Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Friend killed in car accident last night...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Friend killed in car accident last night...

My good friend went to Princeton Il to see his daughter last night and let his friend drive his slightly modded C4 vette. They were going fast (not sure how fast) and downshifted accidentally causing the rear tires to basically lock up and the car flipped, killing our friend instantly. The car is totalled obviously, and my friends are pretty shaken up. I have to go to my shop, the car is being brought back there and we need to get some stuff out of it so it can be sent to the yard. Its gonna be hard to see, my friend says its just covered in blood and skin and everything. I'm still kind of shocked, the driver who died was a good friends cousin too...things are gonna be rough for awhile. I'm not even sure why I'm typing this, its just crazy. One minute you're just sitting around, the next you're dealing with this.

Be careful guys, this can happen to any of us.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:12 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for your loss man. We all take life for granted alot, and it can be over in a split second. Keep your head up man.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry to hear man...
Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry about your loss man.

Can someone explain though, how downshifting can cause the tires to lock up... was it a malfunction, or just downshifting too fast that would have caused that?

The driver made it? This has got to be very hard on him.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Shifting down in gears is the exact opposite of shifting up. It takes more engine power to keep traveling at the same speed... If you downshift by mistake at highway speeds, into the wrong gear... Engine RPMs will Spike, but your rear tires RPMs will decrease..... Too much and it starts a skid.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Again sorry for your loss man... didnt mean to hijack the thread here.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I lost my best friend Chad Peterson almost a year ago. He was driving his Camaro home, something happened(no one is sure) and his car lost control and slammed into a tree. He was killed instantly from massive head trauma. He was 22 and was only 3 minutes from his house.
I have never gotten over this. I grew up with him from the time we were only a few months old, went to school together, rode bikes, drove cars, played pool, Music, art...
Myself, my twin brother Jason, and Chad were extremely close, like brothers. His mom and I are really close as well, and that first visit with her was one of the saddest moments of my life, following his funeral. Myself, and 5 of his closest friends were Pallbearers in his funeral, and I gave his Eulogy. I didnt talk to the crowd, I talked to him, I had to tell him goodbye. That isnt something you plan when you are setting up that roll race on the highway, or even when you are making your morning commute. The best you can do is always leave your loved ones on a good note, and if you are going to take the risks, that you calculate them, and weigh them against your odds.

The hard days are just beginning, just be supportive of each other, and their families. Make sure his daughter grows up knowing her father, and try and take care of her the way he would have.

Im so sorry to hear about this. Hang in there man.

my condolences.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear about your terrible loss. Are you sure you want to see the car if it hasn't been cleaned out yet? This is just me but I would ask a friend to clean it out and then go see it. I know I wouldn't want to see all that if it was a friend of mine.

Again sorry to about your loss.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about your loss. I've lost a friend to a car accident 18 years ago. I still miss him.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn Sam...sorry to hear.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

May God have Mersey on his soul and give his relatives the strength to overcome
This grate loss
Old 02-16-2008, 03:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's awful, dude. You will all be in my prayers.

I can only express my sympathies, I'm really sorry.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. One of my best friends passed away in May when he lost control of his car coming around a corner. It hurts!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

god bless all involved......................remember the good times you had together
Old 02-16-2008, 08:30 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

We have the car in my shop now, its not too bad as far as the blood and stuff. It was upside down so none of the blood really got on the car. The car is totalled though. I think I wasn't totally clear on who did what: This is my friends car, he let 2 of our friends take it out, they wrecked and the driver died. The guy who owns the car wasn't even in it, but according to some sources he will end up being responsible for basically everything ($$$). He's just numb now, he's lost a good friend, his car, and maybe alot of money. If the passenger hasn't volunteered to go along for the ride, he would have gone and who knows how he would have came out. The only good I see coming out of this is that some of my more "wild" friends are going to chill out a bit, and stop being so crazy.

Thanks for the kind words, I'll pass them along.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry to hear the bad news man. Strange, I was just in Ladd right next door to Princeton last night.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for everyones loss. It is terrible to lose a friend, without losing your car and money too. You are a good man to be able to have to look at that car at your shop every day until it is hauled off. I do not think I would be able to do that.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I've becomed somewhat hardened emotionally, but I can honestly say I haven't lost anyone really close to me yet. I mean like really close, like a parent or something.

My shop is the only realistic place we have to put the car and get the parts out we need. There is a little blood here and there, not bad but its weird knowing what happened in that car when you look at it.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Sad news, I feel for all of you!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that man.

I went into first by mistake once in a BMW and locked up the rears. Thankfully I was not going that fast (well under the speed limit). If I remember right I was went one gear down to many is all.

Again sorry man.

Quick Reply: Friend killed in car accident last night...