Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

veterans who served, live in illinois and go to college

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default veterans who served, live in illinois and go to college

question for anyone using the IVG(illinois veteran grant) is it only eligible in illinois? say i love to another state, will i get anything or no? im currently going to EIU and using it and am thinking of moving to cali, any thought, knowledge?

i am no longer in the army so dont say ask my unit
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Im using it right now and yeah unfortunately the ivg is only good at public illinois colleges. Heres a link that explains all the rules:

http://www.collegezone.com/studentzone/416_962.htm

However, you can use the gi bill to go to any school thats out of state tuition is equal to or less than the most expensive Illinois public university which I would guess is U of I or UIC. The gi bill also pays E5 BAH for whatever zip code the college you attend is located.

Im goin to Harper in Palatine right now and then Illinois State next year till the ivg runs out and then I might go out of state.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

til the IVG runs out?! haha maybe i should read more on this. there really isnt much to choose from in illinois on public schools, i called Depaul today to see if the ivg will work there. i really want to leave EIU and go towards chicago
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1T/A
However, you can use the gi bill to go to any school thats out of state tuition is equal to or less than the most expensive Illinois public university
Not true. Its ANY school in the state, be it private or public as long as it doesnt go above the cap that is set for that state then it will be paid in full.

If you are eligible, VA will pay your tuition & fees payment directly to the school. This payment is not to exceed the highest undergraduate tuition & fees rates at a state operated college or university (Institution of Higher Learning). This payment rate is based on the state in which the school is located - not your state of residence.
If you go to a school out of state and its tuition is higher than the allotted school tuition then you will have to pay the difference. However, a lot of schools have what is called the yellow ribbon program where they will pay the difference.

http://www.military.com/money-for-sc...n-and-fee-rate

Looks like you get far more money in Ill than CA.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Sopcich04
til the IVG runs out?! haha maybe i should read more on this. there really isnt much to choose from in illinois on public schools, i called Depaul today to see if the ivg will work there. i really want to leave EIU and go towards chicago
I knew a bunch of people who used it at University of Illinois Champaign/Urbana. So I can only assume it would work at U of I Chicago also.

Quick Reply: veterans who served, live in illinois and go to college