Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How do you INSURE a car in the AIR FORCE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you INSURE a car in the AIR FORCE?

Do you get a license at and insure it to your "home". (where the rents live). OR, do you get a license in the respective state that your base is in, and continue to get new ones, and reinsuring your car as you travel??? OR, is there some form of air force license and special military insurancE?

A timely answer is appreciated, as I wont be back at my moms house in Texas, for quite a while. I live in NJ (dont want NJ insurance, no way jose)... and have a license/car insurance from my old residence in Florida.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically you are supposed to insure it where it is going to be kept. However, I was stationed in VA for 5 years, and I always kept my insurance in FL. But there is no special military insurance
Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Most states have a 2 out of 3 rule for military members. Meaning out of license, registration/tags and insurance two of the three can be out of state without issue. For 13 years now what I have done is get a license in whatever state your stationed in (stateside) and it will be good for about the same amount of time until you PCS. That gives me the option to keep registration/tags from my home state (Tennessee) which doesn't require a front plate. I have USAA for insurance (pretty much military only insurance company) and they will cover you anywhere in the world and are a lot cheaper with better coverage then any other insurance company I have ever spoken to. Hope this helps some.
Tate
Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

both my cars are registered and licensed in ND(no emission laws ), StateFarms Insurance changes with duty station.

in conjunction with my active duty I.D. my expired ND drivers license is valid up to 30 days after separation from active duty or 30 days moving back to the state. registration is paid over the internet and new stickers mailed.

*** others might like to look into this, i called ND Dmv about registering an automobile if purchased "out of state". they said being a ND resident stationed out of state & active duty i qualify for a motor vehicle tax refund regardless if the automobile is brand new or used.

Last edited by hawk584; 12-06-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Teching In

thanks a lot. very helpful
Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nothing special needed to keep a vehicle while in the military on active duty. Keep your license, registriation,and insurance. Its a good ides to let your insurance company know where you are keeping the car though as you move around.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I had my car rearended when I was in VA and had it registered/insured in FL and the insurance company never asked why it was there.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Teching In

exactly what i wanted to hear!

I'm getting my Texas license this week.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Nevermind. Seems my Florida License has a ton of life on it, and after reviewing your posts, I won't need to surrender it for this one.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Teching In

I may be late, but let us not forget about USAA insurance.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atomyk
x100 i went with bank of amercia and they fucked me over out of hundreds of dollars while i was 2 years overseas. with fees and and ATM charges out the *** for overseas. **** them.

Go with USAA hands down. its not even a question. plus i the usual wait time for representive for bank of america was an 1 or more. for USAA i wait 2 mins tops.... it helps when your not stateside and minutes count...
Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Atomyk
+1 USAA is the ****. Compared to other insures though. To the OP and amigos, remember to add a rental car option and the towing to your insurance. It is like 4 bucks a month.

My tranny blew and USAA towed it to where I wanted up to like 16 miles and anything after that distance was about 16 - 26 cents per mile.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM
NKAWTG...N

Another USAA fan here.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Launching!

USAA is the biggest joke of an insurance company in existance. my friend had them and they were reasonably priced so i got a quote and needless to say it wasnt even close to what i was paying pure rip off. I have state farm so all i do is call my agent and say hey im stationed in xxxx state switch my coverage to ensure i am using state min at a minimum. if you cant find anybody that can beat USAA on their coverage you are A. not trying, or B. one of the worst drivers on the road. Any insurance company that bases your rates off of rank is always bias. btw i have state farm with 3 ticketts two speeding and one accident, rate on my cobra was 153.xx a month usaa for the same coverage wanted 53X.xx a month f them.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jester177
USAA is the biggest joke of an insurance company in existance. my friend had them and they were reasonably priced so i got a quote and needless to say it wasnt even close to what i was paying pure rip off. I have state farm so all i do is call my agent and say hey im stationed in xxxx state switch my coverage to ensure i am using state min at a minimum. if you cant find anybody that can beat USAA on their coverage you are A. not trying, or B. one of the worst drivers on the road. Any insurance company that bases your rates off of rank is always bias. btw i have state farm with 3 ticketts two speeding and one accident, rate on my cobra was 153.xx a month usaa for the same coverage wanted 53X.xx a month f them.
Maybe you're the joke and USAA didn't want to insure you.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jester177
yeah... im a huge USAA fan i think maybe your smokin something i pay 340 a month... for all my vehicles together and im stationed in Alaska where insurance is insane i used to have State Farm and USAA is far cheaper and i have a perfect driving record by the way.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing wrong with being stuck in Alaska fella, I'm in Kodiak. You might have a better shot at running at Palmer than me possibly
Hell USAA is good to me, I pay $88/month for the vehicles in my sig. There is liability only on the 99 TA, but the TBSS and WS6 have full coverage. I am 30, single, and have a hell of a driving record. Can't say that I'm not pleased with what I pay. I almost flipped both TA's for a 2008 Z06, and my monthly bill would have been $53/month!!! Again, USAA has always been good for me.

To the OP, you should be able to keep a FL or TX policy. The big thing is that you are going to want a good address though. They will be sending mail to the residence you end up using. Don't want someone to get ahold of personal info bro. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:00 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I keep my license from Florida, but pretty much switch everything else to the state I am in. I particularly prefer to have my insurance changed to the state I'm in,that way if something happens I know who my local agent is. They are strict about that stuff in Hawaii anyway, have to have Hawaii insurance, plates and registration.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a USAA customer also and I don't have a perfect driving record. I pay $250/mo w/ home rental insurance included and both cars are full coverage in the UK which is known for high insurance compared to the states.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blades11b
yeah... im a huge USAA fan i think maybe your smokin something i pay 340 a month... for all my vehicles together and im stationed in Alaska where insurance is insane i used to have State Farm and USAA is far cheaper and i have a perfect driving record by the way.
nope that was just for an 03 cobra nd state minimums for collision, uninsured etc, i have AAA with RV so i dont need roadside assistance. State farm is far superior to usaa when it come to rates. been that way even when i had a clean driving record rates were always off by at least $100 my 97 z28, 00 z28, 02 z28, and 03 cobra. now i will give usaa credit on them insuring you world wide like europe you cannot beat them, however if it is stateside they are easily beaten. i know a few people who are/or where in the same boat as me for insurance. I am pretty sure they also base a percentage of their rates on rank, granted when i received quotes from them on my sports cars i was a airman so who knows. so IMO they are not as great as everyone makes them out to be. if they were everyone in the mil would use them; obviously that is not the case.

also if you go to japan usaa will not cover you. you have to buy insurance from a japanese company my rx7 base on rank and plate number, and sports car is about 900 a year then i have to pay 200 anually for road tax, and every two years another 5-600 for JCI.

Quick Reply: How do you INSURE a car in the AIR FORCE?