Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinois state laws?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illinois state laws?

I was just wondering the laws about all kinds of crap I got today from a State cop. Okay, I got stopped this morning leaving my house,Traffic was bad as allways. The tires were cold and it was still slick from the snow we had yesterday. The cop didnt stop me till about 3 miles down the road when I went through a yellow light. He didnt stop me for the light, he said it was because my tires spun when I pulled out into traffic. Why would I intentionaly spin the tires while pulling out infront of the cop? Well he also said my exhaust was to loud, the tint was to dark its only 35%. The exhaust is all stock other than the spin tech muffler. Whats the law on all this stuff here? Im millitary and the car is reg. in Ohio where Im from. He also said I have to have the car reg. in Il if I live here which is crap cause Mil clas. Any help would be appreciated. All yeah he should have waited till next week. My LTs will be on than he will have reason for the stop!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C's35thSS
I was just wondering the laws about all kinds of crap I got today from a State cop. Okay, I got stopped this morning leaving my house,Traffic was bad as allways. The tires were cold and it was still slick from the snow we had yesterday. The cop didnt stop me till about 3 miles down the road when I went through a yellow light. He didnt stop me for the light, he said it was because my tires spun when I pulled out into traffic. Why would I intentionaly spin the tires while pulling out infront of the cop? Well he also said my exhaust was to loud, the tint was to dark its only 35%. The exhaust is all stock other than the spin tech muffler. Whats the law on all this stuff here? Im millitary and the car is reg. in Ohio where Im from. He also said I have to have the car reg. in Il if I live here which is crap cause Mil clas. Any help would be appreciated. All yeah he should have waited till next week. My LTs will be on than he will have reason for the stop!
It is illegal to have any tints in Illinois, but your car is registered in Ohio so if its legal there its ok. Stock exhaust with a spintech muffler is not too loud for Illinois. Just flash your military ID next time.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You car can be registered in your Home of Record, window tint depends on state car is registered, I guess he heard your exhaust so to him is too loud.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just read this in GM High Tech and my buddy is a state trooper....

In Illinios, ANYTHING that is not factory exhaust is illegal, period. Whether is increases the noise level or not, anything that is visually different or louder is technically illegal. Tint laws are vague...but 5% is supposed to be legal on the back window, anything at all on the front 2 windows or more than 6" from the top of the windshiled is a no no. I have LT's, hollowed Magnaflow cats, and short powerstick resonators, with a 3" H pipe and true duals out the back....its freakin loud, and I drive by the police station almost daily without hassle, unless its late or really early.

With loud cars, you just have to be smart and not make noise when they are near by.

As far as tint laws applying to the state the car is registered in...that will fly for a little bit, but eventually they will figure out when they see you in town all the time. That's for their safety..who knows what's going on in the car when they are walking up to your window during a "routine" stop and then you pull a gun or knife on them. They are just doing their job, and they don't make the laws, just enforce them.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86

In Illinios, ANYTHING that is not factory exhaust is illegal, period. Whether is increases the noise level or not, anything that is visually different or louder is technically illegal. Tint laws are vague...but 5% is supposed to be legal on the back window, anything at all on the front 2 windows or more than 6" from the top of the windshiled is a no no. I have LT's, hollowed Magnaflow cats, and short powerstick resonators, with a 3" H pipe and true duals out the back....its freakin loud, and I drive by the police station almost daily without hassle, unless its late or really early.

With loud cars, you just have to be smart and not make noise when they are near by.

As far as tint laws applying to the state the car is registered in...that will fly for a little bit, but eventually they will figure out when they see you in town all the time. That's for their safety..who knows what's going on in the car when they are walking up to your window during a "routine" stop and then you pull a gun or knife on them. They are just doing their job, and they don't make the laws, just enforce them.

exactly, anything that is not stock is illegal...

anything and everything illegal, makes for a great revenue generator for the state!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

In Illinios, ANYTHING that is not factory exhaust is illegal, period. Whether is increases the noise level or not, anything that is visually different or louder is technically illegal.
That is not true.

Any OEM *style* catback is legal so long as it uses a replacement muffler that does not exceed factory noise levels, and the dementions/routing of the system follow the stock configuration. Stuff like Walker replacement systems are fine, etc. The system does NOT have to be the assmembly line issued exhaust just to be legal.

As for what will be enforced, you can get away with most of the catbacks that use a muffler without issues. Headers with ORY and no muffler will definitely get you hassled.

My guess as to why the OP was pulled over is due more to the tints and out-of-state plates. They've really been cracking down on tints (saftey issue for the cops). Exhaust alone will not get you pulled over around here unless it's stupid loud, or you're breaking other laws. A simple spintech muffler on an otherwise stock car won't get you hassled around here.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club

Most cops suck and are gonna **** with us no matter what we do were in sports cars, and getting more *** then them Thats how i look at it, pay the ticket a be done till the next time u see the *****
Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Launching!

He is just pissed cause he probaly drives a prius.....Or his wife is a stripper at Hustlers. Either way he was just being a dick!!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your tint is legal in your home state then its legal there. You DO NOT have to register your vehicle in the state you are stationed in. Again DO NOT.

You do however have to follow your state of record laws. If they give you hassle its bc they dont know the laws.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by bballr4567
If they give you hassle its bc they dont know the laws.
Wouldn't be the first time.

One of my friends is a Northbrook cop, and he was recently telling me about a cop from another town that pulled him over while he was driving his personal vehicle. The on-duty cop tried to give my friend a ticket for something that wasn't illegal in the first place, until my friend corrected him.

Cops are NOT right 100% of the time. There are just too many vehicle/roadway laws for every cop to possibily know every one of them.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the state cop had nothing better to do that day. LOL, what else is new right?
Is the window tint on the side windows? I heard it was ok on the back glass just not really on the front. He may have had a complaint about the tints but otherwise the rest is total BS. If he didn't give you a ticket, screw it and not worry about it.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Wouldn't be the first time.

One of my friends is a Northbrook cop, and he was recently telling me about a cop from another town that pulled him over while he was driving his personal vehicle. The on-duty cop tried to give my friend a ticket for something that wasn't illegal in the first place, until my friend corrected him.

Cops are NOT right 100% of the time. There are just too many vehicle/roadway laws for every cop to possibily know every one of them.
Exactly. Im stationed in KY but my car is registered in TN where they only have a rear plate. I go home to TX on leave and I was written a warning for not having a front plate and tint to dark. It was a HUGE hassle but after about 4 months of fighting I finally got the ticket dropped. The cop was a VERY VERY small town sheriff who had no clue about TN laws.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One time, I got a ticket for having no front plate, and I paid it.

Without making a post here.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you just had a jerk cop. I thought the rule for tint was one or the other, pretty sure it's either the back is tinted or the sides but not both. I never heard that you cannot tint any windows whatsoever.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that's harsh. Maybe I should rethink the Loudmouth 2 catback I want to buy this summer then. The cops around my town already hate me enough as it is due to my past experiences.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Teching In

He looked for a front plate but I have the billet grill so there are no mounting brackets. If I needed a front plate one of my buddies owns a custom printing/grafix shop where he could make a reflective sticker plate to please them. Im going to fight the tickets Its bull My tires didnt spin that much. There wasent even tread or anything left. It was still slick from the snow the day before. I even printed out a weather forcast to show the conditions @ the time I received the fine. What do you all think, would it hold up?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes4321
He is just pissed cause he probaly drives a prius.....Or his wife is a stripper at Hustlers. Either way he was just being a dick!!
Why would he be mad about that?

And with the tint. You can't have any tint on windshield or front driver's or passengers windows UNLESS you carry in your car at all times a letter from the eye doctor stating some condition and I think it has to be ok'd by dot, OR your car was manufactured before Jan 1, 1982. This is coming from my step-mom who works for the info hotline for IDOT.

I used to carry a copy of the page from the DOT laws book about the date thing in my '79 El Camino and loved whippin it out and goin BAM!

Then again those rules were like 4 years ago so it could be different since it IS Illinois.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Any none stock exhaust is illegal huh? Then why dont they pull over EVERY ricer there is?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:51 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Were the tires spinning as you drove out into the street? Or did the stop spinning before you left your driveway? You can spin the tires all you want in your own driveway.

That's why I dislike driving the Trans Am through Illinois. I have too many "violations" according to the state's laws.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Illinois state laws?