Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Legal Advise Needed, please help a ls1'er out

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Advise Needed, please help a ls1'er out

Ok, so about a month ago i was coming home rather late in my car...there were about 5 guys and 3 girls in te middle of the road right in front of my house....i slow down as one of the gals looks like my younger sister....as i slow down a guy starts swearing and throwing his arms up at me....so i slam on the brakes proceed to the guy and as im walking towards him his other buddies along with him start at me....he throws his hands up and before he could hit me i KO'D, him. Cops/ambulance come....no tickets or charges were pressed. Now a month later im getting notices that there is a battery charge against me. What are my options? Also the cop that came that night said he didnt think the guy would press charges because seeing as he had 4 guys with him against just me it would be a mod action felony against him.

Any advice insight as to which route id greatly appreciate....if your an attorney i maybe interested in hiring?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Find an attorney. It was self-defense. If you fear for your safety, then you were threatened. The guy can be charged w/ threat.

I don't know. LOL and GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He was in his car...passing by...didn't have to stop and then proceeded to walk towards the guy. Kinda hard to plead self defense on this one.

Even if the guy didn't press charges, the state could have. Go talk to a lawyer. Mine charged $500 and I got $500 in court costs/fines. I got off with 6 months court supervision on a first offense and a misdemeanor count.

Is it a felony or misdemeanor charge?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn man thats messed up. He had intentions of hurting you so you put him in his place...and you get in trouble.

I have a lawyer that I've used and I give his card to everyone. Hes Will County though, not sure where you're at? PM me if you want his info.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Launching!

its a misdemeanor charge, and i agree i shouldnt have got out....i guess i just have to face the music, i mean i feel good knowing i taught the guy a lesson. but damn... looks like its going to be costly...he got his *** kicked suck it up...dont call the cops..especiallly wen you were the one looking for trouble
Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RippinZ121
Damn man thats messed up. He had intentions of hurting you so you put him in his place...and you get in trouble.

I have a lawyer that I've used and I give his card to everyone. Hes Will County though, not sure where you're at? PM me if you want his info.
I appreciate that man, however im in Mchenry County
Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

dude tht guys a *****.....he got wht he deserved so he needs to deal with it and not call the cops like a little *****....so where does this ***** live?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Trevor, Wisconsin...trust me ive already been thinking im going to pay for a lawyer and court costs...i so want to just whip his *** again!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

1 offence is always a slap on the rist your get a misdemeanor with some fines and supervison ......ur be all right by cost money now which blows ***
good luck
Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you can still play the self defense card. You thought it was your sister walking with them so you stopped the car to see if it was her. If that guy didn't want any part of you he shouldn't have opened his mouth, or even tried to fight with you. Did he ever say he didn't want to fight? Sounds to me like you can pull it off. Self defense.

I would lawyer up and fight it. You don't want a criminal record dude, fight that ****.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminBird99
Ok, so about a month ago i was coming home rather late in my car...there were about 5 guys and 3 girls in te middle of the road right in front of my house....i slow down as one of the gals looks like my younger sister....as i slow down a guy starts swearing and throwing his arms up at me....so i slam on the brakes proceed to the guy and as im walking towards him his other buddies along with him start at me....he throws his hands up and before he could hit me i KO'D, him. Cops/ambulance come....no tickets or charges were pressed. Now a month later im getting notices that there is a battery charge against me. What are my options? Also the cop that came that night said he didnt think the guy would press charges because seeing as he had 4 guys with him against just me it would be a mod action felony against him.

Any advice insight as to which route id greatly appreciate....if your an attorney i maybe interested in hiring?
\ if they were out in front of your house you can say that you went up to them to see what the problem was and they came at you. i think you should be able to play the self defense card
Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

If I were in your shoes, I'd totally get a lawyer so you can explore options.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Launching!

definately guys....i appreciate your help! Just sucks having to pay because of someone else being sue happy...when it was their fault to begin with
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

I think you thinking your sister was there will only help you, otherwise the other guys are right, you had no reason to stop.

Get a lawyer, you will be okay.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

That sucks man, I was almost in your shoes, 3 guys were messing with my friends when i showed up and put one to sleep. Got letters about him suing, told him i got a lawyer and explained how he had no way of winning being the fact there were people everywhere seeing him and his friends beat the hell out of my friends so i was off the hook. Good luck man
Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

who filed the charges? the state or him? sounds like you ahve a pretty good case. was you sister there? was it truly in front of your house? if yes to both of those, I would just go to court, plea not guilty, ask for a apointed lawyer (free). tell your story to the judge, he will think to himself (hmm if that was my daughter I would have done he same thing). if he is sueing you for damages, then go get a real lawyer, lol.

Quick Reply: Legal Advise Needed, please help a ls1'er out