Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Camp Lejeune Marines!!! - Question... thinking about PCSing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camp Lejeune Marines!!! - Question... thinking about PCSing

Long story short; I'm currently a PMI at Parris Island and I'm thinking about requesting orders to Lejeune. Kinda wondering if any of you live on the Base housing there, how nice is it, what kinda drive am I looking at going from there to Courthouse Bay. FYI, I'm a SGT w/ dependants, second child on the way. What is my housing suggestion looking like?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I retired from Lejeune a number of years ago. When I was there, you could opt to live on New River even if you worked on mainside. I don't know if that's still the case, so maybe someone there now will comment. But, if you can get on New River, CHB is a pretty fast and easy drive. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never lived in base housing but having spent a lot of time there it looks hit and miss. If you live off base on the backside near the bay it will be a short drive, but correct me someone if I'm wrong but there is not much housing for enlisted near the bay.

It's seperated from mainside by 5 mile road, which is a little drive.
What are you going to be doing at courthouse bay? Going to be a school teacher or back to recon?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

When I was stationed there, there was a waiting list for base housing. I went to some of my Marines on base homes when I was there. They were not nice at all and I was happy to have leased a place in a nice subdivision. Just go to a reputable realtor office about renting/leasing. Ask fellow NCO's and SNCO's. I liked the neighborhood that I lived in. If I remember right is was Deerfield on the far side of Jacksonville.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NebWS6
What are you going to be doing at courthouse bay? Going to be a school teacher or back to recon?
I'm debating on requesting orders right now. Currently I'm teaching at PI, but my primary is 1833 - AAVs. Looking to potentially go back to finish out the two years remaining on my contract. Been in for almost 6 years now but I'm planning to get out. The depot itself is decent but the town blows, I'm just hating the area.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hey

My brother is stationed there and he lives off base he said they were shitty
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
I'm debating on requesting orders right now. Currently I'm teaching at PI, but my primary is 1833 - AAVs. Looking to potentially go back to finish out the two years remaining on my contract. Been in for almost 6 years now but I'm planning to get out. The depot itself is decent but the town blows, I'm just hating the area.
Forgot about the AAV's out there.
Like 02 blk ws6 said....there are good area's and crappy ones, just comes with living near a military base I guess. The base housing doesn't look the best from the outside (I have never been inside) and they always take the full rate of your BAH for base housing rent. If you were to rent I think you could get a better rental house for the money... I may be wrong because I never lived out in town.

As far as hating the town.... well you may or may not like jacksonville... it's a small town atmosphere, and some of the locals aren't the greatest...haha
It is close to the beach and wilmington which to me is a night and day difference compared to lejeune. I had a friend that actually lived in wilmington because he hated lejeune and made the drive everyday.
I say drive up there and have a look for yourself.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

BAse housing on lejeune has changed a lot in the past few years. Midway park still has some of the older model homes but they are getting torn down and new ones are being built. TT1 has newer homes, some nicer than others of course, but I find them pretty decent. The whole thing is money when it comes to base housing, e-3 and below might as well live in an apt out in town because they could make money with BAH. As a sergeant I dont see why you would have a problem with the finances living in base housing. I would suggest taking a trip up here one weekend and checking out the three off base housing sections, TT1 TT2 and midway park. I havent seen the neighborhood that is actually on base but I hear its nice, just harder to get in to.

Quick Reply: Camp Lejeune Marines!!! - Question... thinking about PCSing