Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Ohio E-Check?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohio E-Check?

I have someone from Ohio that wants to buy my car but is worried about the E-Check. Its a 94 built car supercharger and all. Anyone have any info as what would be the best way for him to pass or how to title the car?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it depends were in ohio they are because there are only 2 county's in Ohio that do e-check anymore Cuyahoga and ... one near columbus. as for passing you must have cats and a full exhaust (they will do a visual check) and depending on what year they will either check the obd2 port for any codes or problems or they will stick a probe up into the tail pipe to measure the levels. i think it is really all up to how the car is tuned and if the engine is in good condition. make sure that he drives the car for atleast 10 miles to get it nice and warm and an oil change before the check is a good idea too, and fuel injector cleaner to clean out all the junk.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I live in Lake county which is one of the few in Ohio who still echeck. I just passed in May with a 227/233 112LSA cam. I still have all smog equipment on car with MAC mid lenght headers and the stock cat converter. Because of the year (older than 96) they tested it on the dyno at 25mph. The car actually produces less emissions now than with the factory cam.

Any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Buddy
Old 06-21-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

This car has no cats, no egr, and non of the smog stuff on it. I could easily put the shell of cats on the exhaust, and an egr in place to make it pass the visual. I'll see what county he lives in and post that up too to see if you can help. As far as the tailpipe test goes they do that here to but I have always had friends that worked at shops take care of that but I don't know if anything up there would prohibit it from being done.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

there is no visual save for the occasional mirror to look for cats.

we have state contracted testing places, not independent shops, so you can't use the "i have friends" deal either.

the whole program is a sham, my 90 lumina van failed with new cat and all new emissions parts, but my 89 silverado passed the visual cat check and the tailpipe sniffer, with NO CAT - just the heat shields screwed onto the pipe.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the cats we were just going to weld the shell of cats on the exhaust which would pass a visual. Outside of that I don't know what else to tell the guy
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Two words "Collecters Plates". It super easy to get them for SS's and WS6's but im not sure about the Z's, But i have seen Z's with them so its possible. Another thing is you have to have another car register to your name to get them.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gimp98TNT
Two words "Collecters Plates". It super easy to get them for SS's and WS6's but im not sure about the Z's, But i have seen Z's with them so its possible. Another thing is you have to have another car register to your name to get them.
Collector plates is a great way to get around the Ohio E-check. I have a couple friends that have done it. I had my car e-checked twice, they do it every other year, when I lived in Cleveland. It's not a big deal. As long as you're not throwing an SES light, you should be good to go whether you have cats or not. Most of the people working at those e-check places are pretty lazy and don't care to look under and see if you have cats or not.

If it's really a problem, just have the car registered at a friend or family member's address nearby that doesn't have e-check, that's what alot of other people do. Like most stupid govt rules, there are plenty of ways to get around it.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in columbus and I have never had to do e-check ever.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Collector plates is the easiest way around it, otherwise lean the car a bit and put catalytic converters on it for the sniffer.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

"Collector Plates"

I have a 94 car that is built and wouldn't other wise pass emissions, so I just apllied for collector plates. Then no emissions testing is required.

You do need to have another car titled in your name to get collectors plates though.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

I was told by the state BMV office that i would have to pass one test to qualify for collector plates, then they were ****** about issuing them even though i proved my car was a special model AND limited production, their 2 qualifications... i think it depends who you get on the phone that day.

and the "as long as your SES light isnt on" comment only works for OBD2 cars. and they can still fail with the light off.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

I don't think OHIO has an E-Check................. The car does need to be inspected in Ohio before a title can be issued to the new owner who lives in Ohio. And dealer can do the inspection I mentioned. I am sure there are other folks as well. If I were you I would pay to have someone run a car fax on your car. Then the prospective buyer knows what they say.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
I don't think OHIO has an E-Check................. The car does need to be inspected in Ohio before a title can be issued to the new owner who lives in Ohio. And dealer can do the inspection I mentioned. I am sure there are other folks as well. If I were you I would pay to have someone run a car fax on your car. Then the prospective buyer knows what they say.
Ohio does have E-check, if you live in the Cleveland/Akron area.

And if you get a new car from another state, you will have to take it to a BMV office for them to inspect it. They basiclly only look to see if the VIN matches and document the milage.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

According to what I hear, they are not allowing Collector Plates anymore for Camaro's. I have a friend with a 2002 SS and he just got a letter in the mail saying that since GM has decided to re-release the Camaro into production they no longer qualify as a "collector vehicle...." He just got his letter last week.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

If you can prove a certain amount in investment into the car (i think it's $3000), the collector car guides don't matter. You will need pictures and recipts to prove your case though.

Edit: http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registra...tor_plates.htm

Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the above publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production, is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application or a sizable investment can be proven.

Quick Reply: Ohio E-Check?