Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

So uh.. Weisbaden...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So uh.. Weisbaden...

I'm heading there in late summer. Very excited about getting back to Germany!
A few questions for the Germany folks.
Is there a local forum to chat in?
Is there ANY type of GTG's in that area?
Any tuners in Germany?
How bad are the shipping prices to GE?
Are good tires easier/cheaper to get in GE?
Anyone know how much it costs to ship a car to GE?
What are the emission laws? (Can I get rid of my cats?)
What mods would you suggest for autobahn driving. (current mods in sig)

Thanks for the help y'all

Scott

Last edited by HowdyZ_28; 03-12-2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 03-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Teching In

I usually find free shipping but if I have to pay shipping its pretty cheap. They are only shipping it to a receiving center in the states, mine's in New York. I know here in Baumholder they only test to make sure the sound is under 95db and the lights work etc etc. I know some of the German testers will overlook things on cars like ours or nice trucks because they like them. I'd suggest setting up your suspension for handling corners. The nice thing about driving here no one really says is that even on back roads there's no speed limits unless posted or driving through a town.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

www.mightymustangs.net is the local/central europe for most muscle cars.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. 95db huh... How loud is that? My exhaust is in my sig, do you think I'm over 95db. I know my car is more quiet than most other F-bodies with after market exhaust.

So, mightymustangs.net is not JUST a mustang site? Guess I'll have to check it out.

Anyone else have any info that may help me out?

Thanks again.

Scott
Old 03-13-2010, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28
Thanks guys. 95db huh... How loud is that? My exhaust is in my sig, do you think I'm over 95db. I know my car is more quiet than most other F-bodies with after market exhaust.

So, mightymustangs.net is not JUST a mustang site? Guess I'll have to check it out.

Anyone else have any info that may help me out?

Thanks again.

Scott
Man,

Your so lucky to be going to wiesbaden... I love it there. My wife wants to go back there so bad. They have some serious rides there. Mostly Porsches very high end not your typical boxsters. Your car will be a local favorite. As for mods you should be ok until you arrive and then go to inspect your car to pcs out. Good luck with your new assignment
Old 03-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1badchicken
Man,

Your so lucky to be going to wiesbaden... I love it there. My wife wants to go back there so bad. They have some serious rides there. Mostly Porsches very high end not your typical boxsters. Your car will be a local favorite. As for mods you should be ok until you arrive and then go to inspect your car to pcs out. Good luck with your new assignment

When were you there? How was the housing on/off post?
Approx. how many people are stationed there? I've heard there are NO combat units there... Is that true?
Are there any type of car GTG's there?
Anything else you could tell me to help me and my family out would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28
I'm heading there in late summer. Very excited about getting back to Germany!
A few questions for the Germany folks.
Is there a local forum to chat in?
Is there ANY type of GTG's in that area?
Any tuners in Germany?
How bad are the shipping prices to GE?
Are good tires easier/cheaper to get in GE?
Anyone know how much it costs to ship a car to GE?
What are the emission laws? (Can I get rid of my cats?)
What mods would you suggest for autobahn driving. (current mods in sig)

Thanks for the help y'all

Scott
1. www.fbodyeurope.org is the fbody board , you can join whatever board you want. I myself am on quite a few over in Europe.
2. Yes we have GTG's , we usally schedule them in conjuntion with racing events. If we get a few more members we could possibly start up the monthly GTG again.
3.Yes there are tuners in Germany that can tune American iron.
4. If your parcels meet USPS size and weight limits then no problem. It only costs to ship to NY and then the Military takes over
5. Good tires are easier to get in Germany , but cost more
6. Shipping the should be no cost, but you must have it on your PCS orders. ifnot it is between 1100 to 2000 dollars.
7. Yes there are emission laws, but as of right now miliary bases donot have the equipment to test.
8. Autobahn is no different than a highway in the US, except for the unrestricted speedlimit. If your car is safe to drive on US highways the it is safe here. If your tires are crap, brakes are crap, and have drag racing type suspension, then you will have some issues with high speeds and breaking.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Teching In

I don't know how loud 95 db is exactly but the last time I registered was about 1 1/2 months ago when I bought a 1999 trans am that has shorty edelbrocks catted Y with borla catback. You have 2 options if you don't pass 1) Skills center and change the exhaust or 2) I've heard good things about steel wool lol.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I'm willing to bet that you would be over 95db...hell I was and I ended up having to put a smaller y pipe in just for inspections and then fill her up with steel wool and I still barely passed. You mentioned something about cats...well I failed my first inspection here @ Spangdahlem because of not having cats, so I had to go buy a y pipe with cats.

Last edited by chieftransam; 03-15-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chieftransam
I'm willing to bet that you would be over 95db...hell I was and I ended up having to put a smaller y pipe in just for inspections and then fill her up with steel wool and I still barely passed. You mentioned something about cats...well I failed my first inspection here @ Spangdahlem because of not having cats, so I had to go buy a y pipe with cats.

Thing is: my car isn't loud (in comparrison to most after market exhaust F-bodies) until I really get on it.
When warmed up she just has that deep purr of TD's.

So, we're shipping the family car on uncle Sams dime and I have to pay to ship the SS over.
Just hoping it's not much over $2000 (would've had to pay that anyway to get it back to mainland).

Scott
Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Teching In

They take the measurements at 3000rpm I believe so if its not loud then I wouldn't worry about it. Hell maybe the guy would do pass you for 20euro, it's not like it's a real elaborate system they have.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had MAC mids/catted Y and SLP loudmouth. had 116bB. Welded in a bullet muffler instead of the resonator and welded the right exhaust shut and had 98dB. Stuff steel wool in the left and passed at 94dB. Just to give you an idea
Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

See I'm headed to Bamberg Germany in Febuary and as you can see in my signature I have Longtube headers with Y-pipe and a Hooker exhaust...wonder if putting a set of Random Tech Cats would help
Old 04-12-2010, 05:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

BTW do they really make you take off your tint on the windows? I would really hate to do that.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:58 AM
roy
TECH Resident

No tint on front windshield, driver and pass front side windows.

Quick Reply: So uh.. Weisbaden...