Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Pay Deduction Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pay Deduction Question

Tried doing a few searches online but can't find what I'm looking for. What are typical deductions from military checks? I.E., taxes, medical, etc. I'm leaving in in Sept and trying to gauge what I'll be making once I hit boot camp. I'm sure it's far less then my pay now, but I like to budget in advance. Besides I'm debating on paying a few things off before leaving or just keep them as monthly payments. I'll be hitting basic as an E-3. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

If they deduct anything under "medical" or "insurance"... you're in the wrong boot camp! As an E-3, you'll start at $1706.00 per month... Not great pay, but you'll have free housing and meals throughout boot. Technically, you'll always have both free as long as you're on active duty. You'll have to get more specific info from someone who's either in or recently was(at that pay grade) in your home state. Pay seems to vary accordingly, though I have no idea why considering it's the same military. After boot camp, things will change depending on your specific title(and work) as well as where you're stationed(overseas can be duty(tax) free). You should be able to get a rough idea of the taxes you'll be paying based on IRS tax tables.

Typical deductions will likely be the same things your typical pay has taken out now, (usually) minus any county or municipality taxes as well as insurance or 401K type things.

Some states don't tax military pay. Some don't have a state tax at all(including TX as you surely know). You will have deduction for SS and Medicare, but maybe nothing else.

This may offer some help... http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...ds/bltaxes.htm
Old 05-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fica, fed, sgli, and gi bill, iirc.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think you have to pay into the GI Bill anymore...could be wrong but I that the post 9/11 GI Bill was free. When I came in I had to pay $100 a month for 12 months.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

keep your payments.. save the money during your basic and then decide how to pay everything off..

and i'm pretty sure you only pay $1200 into your GI bill.. and trust me I will be using mine..It is a good safety net once you get out..
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i highly recommend saving $$.. having a guaranteed'ish money flow is enticing and deceitful. for how ever many years you committed to, them years will fly by faster then you think. save the money till your reenlistment comes up....

Last edited by hawk584; 06-02-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:59 AM
Teching In

you wont pay state taxes to texas while active, my home of record is still back in texas and i dont pay taxes to the state. Also are you married have kids, that allows you to receive BAH and seperation, which is based off of your zip code
Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MickT/AWS6
you wont pay state taxes to texas while active, my home of record is still back in texas and i dont pay taxes to the state. Also are you married have kids, that allows you to receive BAH and seperation, which is based off of your zip code
Nice. Single and no children. Can't wait for BAH although.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't get BAH til you put on atleast SrA and leave off-base however you can live off base if your gaining base doesn't have a room for you to live in the dorms.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
keep your payments.. save the money during your basic and then decide how to pay everything off..

and i'm pretty sure you only pay $1200 into your GI bill.. and trust me I will be using mine..It is a good safety net once you get out..
Per my recruiter, you no longer have to pay the 12 months of $100 for the G.I. Bill. Supposely that stopped when Post 9/11 kicked in.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bruser's LS1
Per my recruiter, you no longer have to pay the 12 months of $100 for the G.I. Bill. Supposely that stopped when Post 9/11 kicked in.
Recruiters lie, i wouldnt believe anything that wasnt in writing. you dont have to pay into the GI Bill, but you wont get the GI Bill when you get out. the only way to get the GI bill is to pay into it. It works off intrest. you pay 100 bucks for your first 12 months of pay then you stop paying it. And when you get out then you get the Bill. As of last year in july I was paying mine off and i dont think anything has changed since then
Old 06-02-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

I recently saw something over at military.com saying the GI Bill was now part of enlistment at no cost. I don't know who wrote it though, so I can't verify truth. I had to pay it... then couldn't use it anyway(qualification changed for the better in my case), but that was the 80's... I'm certain many things have changed since then.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bruser's LS1
He is correct in saying thats what his recruiter said. Ive had 3 recruiters tell me the same thing...but 4 diff people straight out of tech school say that isnt the case.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Teching In

i payed into it and my brother just got out of AIT and he is still paying it off, but i dunno everything's changing now a days. Hell the points system and board are going all whacky from when i joined, but as anyone and everyone in or has been in the service. EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE, nothing is definitive but change lol, well that and the hurry up and wait rule
Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

if you enroll in the GI Bill, you no longer pay into it. Its the Post 9/11 GI Bill. For those of us that paid into the MGIB, you will receive about 1200-ish bucks extra after your GI Bill is exhausted. Think of it as paying you back, but forward. w/e. Not all Recruiters lie. Thats prolly why I failed at Recruiting. But eff it. Theres the info, you dont wanna believe it, go look it up for yourself. I have.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^ Accurate information, no longer required to pay into the MGI Bill, as it has got to the Post 9/11 bill which is free. The rest of us that paid into it prior will just get it back later...
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jasonk
^^^^ Accurate information, no longer required to pay into the MGI Bill, as it has got to the Post 9/11 bill which is free.
Many are saying this now, and this is what I remember reading on the military.com site.
The rest of us that paid into it prior will just get it back later...
Heh... I won't be holding my breath on the check arriving, that's for sure!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Heh... I won't be holding my breath on the check arriving, that's for sure!
as the saying goes the checks in the mail, all GI types know it takes far longer for the GOVT to pay out money, than to collect
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

let me clear up the GI bill and post 9/11

GI bill you pay 100$ a month up to 1200$

Post 9/11 if free

they are 2 separate things and you will choose which one you want in basic. if you choose GI bill you can get your money back by switching to post 9/11 BUT ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE PAID THE FULL 1200$.

Also.. you can't transfer the GI bill to family like recruiters say, but you can transfer the post 9/11 BUT ONLY AFTER 10 YEARS IN SERVICE.

i hope this helps

Quick Reply: Pay Deduction Question