Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Tint/Exhaust laws for out of state cars?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint/Exhaust laws for out of state cars?

Putting this question here, since we collectively should have more experience with this issue. I recently bought my wife a GTO, and it still has a temp tag on it. We're titling it in Florida, but are living in Louisiana for about one more month. Tonight, we were driving home from Wal-Mart, and were pulled over. The cop didn't care that the car is insured in Florida, and that we're titling it there. She "let us off" with a verbal warning for the tint (she tested it at 18-19%) and LA's law is 40%. Also, she said the exhaust is definitely illegal. We were told that she could still give us a ticket, and to expect to be pulled over again before we move.

My question is this:
Can a cop give you a citation for something about you car like tint or exhaust not being compliant in that state, even if it is where it is titled? I know the tint isn't legal in Florida, and I'm fine with a ticket in Florida, but how can a Louisiana cop write a ticket for an out of state car like that? I mean, that can't cite you for not having a safety inspection just because you're in this state, just like it would be ridiculous to change tint for every new state you drive through. I'm pretty sure that I could have a ticket thrown out in court if they write one for violating LA state law. It just ticket us off, and I wanted to vent. Let me know what you think, and if there's a police officer that can chime in, that would be awesome. I don't want to get cocky thinking I'm right when I'm not.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Teching In

they basically can write you a ticket due to you driving in their state and you have to abide by their laws. pretty stupid imo but thats just how it is. i've gotten lucky using my military excuse a few times
Old 01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Launching!

speaking of, this happened to me when i was driving from Oklahoma to california, got pulled over in AZ with temp tags and a tint. cop was retarded, cuz the tag specifically said day bought, month bought, and year bought on it, but he said it was expired (bought the car a week before this ) and gave me a warning, and a fix it ticket for the tint. i got back to work after leave, called AZ HP, and explained i was driving through and registered in OK and going to CA, and she said i still had to pay the ticket and abide by their rules. i got pissed off and hung up on her.

needless to say, i can see the future now: i'm going to be going through there again in a couple months, and they're going to pull me over, and arrest me for a fix-it ticket that i didn't pay over a year ago. there's probably a warrant or something.

i don't know how to answer this question properly, but if i get arrested on my way home for leave for a tint-warrant, i'll let you know.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

North Dakota doesn't have emissions or safety inspections. Utah can not issue me a ticket for either one. but i have been lucky and have not been pulled over yet for my exhaust , or lack there of, not having a cat, and tint. i was pulled over for not having a front plate. i said my thing about not drilling in to the bumper of a collector car and what not... the officer told me to remove my tail light covers & let me go. as far as tint. i was told that if you are living in the state you have to comply, as far as driving through... you can take it either way.. they are either profiling you, just being board, doing their job, or making their quota
Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I'm thinking it was a quota thing. Like I said before, I don't see how they can ticket you for something like tint if you are compliant in the state the car is titled in. So, am I going to get a ticket some day for not having a Louisiana safety inspection sticker on my Florida car? That wouldn't surprise me with the way this state is run
Old 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
speaking of, this happened to me when i was driving from Oklahoma to california, got pulled over in AZ with temp tags and a tint. cop was retarded, cuz the tag specifically said day bought, month bought, and year bought on it, but he said it was expired (bought the car a week before this ) and gave me a warning, and a fix it ticket for the tint. i got back to work after leave, called AZ HP, and explained i was driving through and registered in OK and going to CA, and she said i still had to pay the ticket and abide by their rules. i got pissed off and hung up on her.

needless to say, i can see the future now: i'm going to be going through there again in a couple months, and they're going to pull me over, and arrest me for a fix-it ticket that i didn't pay over a year ago. there's probably a warrant or something.

i don't know how to answer this question properly, but if i get arrested on my way home for leave for a tint-warrant, i'll let you know.
Heh- that happens, hit me up and we'll start a fund to take care of that. That's exactly what I mean- where do they get off telling you that even though the car is titled in a different state, and has to follow that state's emissions/noise/etc regulations, that you have to follow their emissions, etc laws when you drive through? "Welcome to Arizona Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to remove your tint, and add a front plate if you want the privilege of driving on our roads."
Old 01-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Emissions are a federal requirement. Pretty sure you can get a ticket anywhere for tampering with emissions equipment. Rarely enforced out here in Hawaii since there is no testing. Although your car is registered out of state, you still have to abide by local laws. In Hawaii, you still have to have a state inspection if your car is registered out of state.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Reckless
Emissions are a federal requirement. Pretty sure you can get a ticket anywhere for tampering with emissions equipment. Rarely enforced out here in Hawaii since there is no testing. Although your car is registered out of state, you still have to abide by local laws. In Hawaii, you still have to have a state inspection if your car is registered out of state.
Well, the car is still emissions compliant. We were just told it was illegal and weren't given a reason behind it. I'm not too worried since we're leaving shortly, it just ticked me off.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by majeskyb
Heh- that happens, hit me up and we'll start a fund to take care of that. That's exactly what I mean- where do they get off telling you that even though the car is titled in a different state, and has to follow that state's emissions/noise/etc regulations, that you have to follow their emissions, etc laws when you drive through? "Welcome to Arizona Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to remove your tint, and add a front plate if you want the privilege of driving on our roads."
haha. instead of my 1 phone call, i'll ask to get on ls1tech.com for bail

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tint/Exhaust laws for out of state cars?