Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Is ADAF worth getting into then ANG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is ADAF worth getting into then ANG?

My ANG recruiter says the waiver sent to be reviewed should be approved and back within 2 weeks and I should be able to swear in by then. Now certain reasons have made me want to join active Air Force. My recruiter says the AF recruiter just has to send my approved waiver to approved by them and I can join active. I've been waiting 9 long mths to get into the ANG. Anyone know how long it might take an approved waiver to be looked at? If its like a 6 month wait like it takes for an unnaproved waiver should I just go ANG. I really feel like I'm done waiting. Thanks.
If this is helps, I'm 21, finishing up my AA degree, and trying to go for aircraft maintenance jobs.
...btw the waiver is for broken bones dirtbiking like at 16. I would have been more careful on a bike had I known how long it would slow down my enlistment process!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Teching In

MX sucks dude, j-ville has EOD slots.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
MX sucks dude, j-ville has EOD slots.
Dude, you and some of your posts... Why don't you mention the pass/fail rate, and the deployment schedule those guys work. Mx isn't bad everywhere you go...

To the OP, there's no real way to tell how long the process is going to take. Why are you all of a sudden deciding to go AD? I can tell you right now, that recruiter is most likely not going to speed the process up or help you much. I'm surprised he didn't tell you to go to an AD recruiter. They get pissed when you screw them like that. I'm just really confused as to why you all of a sudden want to go AD after 9 months? I'm doin the exact opposite. I'm goin from ADAF to ADANG!!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Well I had been thinking on the premise of going ANG to finish my college degree then become officer possibly in AF, but now I feel I'd rather do what I should of done at 18 which is join active THEN guard for the travel, pay, etc. Me an my buddy were in the past week talking to a Navy recruiter and I told my ANG recruiter that an he says if your looking to go active I'll set you up with a ADAF recruiter. He and my dad agree it'd be better then navy(no offence to navy, he was in 23 yrs) even if I could go in quicker. I never went to the AF recruiter first because the three locations I'd call would be a recording. The AF recruiter I need to talk to comes in 2 days a week
Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

If you are thinking of becoming an officer, I would go AD. There are a lot of good programs to go from enlisted to officer. One of which allows you to go to school full time while getting paid at an E5 rate. Of course you have to be on AD first, submit a package, and be accepted. You will then owe them a set amount of years, new contract, for basically going the route you did. Its not something you probably want to do if you don't plan on making a career out of the military. Also, its not easy to go from guard to AD, if you are planning on making it a career. AD pensions start immediately after you retire, guard and reserve do not.

You need to talk to an AD recruiter. One of my best friends is a retired recruiter. I got lucky and met an honest one. He said recruiters can be filthy because of having to meet quota's. Do not expect legit help from the guard recruiter in seeking AD service... Totally seperate when it comes to AD or guard when it comes to recruiters. He receives no credit for you if you go AD and will, I'm sure, be bitter at wasting 9 months and you deciding to go AD.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Hey I talked to the AF recruiter today and he said he couldn't tell me when I could have the waiver approved or he'd be lying to me, but that it is better sending the approved waiver from the ANG to AF since he's had people wait up to a year to get approvals. My ANG recruiter's pretty cool about me wanting to switch, I know he's definately not hurting on recruits, like when I told him he didn't just say...WTF DUDE!, just said gotta decide whats best for you etc. But 9mths ago I should have called the national number to find an AF recruiting station that was actually there and answering calls. Thanks for the advice ImpalaSS
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

If I could get some technical advice, in the guard I was set with picking aerospace propulsion(F-15 engine mechanic), and eventually getting an airframe and powerplant license and do similar work as I got out. The AF may only have something along the lines of F-16 Crew Chief. Is there much difference and is there good civilian jobs outside doing stuff like that?

And I'm sorry Sparky, but I'm just not Billy Badass doing stuff like EOD, TAC-P, PJ, etc. I've given thought to it before, and much respect to those that do, but I'm thinking about MY future and what interests me most.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96
Dude, you and some of your posts... Why don't you mention the pass/fail rate, and the deployment schedule those guys work. Mx isn't bad everywhere you go...

To the OP, there's no real way to tell how long the process is going to take. Why are you all of a sudden deciding to go AD? I can tell you right now, that recruiter is most likely not going to speed the process up or help you much. I'm surprised he didn't tell you to go to an AD recruiter. They get pissed when you screw them like that. I'm just really confused as to why you all of a sudden want to go AD after 9 months? I'm doin the exact opposite. I'm goin from ADAF to ADANG!!
sometimes the rate is around 50%, sometimes around 90% it varies quite a bit from class to class and by service. It is 100% if you don't have the heart to try. Deployment rates aren't bad at all, i didn't join the military to not deploy.

i apologize for my anti MX stuff, i know some people really love it. I hated it and won't go back.

Originally Posted by foxrox0620
If I could get some technical advice, in the guard I was set with picking aerospace propulsion(F-15 engine mechanic), and eventually getting an airframe and powerplant license and do similar work as I got out. The AF may only have something along the lines of F-16 Crew Chief. Is there much difference and is there good civilian jobs outside doing stuff like that?

And I'm sorry Sparky, but I'm just not Billy Badass doing stuff like EOD, TAC-P, PJ, etc. I've given thought to it before, and much respect to those that do, but I'm thinking about MY future and what interests me most.

That's cool man, i knew a few props guys and they didn't have many complaints. The crew chief field is another story, it takes a special person to want to do what they do and put up with what they put up with.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=foxrox0620;12999163]If I could get some technical advice, in the guard I was set with picking aerospace propulsion(F-15 engine mechanic), and eventually getting an airframe and powerplant license and do similar work as I got out. The AF may only have something along the lines of F-16 Crew Chief. Is there much difference and is there good civilian jobs outside doing stuff like that?
QUOTE]

I was an AD F-16 Crew Chief from '96-00, and ANG until 15 months ago. I loved it. It is not for everyone, as it can be very frustrating at times (boucing between different shifts, long hours, weather, etc). If you like turning a wrench, and being outdoors, I would prefer the crew chief route. I did not like the idea of being stuck in a back shop taking apart engines every day. Even as a phase dock inspector I would get out to the flightline every few days, and I would go TDY as a flightline crew chief. To me it was the best of both worlds.

If your goal is to finish school, it is important to realize that crew chiefs don't usually have the steady schedule required to go to classes. You will most likely be taking online classes. On a side note, there are schools such as St Cloud State University that offer online classes to finish a bachelors that takes into account your military experience in aviation maintenance. If you have 2 years completed already, you can look into a degree completion program once you are active. It was called "bootstrap" when I was in. As mentioned above, you get to go to school full-time, while being paid, and when done you will be commissioned and owe the AF some more years afterwards (4/6?). If you are still young enough, and otherwise qualified, there is also the possibility of flight school later.

I personally prefer the fighter world for maintence (tactical aircraft maintence technician) but if you are single and want to travel a lot, look into the heavy world as a flying crew chief (C-5, C-17, C-130, etc).

Good luck on your decision.

Quick Reply: Is ADAF worth getting into then ANG?