Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinios People - Question

Old 02-24-2008, 02:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illinios People - Question

Thinking of moving from LA, CA - to around Carlyle, IL. (long story)

Anyway, been doing research and would like to know if smog testing is harder to pass in IL than in CA - and if they really do practice the "if you don't register on time your license gets suspended" thing that I've been reading about.

Just would like to know 'cause my car is my baby and I would like to drive her still, but CA is a pita to get registered in the current state she's in. Wondering if it would be as hard or harder to do there in IL.

Lemme know...

Thx.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as there's no check engine light or abs light, you'll pass. They don't use a dyno or sniffers any more.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by 94blackcoupe
Anyway, been doing research and would like to know if smog testing is harder to pass in IL than in CA
CA is the hardest state in the country to pass. IL is one of the easiest.

IL is VERY easy. We have no sniffer test, no dyno test, no visual test. They've recently stopped all testing for '95 and earlier cars too, and judging by your screen name, looks like you have a '94 so lucky you. Now, from what I understand they are or were still testing '95 and earlier cars that hadn't previously been in compliance up to a certain point. Not sure if they are still doing that though.

The only thing we have is an OBD scan test for '96+ cars, and a gas cap test (they just check for vapor leaks). The OBD scan test can be passed no problem with ANY mods and even with zero emissions equpitment. All it takes is the proper tuning. And shop in IL with HP Tuners or LS1 Edit can fix you up. MANY people here have passed with no cats, no EGR, no AIR, duals with dumps at the axle, massive cams, dripping fuel out of the tail pipes. No worries here.

Also, I'm not sure where Carlyle, IL is, but there's only about 9 or 10 counties in IL that even have testing. It's not the whole state.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like Carlyle is down by St Louis. I think the only emissions testing in IL is done up by Chicago. No emissions testing FTW!!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea if where you are moving to is far enough from ST Louis there will be no testing.We live 50 miles south of Chicago in Kankakee county and there is no testing here at all.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Carlyle is 2 hours from St. Louis (with traffic..it's like an hour and a half realistically)

If you go to St. Louis on a map and go east, you will hit Carlyle (how far it is from St. Louis depends on how close in you are on Google Maps - lol). I don't think they are far enough away to not do emissions testing (St. Louis and most of the counties around there in Missouri do testing.)

If they did do testing, would it be standard sniffer/dyno emissions testing? or like you said before with just testing for 95 and up OBDII cars?

Thanks for the info...

Last edited by 94blackcoupe; 02-24-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Teching In

im about 10-15 minutes south of carlyle in nashville. no testing on anything. if ya have any questions about the area i might be able to help ya out a bit.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive through there on my trips home sometimes. Must be somethin' really important if you're willing to move from LA to Carlyle LOL.

Although I did get a bomb sandwich at the grocery store once

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Illinios People - Question