Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Got a ship date!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a ship date!

Took about 10 months but the AF found me a slot in Fire Protection. Leaving the 14th of December.
I took my PAST for TACP about 6 months ago but this came up first. And Im still excited about it. Ive heard a lot of good things about this job and hey there is still a possibility of getting TACP later down the road.

Still havent decided my "Dream sheet" for assignment locations. Anywhere I should stay away from?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man just wanted to say congrats it must feel awesome to finally have a date. Dep'd in weeks ago and ready for the real wait now. Anyways congrats.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. What jobs are on your list?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

stay away from anywhere north or midwestern
Old 08-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shamson5.7
Thanks man. What jobs are on your list?
At meps I put down Intel Applications, Space Systems, Cyber Security Systems, UAS sensor operator, NDI, and open electrical. I went back to the recruiters office and then put down like 15 more mos's and added open general. Yeah definately not job locked at this point, but congrats again.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brave man for putting open general :X
Youll probably have a job locked in a LOT sooner than I did. I had Aerial Gunner, Fire Protection, In-flight refueling and TACP. Didnt qualify for top secret clearance for IFR though.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

Brave man for putting open general :X
Youll probably have a job locked in a LOT sooner than I did. I had Aerial Gunner, Fire Protection, In-flight refueling and TACP. Didnt qualify for top secret clearance for IFR though.
Lol, damn, your second guessing me now. I was going to put some more jobs I forgot at the recruiters office later, but wondering if I should remove open general. The only two jobs I wouldn't want are services and security forces, but all the intel jobs are on it. I just thought having a sorta high general aptitude asvab score(like mid 80's) would qualify for enough jobs at BMT that I wouldn't have to put down something I wouldn't want.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

I would have wanted the TACP slot. Although, its definitely not a job for everyone.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brians91formula
I would have wanted the TACP slot. Although, its definitely not a job for everyone.
I still plan to go TACP at some point in my career. It's pretty much my dream job of the USAF. I know I have the right mentality for that job and its training.

From my understanding right now if I were to refuse being booked for FP Id be discharged. Its really not a big deal. I wanted FP the day I went in to see the recruiter anyhow.

Originally Posted by foxrox0620
The only two jobs I wouldn't want are services and security forces, .
$10 says you get security forces :X Yes Id change that if you could. A lot of DEPers in my area went open gen and got security forces.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

$10 says you get security forces :X Yes Id change that if you could. A lot of DEPers in my area went open gen and got security forces.
So they're already at SF tech school? Did they say it was all BMT had that week for people with open general contracts? It would be nice to get an AD member to either reinforce the saying that open general=SF or disspell it.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im really not sure. I dont talk too much to people in my DEP other than their job situations. Dont really have much info on that man :/

Ive heard way too many horror stories about open general, but again its just my opinion.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

Im really not sure. I dont talk too much to people in my DEP other than their job situations. Dont really have much info on that man :/

Ive heard way too many horror stories about open general, but again its just my opinion.
Yeah I'll probably remove it on monday, I'll still have open electrical.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Teching In

open general is usually high chances of becoming a cop or a cook.

the firehouse will give you LOTS of time to train up for the next few years for hurby, just don't get fat and lazy.

Quick Reply: Got a ship date!