chicago. It’s not perfect but it is great looking for a 21 year old bike and runs unbelievably great without one mechanical problem. The only thing that doesn't work on the bike is the fuel gauge. There are a few scuffs and scrapes on it and a few minor cosmetic blemishes that you can see in the pics. The battery is brand new, the tires have good tread left in them, the brakes and chain have long life left, the clutch is smooth, and it has fresh Mobil 1 oil in it. The only modifications done to it are one tooth down on the front sprocket and the Lockhart Phillips smoked windscreen. The motor is very strong and pulls hard all the way to redline. This is the same motor that is used in the Legends race cars due to its great power and reliability. The bike isn't raced and is used for commuting back and forth to work when it's nice out.

Cosmetic problems:

The lower cowling is missing one of the mounting tabs. This happened when the clutch slave cylinder leaked, but has since been fixed. (This is a common issue with the FJs) The hydraulic fluid leaked down onto the frame and stripped the paint from the frame right below the slave, as well as a little bit on the oil filter cover. This weakened the rear mounting tab on the left side of the lower cowling and broke off the rear most mounting tab. It is still fastened by the other three mounting holes and does not drag or cause a problem.

The right side muffler has a small dent and the right side has a few small scratches on the scoop and covers from the first owner dropping it in his driveway. I never fixed it because the dent in the muffler didn't hurt the performance at all and the scratches can not be seen unless you get really close.

Like I said, the bike isn't perfect, but for 21 years old, it is really nice and very reliable! It only has the 13,593 miles on it and will see many many years of riding. I just rode it this morning, over 200 miles roundtrip with a mix between city and highway, and I got 38.7 mpg. You can't beat that for 21 years old. I get compliments all of the time from people young and old. It is a very comfortable bike to ride. You are able to sit straight up and ride comfortably without any fatigue. (It is not like today's crotch rockets where you have to practically lay on the tank to ride) I have a clean IL title in hand, and I will include the original owner's manual, as well as over 100 pages of various Yamaha FJ 1200 magazine articles and tech documents that I have collected ranging through the past 21 years.

I hate to see her go as it is a very fun, fast, great looking, and reliable bike to ride, but my family comes first. I would prefer a local pickup of course but will work with the buyer as far as shipping goes. The buyer is to pay the freight costs, but I will make sure it is loaded properly and gets to you right. You could even fly out here and ride it home if you want!!! I require a deposit of $250 within 48 hours of the auction close.

I will take $2,000 O.B.O., or I will trade for a built 4l60e transmission. If you have any questions, you can email me at Mattdatri@gmail.com or PM me here on LS1Tech.

Here is a link to the pictures:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...maha%20FJ1200/

Last edited by Matt D; 04-22-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:55 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to trade for a converter? Trans not included.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Retired Street Racer

I will trade it for a stage 4 trans...
Old 04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Sorry but I would definitely kill myself on that thing. I might know a guy looking for a bike that I think has a rear end. I will give him a call. Bump for you.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Retired Street Racer

I am going to put another 10 bolt in it, so cash or a built 4l60e will work.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

what did you get it to E.T. and mph at the track...
Old 04-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Retired Street Racer

I personally never raced it, but my buddy who had it before me got it to run 10.89 @ 126. He is no pro rider either.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Retired Street Racer

8 hours left on the auction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FS: 1986 Yamaha FJ1200