Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

iis it hard to own a car in the military esp. marines

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iis it hard to own a car in the military esp. marines

ok ... so i enlisted the other day and ship for parris the end of march ... but my main concern is owning a car in the military ... is it hard ... is it worth it ... i only plan on being active for about six years ... i just wanna know like do u guys drive your cars across the country when u get moved around? or do u store them or like i dunno how does that work?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i go on deployment i put my car in storage on base or out in town. if you are PCSing then you can either drive it across country or have it shipped either way you get reimbursed when you are done moving with your travel claim. oh and good luck at P.I. devil dog
Old 12-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

thanks im excited as hell
Old 12-14-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 cars and 2 bikes at the moment. So I guess that answers your question.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

3 cars a boat and a big house
Old 12-14-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have brought 2 Camaros and a Suburban over to Germany with me. Only one was paid for though
Old 12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

youll see once youre in the fleet for a while. any jarhead can go into debt and most do on their vehicles because they live outside there means. i know of at least 3 lance corporals that have c5 zo6s. 1 pfc that has a h/c c5,04 cobra,and a b18 civic. so yes you can have a vehicle in the corps. just dont be stupid like these guys were
Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

I own ****** 5 cars. Going 4 years strong. You can for sure function just fine without a set of wheels, but having a way to get around, sure is nice.
The best part is military insurance. Companies like USAA, are only open to military people, let its a completely civilian company. Im 23 years old, and pay $22 a month for a '97 full size chevy.

FYI, You havnt even got to boot yet, and your already planning on your "6 year service" Thats crap. Dont go in, expecting to get out. Go in, with an open mind.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

true ... but i really wanna be a cop so im gonna have to leave sometime
Old 12-26-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

If you don't have a car yet, don't get one yet. Wait until you are done with boot camp, MCT and MOS school at the very least. You can't take it to boot camp with you and the same goes with MCT. Most MOS schools don't even let you bring one with you, let alone drive it. I went my first 3 years with out a car, and I didn't even join till I was 22. I sold both before I came in so I wouldn't have the hassle. I was at a Navy base first, where I didn't need it because cabs were cheap, public transportation was great, and everything else was with in walking distance. When you leave your MOS school, you are probably going to have to go to another part of the country, and that means driving your *** there in your POV, and they might not give you the time to do so. Just not worth it man, live with as few attachments/responsibilites as you can for as long as you can muster it. I made it over 3 years, then I had to: got married and moved off base. Plus you have to count on deploying, and if you are not married you will have to put it in storage where it will get fucked up (the free one the military provides) or you will pay out the *** for storage.
Wait until you get to your first duty station, and wait about a month or more. Then talk around and see if you REALLY need one, or if you just want one. Then get a corporal or sergeant to take you shopping so you don't get ripped off. USAA or Navy Fed are probably the best way to go for your loan. Also keep in mind, if you live in the barracks (read: if you are single and not at least an E-5) you will be parking in an outside, uncovered, parking lot with a lot of other people. People are going to dent it and run away. Just some food for thought.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
If you don't have a car yet, don't get one yet. Wait until you are done with boot camp, MCT and MOS school at the very least. You can't take it to boot camp with you and the same goes with MCT. Most MOS schools don't even let you bring one with you, let alone drive it. I went my first 3 years with out a car, and I didn't even join till I was 22. I sold both before I came in so I wouldn't have the hassle. I was at a Navy base first, where I didn't need it because cabs were cheap, public transportation was great, and everything else was with in walking distance. When you leave your MOS school, you are probably going to have to go to another part of the country, and that means driving your *** there in your POV, and they might not give you the time to do so. Just not worth it man, live with as few attachments/responsibilites as you can for as long as you can muster it. I made it over 3 years, then I had to: got married and moved off base. Plus you have to count on deploying, and if you are not married you will have to put it in storage where it will get fucked up (the free one the military provides) or you will pay out the *** for storage.
Wait until you get to your first duty station, and wait about a month or more. Then talk around and see if you REALLY need one, or if you just want one. Then get a corporal or sergeant to take you shopping so you don't get ripped off. USAA or Navy Fed are probably the best way to go for your loan. Also keep in mind, if you live in the barracks (read: if you are single and not at least an E-5) you will be parking in an outside, uncovered, parking lot with a lot of other people. People are going to dent it and run away. Just some food for thought.

They man speaks the truth. I was a DUMBASS when I got in at 20. I just bought my WS6 and wanna know how much I drove it in the first 3 years of the military. ZERO! The car literally sat at 15K miles until 2006 in a garage while I paid $500/mo of my E-3 pay (which was basically a check!).

.....oo the things I would have done different
Old 12-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foxriderry
ok ... so i enlisted the other day and ship for parris the end of march ... but my main concern is owning a car in the military ... is it hard ... is it worth it ... i only plan on being active for about six years ... i just wanna know like do u guys drive your cars across the country when u get moved around? or do u store them or like i dunno how does that work?
lol @ your main concern. What a boot… have fun bro, hopefully everything will turn out alright for you and you’ll become a Marine. I’ve heard that boot camp becomes easier every couple of years..

As others have said, shouldn’t be worrying about a car at the moment the Corps will give you everything you need. Wait until you hit the fleet and take it from there…
Old 12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Launching!

although pretty much all of what's being said is true, don't let it scare you away from getting something decent (note: DECENT NOT SUPERBADASS) unless you just got some cash laying around. it all depends on where you go. i got stuck out in 29 Palms without a car (i had one it was just back home) and that place sucks without one. Takes at least an hour to get anywhere fun, longer usually (ie LA, Vegas, San Diego, etc).

it all depends on where you get put. i've seen a lot of marines get in, get a good look at their NCO's rides, then try to match up without the pay. and although your NCO's are SUPPOSED to know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to finances, don't listen to all of them. common sense should dictate if someone sounds like a retard. i was a PFC, and thanks to my family history of employment, i knew more about money than most of my SSgts did.

i'm on my 2nd deployment right now, last time i had an 02 Civic Si, so it wasn't too much to hold back home, but this time around i've been resisting buying parts out the ***, because i want to pay it off. if you get a nice car like a Camaro or a T/A, just save and don't jump into the aftermarket world, and deploy, THEN spend your goodie money.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i found there was only one advantage to having a car when i was a lowly booter: girls.

when i had no ride i watched all the other guys get the girls cuz they had a car, which made me have to actually work to get chicks to notice. but on the bright side i didn't have a car payment or car ins to worry about on my pathetic booter salary. when i got a car it was like their panties just fell off. you have to keep in mind that the female booters are in the same boat you're in. it sounds very immature i know, but it's science. ask anyone who has been a booter, the girls like the guys that can give them a ride. other than that there wasn't any real advantage. the public transit was good, cheap and you didn't have to dig in your pocket to find the keys to it when you were drunk/jk either way, good luck and i hope you enjoy your first first six years in the military as much as i did.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigT2002
They man speaks the truth. I was a DUMBASS when I got in at 20. I just bought my WS6 and wanna know how much I drove it in the first 3 years of the military. ZERO! The car literally sat at 15K miles until 2006 in a garage while I paid $500/mo of my E-3 pay (which was basically a check!).

.....oo the things I would have done different
yep and i didnt drive my car the first year and a half in, and that was due to my MOS school. it all depends on where u go to school for what field youre going into, so just keep in mind if u want to get a car u might not be driving for a while. focus on becoming a marine and not on the other stuff
Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Nope, I have had my TA since 2000. I just have my old lady schooled up on how to keep it maintained while I am gone. The only thing I have ever had to worry about is a meth pump that siezed up. Everything else has been good. I have neglected it a bit especially after this last deployment.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm meeting with a recruiter tomorrow to consider enlisting. My concern is if I sign up for 4 years and be done with it will they own me and I have to do and go wherever they want? Sorry OP if i'm highjacking your thread. If I go my car will be with my grandpa cause he has experience with these type of cars and the up keep.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I'm meeting with a recruiter tomorrow to consider enlisting. My concern is if I sign up for 4 years and be done with it will they own me and I have to do and go wherever they want? Sorry OP if i'm highjacking your thread. If I go my car will be with my grandpa cause he has experience with these type of cars and the up keep.
while youre in they pretty much do own you yes, you still have a little choice but the needs of the marine corps come first. if they tell you youre going overseas, then youre going overseas. if you get out after four years you still have four more inactive time, which means they can call you up if necessary. just be prepared to fully commit
Old 01-06-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Bandit
while youre in they pretty much do own you yes, you still have a little choice but the needs of the marine corps come first. if they tell you youre going overseas, then youre going overseas. if you get out after four years you still have four more inactive time, which means they can call you up if necessary. just be prepared to fully commit
Okay well I don't have any issues with that. Does everyone get to go overseas or is it only those that choose a combat position? Sorry OP i'm gonna start my own thread.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Okay well I don't have any issues with that. Does everyone get to go overseas or is it only those that choose a combat position? Sorry OP i'm gonna start my own thread.
pretty much every job in the marine corps is combat related. you either are a grunt or you support them. almost all mos's will get there time overseas. ive been in less than 3 years and am going back to the sandbox in a few months. im a huey/cobra maintainer.

Quick Reply: iis it hard to own a car in the military esp. marines