Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

anyone know where to get heads repaired in chicago?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone know where to get heads repaired in chicago?

hey all, recently i put a new motor in my car because i had a piston crack probably from me over revving it about a year ago. well, apparently when i put the new motor in, there was a small chunk of piston still in the intake manifold that got into one of the cylinders and did damage similar to this guys car https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...2&page=1&pp=20

it has some nicks in the head and in the piston similar to whats in those pictures. im planning on buying used pistons from someone on here, and i want to see if i can get the head repaired because theyre tea ported heads. does anyone know of any good machine shops in the area that can do this? thanks a lot
Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'd be better off leaving it alone if it looks like those nicks in the picture. What were you thinking of doing? Smoothing out the nicks would probably just lower the compression ratio in that cylinder. If you want it smoothed out, they would have to remove some material, weld in some more and do a CNC job I would think. Big bucks right there.

Good luck. Oh by the way, if you are looking for a great mechanic, look at my sig.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Bill
Opel Engineering
1538 Burgundy Pkwy
Streamwood, IL
(630) 372-5569

They epoxied my old 6.0's which had a spot or two where the porting had broke through, and these heads were on my car for two years when it was going 143-144 on blower.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Z
hey all, recently i put a new motor in my car because i had a piston crack probably from me over revving it about a year ago. well, apparently when i put the new motor in, there was a small chunk of piston still in the intake manifold that got into one of the cylinders and did damage similar to this guys car https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...2&page=1&pp=20

it has some nicks in the head and in the piston similar to whats in those pictures. im planning on buying used pistons from someone on here, and i want to see if i can get the head repaired because theyre tea ported heads. does anyone know of any good machine shops in the area that can do this? thanks a lot

i know its not in chicago but - www.portandpolishing.com they might be able to help you out.. they have some castings around there..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone know where to get heads repaired in chicago?