Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

can the gate guard give me a ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can the gate guard give me a ticket?

i am currently staitoned at mcguire afb, nj and today the gate guard gave me crap about not having a front plate on my car. the car is registered in ny and ny requires a front plate. the guard was not security forces, it was some D.O.D. police or something; civilians that work the gate with SF. he said that i had to drill a bracket into my bumper and if he saw me driving without the plate again he would give me a ticket. can i get a ticket in nj for a ny law? and if i get a ticket then i gotta go to my first shirt correct? any input would be appreciated. i guess they got nothin better to do at the gate
Old 07-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They can only pull you over for NJ law. Why would they enforce NY law in NJ state?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

i have no idea why they would enforce it or if they are even allowed to. i can see maybe a nj cop giving me trouble but the gate guard? threw me off a little because i drive through new york with no front plate and the state troopers have never pulled me over. if i get a ticket i wanna know if i will be able to fight it.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

The gate guards have no legal authority to do it, but they can hold you and SF can come and give you one. Just because your not in that state doesn't mean you don't have to play by the rules. It's like tint laws, if the state that your vehicle is registered says 20% is the darkest you can go and your at 5% in a different state then your still wrong if your. Maybe put a plate in your windshield and show it that way? Maybe they will be more open to that idea vs not having one at all.
Tate

Last edited by Compg; 07-19-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Compg
The gate guards have no legal authority to do it, but they can hold you and SF can come and give you one. Just because your not in that doesn't mean you don't have to play by the rules. It's like tint laws, if your state your vehicle is registered says 20% and your at 5% in a different state then your still wrong. Maybe put a plate in your windshield and show it that way? Maybe they will be more open to that idea vs not having one at all.
Tate
This makes no since. 20% in your state and 5% in another? Explain that please. From my law enforcement experience I would say, the DOD gate guard can enforce what he's jurisdiction is. I would say that it would be DOD installations and the State he/she is currently in (maybe). Bottom line, call the SP squadron and ask them.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

its just weird cuz i havent gotten any complaints from anyone at the gate since i bought the car 4 months ago. will be looking into this monday
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front License plate fix!

They started giving me **** at Randolph. Here is my fix.

And he can give you a ticket if your state requires a plate in the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWChXn9GO7Q
Old 07-19-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes, you must have a front license plate. i know we all hate it, but you have to atleast display it. my front plate is on my dash board.

honestly, it just depends on the gate guard.. you will have cool ones, and then youll have some that really try to do their jobs and enforce stuff. civilian gate guards like what was mentioned can pull you aside and have an actual SF member cite you.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1
This makes no since. 20% in your state and 5% in another? Explain that please. From my law enforcement experience I would say, the DOD gate guard can enforce what he's jurisdiction is. I would say that it would be DOD installations and the State he/she is currently in (maybe). Bottom line, call the SP squadron and ask them.

Just saying you have to play by the rules from where your vehicle is registered. The tint reference was say I'm registered in TN and darkest tint allowed there is 20% but I'm stationed in TX and rolling around with 5% tint, then I'm wrong and can be ticketed in TX if the cop knows the TN tint laws. Hope that clears that up.
And civilian gate guards have no legal authority and can not ticket anyone. They can however hold you at the gate until SF get there who do have the legal authority to ticket you for violating the law.
Tate
Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
They can only pull you over for NJ law. Why would they enforce NY law in NJ state?
This is wrong. IF they know the NY law, they can enforce it. I deal w/ it in ND regarding my tint, which is only 20%, but meters at 8%. Regardless, I specifically asked a hwy patrol that pulled me over and he said he knows that tint is not allowed at all in NJ, and I still rock NJ plates. All the others have just pulled me over because it looked too dark, and then ticketed me when they read it at such a low percent. I've actually been metered at 5% one night before...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Teching In

ok so here is what I know for fact as I had the same situation, You must obide by the law of the state your car is registered in on base. so you must have it displayed, but if the law is similar to ohio law there is a grey area, and by this I mean nothing says it must be mounted on the bumper, only visible within a certain distance from the front of the car. so I would print a copy of the law and keep the plate on the dash (I mounted mine to the passenger sun visor so I can flip it up and down) and let him have it next time he gives you crap. you win b/c you can provide documentation and he cannot, and thats what the military is all about.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Launching!

im pretty sure the base cannot give you a citation for for a state law. even if they do the worst thing that is going to happen is you cannot drive on base. gate gaurds are basically renta security with no real authority.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jester177
im pretty sure the base cannot give you a citation for for a state law. even if they do the worst thing that is going to happen is you cannot drive on base. gate gaurds are basically renta security with no real authority.
I just talked to a co-worker. He was Security Forces. If you are Military, you get a ticket but you do not pay. It goes to the 1st shirt. For Civilians on base, GS and CTR, it is a ticket that you have to pay.

I think in this case, if he got a ticket for no front plate, he would not have to pay, if he is Military.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

If you have on base point limits be careful though. I was stationed at a Naval base, they had a 12 points in 12 month policy, if you exceeded that you weren't allowed to drive on base. I did receive one ticket in the 3.5 years I was out at NAS Lemoore, for being double parked of all things. You know what wasn't funny though? 4 points for being double parked! So not sure if all branches do this points on base thing or not, but well as my story shows if security is having a boring day they could do some ridiculous things like this.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slowridn73
You must obide by the law of the state your car is registered in on base.
This. If you have any other questions.....we have a few people from out of state who are stationed at McGuire AFB at www.njfboa.org/forums (NJ F-body Owners Assoc.)
Old 07-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96
This is wrong. IF they know the NY law, they can enforce it....
I guess it's up to the regs of the base then, because I had my car w/ texas plate, I removed the front plate when I was stationed in LRAFB, AR. I didn't get bothered at all w/ the SPs for the year I had the out of state plate w/ just one plate showing on the car. In texas its a requirement to have both front and rear plates showing on the car however in AR it only requires one, at the rear.

Even the troopers of AR didn't bother me w/ that.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

ive never been bothered by anyone except for this one guy and thats it. i have yet to see him again and no other renta cops have said a single word
Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
I just talked to a co-worker. He was Security Forces. If you are Military, you get a ticket but you do not pay. It goes to the 1st shirt. For Civilians on base, GS and CTR, it is a ticket that you have to pay.

I think in this case, if he got a ticket for no front plate, he would not have to pay, if he is Military.
The no fine thing on base for military members is starting to change in places. I think it's probably a installation commander policy. I saw a guy in my squadron get a ticket on Ft. Polk and he had a fine to pay. He did some research and found it's becoming more popular.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1
The no fine thing on base for military members is starting to change in places. I think it's probably a installation commander policy. I saw a guy in my squadron get a ticket on Ft. Polk and he had a fine to pay. He did some research and found it's becoming more popular.
yes, any time you get ticket on base its just a meeting with the shirt. I got pulled over only once in 8 years. It was for my tag frame covering part of the expiration sticker. He was a E3 with nothing else better to do i guess. I talked with my fellow SF SGT friend and made sure he understood not pull me over again unless it was worth a damn.

Even then you got so many points on your "base license" then your suspended from driving on base.

Quick Reply: can the gate guard give me a ticket?