Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

buying a z28 in chicago, im from texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a z28 in chicago, im from texas

Ive heard some bad stories involving rust problems and was just curious what yall know about it. To begin with im probably getting a 01 z28 m6 ttops, loaded, with 46000 miles from chicago. The added mods are a lid, catback and lt headers. Im having a buddy look at it since im 1000 miles away and was just curious about particular problems like rust from northern areas. All the pictures look really clean that ive seen. Whats your take on it? Thanks for the help in advance guys.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With those low miles I am guessing it was garages winters. As long as salt doesn't sit on it for a long time it should be ok. Looks like with those miles you wont have any problems. What zip code is it from? Maybe someone on here will know about it.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

i dont know the area code, the owner said he is located 10 miles from o'hare airport, the vehicle is red with black zo6 rims it seems its only driven about 6k - 8k miles a year. Im currently trying to get a buddy from up there to look at the car before i fly up.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was by Midway I'd say I'll go take a look at it for ya, but o'hare is a bit out of my way. As far as rust these cars are built with a lot of materials that don't rust, so I'd assume you'll be fine. The only areas I can think of would be the under body and the quarter panels.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info, i would def have more faith in someone like you checking it out then my friend, i dont think he knows much about cars. I have to see when my other friend gets back to chicago bc he knows cars. prob be another week or two tho...but if they dont i might be offering someone 50$ for someone on here too lol
Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell the owner to take it to a local garage to have a full vehicle inspection done on it. that'll tell you in list form all the issues with the vehicle and only cost $75 or so.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

i thought about that...any shop recommendations
Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he's from ohare then you might want speedinc to take a look at it, they might do it call Frazier and see what their fees are! you never know they might do it. They are a sponsor of this board tooo.
Goodluck
Old 01-26-2008, 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Yeah what city or zip code is the car located at?
Old 01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think anyone from this board thats pretty local would go look at it for you just to get a rough idea of what shapes its in. I know I would but I dont know everything but I can tell if its been beat to hell and drove through winters. Speed would probably look at it and see what shapes its in so your definetly in a good area to look for a car with all the shops we have around here including people who can tell what shape the cars in
Old 01-26-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

is this a ebay car? seller name jerry60477. or is his alias mike, mario, or maurice. Cause if it is, i wouldnt buy anything from him cause he is a fraud. i live in georgia, i drove 700 miles to tinley park il. which is 10 min. from ohare. before i drove up there i gave him a $500 deposit, drove up there with a trailor, he told me car was perfect nothing wrong with it, car needed nothing. i get up there car was leaking oil and antifreeze bad. car was also knocking, guy wouldnt give deposit back or anything, drove all the way back with empty trailor. just dont want you to get scammed like i did. make sure you check into them names. And hopefully someone on here or your friend can check it out thoroughly for you. Good luck!!! sorry for not mentioning earlier. it was a 98 gold z28 i was going to buy off this guy. when i was up there he also stated to me that he had more z28's and trans am in his shop getting stuff done to them. this guy is a fraud

Last edited by zrocket_99; 01-26-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zrocket_99
is this a ebay car? seller name jerry60477. or is his alias mike, mario, or maurice. Cause if it is, i wouldnt buy anything from him cause he is a fraud. i live in georgia, i drove 700 miles to tinley park il. which is 10 min. from ohare. before i drove up there i gave him a $500 deposit, drove up there with a trailor, he told me car was perfect nothing wrong with it, car needed nothing. i get up there car was leaking oil and antifreeze bad. car was also knocking, guy wouldnt give deposit back or anything, drove all the way back with empty trailor. just dont want you to get scammed like i did. make sure you check into them names. And hopefully someone on here or your friend can check it out thoroughly for you. Good luck!!!
Tinley is about 25 min from O'hare. Tinley is way south-west suburb and O'hare is north-west. I just wanted to mention that so the potential buyer knows. Thanks for the info on this guy!!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

oh ok, didnt know cause the guy told me it was like 10-15 mins. from him, cause at first i was going to fly up there and look at it, and he was going to pick me up from ohare. sorry for distance error. but still something to look into about this guy.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

no its a college kid named justin i think, im pretty sure its in decent shape but can never be to careful. He seems really nice and trustful. ill keep this in mind, i talked to my dad whos a electrical engineer here and he said he had a friend up there that is a mechanic and he gives the like millions of dollars of work to this guy so he would try and get him to look at it and check it out. I really appreciate all your replies tho if your ever in the dallas area shoot me a pm and ill buy yall a beer or something. I might pm someone or post a thread asking someone locally to check it out if this falls through. I went and looked at an 02 z28 in arlington, the guy wanted 15k for it so i wasnt going to pay that much, when i test drove it it backfired a couple times. Had a fresh coat of paint so i figured it was wrecked but it was really clean looking interior and exterior. I got on it at about a 10 mph roll and shifted to second it didnt really seem to break loose at all but had descent pull. Cant wait till i get this one in chicago in a couple weeks hopefully!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

good luck man. i will take you up on that beer also, if i ever over that way. LOL!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah...ohare is actually a little way from ohare..it is longer than 25 minutes, I live right next to Tinley Park..My 93 has been in Illinois its entire life, and is in really good shape...it also only has 85k miles on it, but you should be totally fine.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zrocket_99
is this a ebay car? seller name jerry60477. or is his alias mike, mario, or maurice. Cause if it is, i wouldnt buy anything from him cause he is a fraud. i live in georgia, i drove 700 miles to tinley park il. which is 10 min. from ohare. before i drove up there i gave him a $500 deposit, drove up there with a trailor, he told me car was perfect nothing wrong with it, car needed nothing. i get up there car was leaking oil and antifreeze bad. car was also knocking, guy wouldnt give deposit back or anything, drove all the way back with empty trailor. just dont want you to get scammed like i did. make sure you check into them names. And hopefully someone on here or your friend can check it out thoroughly for you. Good luck!!! sorry for not mentioning earlier. it was a 98 gold z28 i was going to buy off this guy. when i was up there he also stated to me that he had more z28's and trans am in his shop getting stuff done to them. this guy is a fraud
Gold z28, tinley, shop with a bunch of f-bodies...That's Mario. Care if I qoute your post on another forum where mario frequents? He's banned from here.

Last edited by b00sted; 01-27-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

the new owner will post on here about the car as soon as he gets a chance,,, the truth wil come out asap... the new owner is a friend of fast eddies .. he loves the car and there isnt **** wrong with it.. this ****** had no money to pay for the rest of the car,, came with his hillbilly dad and his dad said he wasnt paying for the car.. i asked why and he said the engine was loud, lol and it was leaking oil and antifreeze.. i asked him kindly to show me where its leaking at and he couldnt show me, he said oh i know its leaking.. so then he said the motor was untouched,, but yet the motor had heads and cam.. hahaha.. so then i offered to put up my title of the car against his dads money, which i never seen he had, that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car, at first his dad said yes,, but then he said he doesnt know any mechanics hear, so i said fine, we will go to atlanta and go to your mechanic and if he finds anything wrong with the car you get a free car, if he doesnt , i take your money and bring the car home... as soon as i said that he said, welllll im not going to go thru all that,,, hahahah,, and i said yeah thats what i thought, u are full of **** and cant even afford the car... car was sold the next day after they left and the new owner loves it..

sprayed, i cant go on that sight,, can you please ask him about the bet i offered his dad? i was willing to even take the car to atlanta ,thats how sure i was about that car..

these ******* were at my house for 5 hours, came there at 6 am.. drove the car 4 different times, kept going to their truck and say they have talk about it,.. i have 2 other guys there as witnesses that were laughing at them because they had no clue how to bs themselves out of the sale..
His side of the story.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Wow!!

Boosted you should be a COP!!

**** doesn't get by you?!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dshag
Ive heard some bad stories involving rust problems and was just curious what yall know about it. To begin with im probably getting a 01 z28 m6 ttops, loaded, with 46000 miles from chicago. The added mods are a lid, catback and lt headers. Im having a buddy look at it since im 1000 miles away and was just curious about particular problems like rust from northern areas. All the pictures look really clean that ive seen. Whats your take on it? Thanks for the help in advance guys.
I bought my 2002 trans am from Texas last year from XtremeBBQ...I flew down there, bought it and drove it back home....

If you buy are you going to drive it home???

I'm sure any of us here on the boards can go look at it for ya....including myself....