Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marine killed in Parachute accident from my unit.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Marine killed in Parachute accident from my unit.

Marine from west of Boynton Beach dies after parachute doesn’t deploy -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Originally Posted by Sun Sentinel
WEST BOYNTON - When the Gulf War started in 1991, Sgt. Jeremiah D. McGraw of the U.S. Marine Corps wore his fatigues throughout the entire 44-day conflict.

He was 4 years old.

"This was something he always wanted to do," said his father Tim McGraw.

McGraw, 22, a Selected Reserve Marine assigned to 4th Air-Naval Gunfire Liaison Company in West Palm Beach died Thursday when his parachute didn't open during a training exercise in Hardee County.

He is survived by his wife, two brothers, and parents Tim and Juanita McGraw.

"You couldn't come up with any obstacle or challenge that would slow him down," said older brother Josh McGraw, surrounded by friends and fellow Marines Saturday at the family's apartment west of Boynton Beach.

According to a release from the Hardee County Sheriff's Office, the Marines were jumping from a C130 aircraft when someone called 911 to report that a Marine's parachute didn't deploy.

McGraw was taken to Florida Hospital Wauchula, where he was pronounced dead.

His father said his parachute tangled with another Marine's. He was able to break free but the backup parachute didn't open and McGraw died on impact, Tim McGraw said.

A joint investigation is being conducted by military personnel and the Hardee County Sheriff's Office.

The training exercise was being held in the Peace River town of Wauchula.

At his home west of Boynton Beach Saturday his brother Josh McGraw, also a Marine, was preparing the Marine uniform his brother will wear for the services, while fellow Marines told up stories of McGraw's selflessness.

At his young age had already climbed to the rank of sergeant and is expected to become a lieutenant posthumously. He attended the Officers College and had a military career drawn out before him, his family said.

McGraw was making up drill time he had missed because of classes to become an officer.

"He believed the best officers had been Marines who had enlisted first," Tim McGraw said. "His goal was to retire as a one star general in 20 years."

His friend described him as kind and loving, someone who loved to repair things. He once use dental floss to fix speakers.

"I got two more years out of those speakers," Josh McGraw said.

"I've never known anyone who loved his wife the way he did," added Cpl. Noe Carcaches.

Home-schooled by his parents, McGraw shared a special bond with his family. The three had tattooed Ecclesiastes 4:12 on their backs: "And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

He had also helped his father lose 45 pounds in the last four months. He constantly helped his subordinates, said Sgt. Christopher Gordon, who was his superior.

"He would do anything he could to help his brothers," Gordon said.

Once asked whom he would call if he were ever kidnapped, friend and Marine Mike Leavitt blurted "Jeremiah McGraw."

"Because I knew he would get his two bothers involved and do whatever it took to get me out of it."

Staff researcher Barbara Hijek contributed to this report. Information from The Associated Press was used to supplement this report. Maria Herrera can be reached at meherrera@sun-sentinel.com or 561-243-6544.
I knew him pretty well...and usually am at the Jumps as a safety swimmer in case anyone lands in a lake, not sure how I would of handled witnessing this.

Chad
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

R.I.P. fellow brother in arms...
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Teching In

R.I.P. Brother.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

JUMPER ERROR!! ...is what it boils down to. Sorry to hear about your friends loss, I had 57 jumps when I was in and was somewhat fortunate to only injure myself twice on jumps. Nothing Major. Basically, your friend got "sky-sharked". thats the term we used in the Army. Thats when your coming down minding your own business and then some dumbass comes from the side and pretty much Sky-sharks you, causing you to get tangled up in their equipment. We use to beat them dudes asses when they did that. But your friend should of been more aware of his surroundings and slipped away. ...unless he did the sky-sharking!! Either way, sorry to hear such a sad story and I feel for you.

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastvet
JUMPER ERROR!! ...is what it boils down to. Sorry to hear about your friends loss, I had 57 jumps when I was in and was somewhat fortunate to only injure myself twice on jumps. Nothing Major. Basically, your friend got "sky-sharked". thats the term we used in the Army. Thats when your coming down minding your own business and then some dumbass comes from the side and pretty much Sky-sharks you, causing you to get tangled up in their equipment. We use to beat them dudes asses when they did that. But your friend should of been more aware of his surroundings and slipped away. ...unless he did the sky-sharking!! Either way, sorry to hear such a sad story and I feel for you.

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!
that's not what happened at all. happened coming out of the door.

but thanks.

Chad
Old 09-19-2009, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastvet

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!
You sound like a complete douche. Keep it to your ******* self. Are you a JM? It could have been a failed static line, or other major malfunction. 57 jumps and you post some immature **** a private would say. I've been at Bragg since '99, when were you here?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NBMZ/28
You sound like a complete douche. Keep it to your ******* self. Are you a JM? It could have been a failed static line, or other major malfunction. 57 jumps and you post some immature **** a private would say. I've been at Bragg since '99, when were you here?
thank you...as a Leg I wasn't going to say ****...glad you did.

This thread isn't about who's fault it was/is it was an accident and is being investigated.

what it IS about is losing a damn good Marine, he had just completed OCS and was going to be commissioned and this happened...he has 2 brothers who are also Marines.

Chad
Old 09-19-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NBMZ/28
If it happened actually coming out of the door as described the static lines became entangled inside the aircraft and it was probably jumper and jumpmaster error. A major error. Probably not a failed static line ( FYI I have 16 years on status, master rated). He should have followed entanglement procedures and ridden one chute down instead of breaking free and trying to deploy the reserve. In any case I'm sorry to hear the news.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Wow. R.I.P.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 325trooper
If it happened actually coming out of the door as described the static lines became entangled inside the aircraft and it was probably jumper and jumpmaster error. A major error. Probably not a failed static line ( FYI I have 16 years on status, master rated). He should have followed entanglement procedures and ridden one chute down instead of breaking free and trying to deploy the reserve. In any case I'm sorry to hear the news.
If they were jumping an MC1, SOP is to deploy your soft-loop center-pull (New MERPS), not to climb down to the entangled jumper. Either way, a US serviceman was lost to an unfortunate accident. RIP brother.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

RIP Brother and keep the gates of Heaven safe as all Fallon Marines do.

Semper FI
Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, im gonna have to do some jumping in a year or two. RIP.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 325trooper

RIP for the fallen brother.

On a side note we Marines usually jump from the ramp unlike the Army. When we jump we are not planning on putting a Co./Bn. or bigger on the ground so door mass attack style is not necessary.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

moment of silence

*Plays Marine Corps Hymn

*Plays National Anthem

*Stands at Present Arms for the duration of both

As stated before. see you at the pearly gates, R.I.P Devil Dog..
Old 11-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Launching!

RIP brother

Quick Reply: Marine killed in Parachute accident from my unit.